Scrimmage #2 Thoughts and Updates

Okiefan

30 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

QB 1 Rogers, QB 2 Rudder/Earle  I think Rogers gets the Nod for now because of his feet when things break down he can make plays with his feet that the other two I don't think can. 

Offensive identity go faster, nope not fast enough even faster, get lined up and run the play called.  We are primarily 10 personnel with some 11 mixed in.  I don't think they've added any QB Run game stuff yet because the QB's are whistled dead right now so why waste a snap when it will be quick whistle.  Receiving corps is DEEP.  Shorter appears to be done until the fall to recover from whatever injury he sustained.  The new WR from Tech is the real deal, Dee Brown is healthy and making some guys look silly, and Maclin is also the real deal.  Been impressed with the OL play.  The defense brings crazy exotic looks and blitzes and for the most part in the 2 scrimmages the OL has held up really well IMO.  They've busted but not as much as you'd expect with as much pressures and stunts as they've seen. 

Qualon Farrar is the real deal he scored a few times today and he can FLY!! Another SOC signee going to do big things for us. 

Defensive standouts to me has been a team effort, impressed with all 11 guys that step on the field each time.  They FLY to the football, are asked do a little bit of everything and they communicate better than any defense I've seen at UNT since the Zach Orr Marcus Trice team.  They are very stingy with yardage today was the first time any long runs were broken on them in the 2 scrimmages and 1 got called back for a holding penalty that I didn't see but if the ref called it, it happened.  Probably most impressed with the DL play so far, followed by the safeties flying down hill and making tackles. 

Kicking game I will hold judgment on.  Punter looks like he can absolutely hammer the ball and not only flip the field but put the other teams offense in a bad spot to start the drive.

Your QB 1 shouldn’t be going 2-5-1 for eight yards in a scrimmage.  Something happen physically that hasn’t been mentioned? 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Tate said:

What the heck has happened to Gunnell since the days he was a 4* from TAPPS, and played some his first two years under Sumlin at AZ? Overrated? Achilles changed him? Burnout?

I don't see Rogers transferring without being told it's his job to lose... But I'm encouraged by Ruder and Stone.

He still has the talent, he just needs help with his footwork.  Seth not having a QB coach after Tate left certainly didn’t help in Grant’s development.  Let’s be patient.  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Tate said:

What the heck has happened to Gunnell since the days he was a 4* from TAPPS, and played some his first two years under Sumlin at AZ? Overrated? Achilles changed him? Burnout?

I don't see Rogers transferring without being told it's his job to lose... But I'm encouraged by Ruder and Stone.

That's not what Morris does, he usually gives it to the players straight. There's a story from his time at Tech when Mahomes was there that he was on a visit with Jarrett Stidham who was already verbally committed and when his dad and he asked Morris about being the starter immediately Morris responded that he'd have to compete for it.  Stidham decommitted and went to baylor.  So, if anything he's honest to a fault. 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

That's not what Morris does, he usually gives it to the players straight. There's a story from his time at Tech when Mahomes was there that he was on a visit with Jarrett Stidham who was already verbally committed and when his dad and he asked Morris about being the starter immediately Morris responded that he'd have to compete for it.  Stidham decommitted and went to baylor.  So, if anything he's honest to a fault. 

Wondering which one will be a better player

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Tate said:

I don't see Rogers transferring without being told it's his job to lose...

I hope for God sake that we didn't promise him the job if he transfers. Right now, Jace looks the best and deserves to be the starter. I hope they don't give the job to a guy just because he transferred or because he was once recruited by the HC. You give the job to the guy who has performed the best and that as of now is Jace Ruder.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Venson said:

I hope for God sake that we didn't promise him the job if he transfers. Right now, Jace looks the best and deserves to be the starter. I hope they don't give the job to a guy just because he transferred or because he was once recruited by the HC. You give the job to the guy who has performed the best and that as of now is Jace Ruder.

Jace has looked better for sure but lets tap the brakes on starting job.

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

47 minutes ago, Venson said:

My only concern is that he's a senior. Do we give him the reins for just one year and risk losing the others to the portal?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

My only concern is that he's a senior. Do we give him the reins for just one year and risk losing the others to the portal?

