2023 Roster

22 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He’s given UNT a lot, I feel like moving on (like pro) or going to a much higher caliber school, not Tech because I doubt Mac would recruit against Hodge he’s too nice.

We will see in the next few weeks what he does, I’m certain he’s changed his mind a bit with this McCasland move from what I originally heard/thought.

• Sad 1

I wish TP well, but I freaking hate what college sports have become. The truth is the overwhelming number of players and coaches don't care about the schools/jobs they are at. At this point, I would prefer for both players and coaches not to come out talking about how they care about the school or the community anymore. Play the games and go about your business. After all, it's becoming clearer and clearer that this is a business, and there are little to no personal attachments to the schools anymore.

Also, I have said this before, IMO, the days of being expected to watch how we criticize and comment on individual players are over. Noy in any way condoning verbal abuse, but when they play badly, it should be acceptable to call them out. 

** Again, not a bash on TP, but rather the state of the college sports.

Edited by El Paso Eagle

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I wish TP well, but I freaking hate what college sports have become. The truth is the overwhelming number of players and coaches don't care about the schools/jobs they are at. At this point, I would prefer for both players and coaches not to come out talking about how they care about the school or the community anymore. Play the games and go about your business. After all, it's becoming clearer and clearer that this is a business, and there are little to no personal attachments to the schools anymore.

Also, I have said this before, IMO, the days of being expected to watch how we criticize and comment on individual players are over. Noy in any way condoning verbal abuse, but when they play badly, it should be acceptable to call them out. 

Look man I understand the sentiment but you've gotta look at it from a neutral perspective... Anybody is constantly looking to place themselves in the best position to succeed. If you ever get the opportunity to better yourself and follow your dream in a position that's best suited for your dreams, you take it. UNT simply isn't at the point where it's the best opportunity for players. TP did what pretty much any aspiring kid would do.

You simply can't get mad when somebody follows their own dreams and has enough respect for themselves to push themselves out there. I mean look at the state of UNT... Terrible attendance, terrible basketball facilities, virtually non existent NIL deals... I love