Let's just say that Jace only has this upcoming year left, then the guys behind him should be willing to wait to take the reigns. If they jump in the portal because of that, then we didn't need them here anyway IMO. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Venson said:

Let's just say that Jace only has this upcoming year left, then the guys behind him should be willing to wait to take the reins. If they jump in the portal because of that, then we didn't need them here anyway IMO. 

He has two years left. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I am not concerned because this is the HC’s first year.  I trust that if it is close they give the job to the QB with more eligibility left.  

This is just another reason why letting Seth coach the 2022 season was a waste.  Our program just doesn’t have the prestige to keep talented guys on the bench from considering the portal.  Someone besides Aune probably should have started most of the year.  That 2022 team’s ceiling was low and Aune’s performance wasn’t going to be a force multiplier.  That team got lucky to earn a bowl game and probably would have stayed home without a shortage of bowl eligible teams.  So if you are going into a season that your best performance throughout the season won’t earn you a bowl appearance, decisions with an eye on subsequent seasons hold a little more value.   But position battles have to be really close to consider factors beyond their practice/scrimmage performance at this stage.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I am not concerned bwas low and Aune’s performance wasn’t going to be a force multiplier.  That team got lucky to earn a bowl game and probably would have stayed home without a shortage of bowl eligible teams. 

You mean the team that earned its way into the conference championship game? Say what you want about Littrell but most of those players are still here and they don’t deserve the disrespect.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Venson said:

Let's just say that Jace only has this upcoming year left, then the guys behind him should be willing to wait to take the reigns. If they jump in the portal because of that, then we didn't need them here anyway IMO. 

If we have a coaching staff that is making decisions based on hoping to keep players out of the portal we made some mistakes in the coaches we hired. I surely do not believe that's the case with the staff we have.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Venson said:

I am not saying Jace should be the starter. What I am saying is let's not just give it to a guy because he transferred or was recruited at one time by the HC. Let's give it to the guy who is best and earned it. If that's Jace, great. If that's Rogers, great. If that's any other QB on the roster, great. Just don't give it to a guy because he transferred.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

12 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

6’3” 230lbs he looks good and remember he also has the wheels to turn it up field. 

6 hours ago, Ghost of Tate said:

Who?

Jace Ruder 

For whatever my opinion is worth, let me just say that, (as of yesterday's scrimmage) Jace Ruder is probably the best QB throwing the ball and he is also the best QB running the ball......when he chooses to do so. But the thing is that he just doesn't choose to do so that often. But when he does it's very impressive. I was bringing up that very subject to Hunter Green last week, when Ruder took a snap, and because of a sudden pass rush and no time to set up and throw, took off running. Before either of us could utter a word, Ruder had zipped between two DL's, and was about 25 yards down the field before the ref's blew the whistle to end the play.

Based on what I've seen last year and this spring. Jace Ruder is the most talented QB on the team. And that was the case last year...even more so than Austin Aune .....although many on this board think that that's a pretty low bar. He not only has the strongest arm, but his release/motion is both quick and effortless. I've already covered his running ability. 

So, what the hell happened last year that got him sitting on the bench? 

Did he lose confidence in himself? Was he arrogant and uncoachable?

I just know that raw ability was not the issue.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jace Ruder 

For whatever my opinion is worth, let me just say that, (as of yesterday's scrimmage) Jace Ruder is probably the best QB throwing the ball and he is also the best QB running the ball......when he chooses to do so. But the thing is that he just doesn't choose to do so that often. But when he does it's very impressive. I was bringing up that very subject to Hunter Green last week, when Ruder took a snap, and because of a sudden pass rush and no time to set up and throw, took off running. Before either of us could utter a word, Ruder had zipped between two DL's, and was about 25 yards down the field before the ref's blew the whistle to end the play.

Based on what I've seen last year and this spring. Jace Ruder is the most talented QB on the team. And that was the case last year...even more so than Austin Aune .....although many on this board think that that's a pretty low bar. He not only has the strongest arm, but his release/motion is both quick and effortless. I've already covered his running ability. 

So, what the hell happened last year that got him sitting on the bench? 

Did he lose confidence in himself? Was he arrogant and uncoachable?

I just know that raw ability was not the issue.

Sounds like Morris is still running with the 1s.    So was it just last year, or also likely this year?

I haven’t made it out there yet, so appreciate the reports and thoughts of those of you who have.

• Upvote 2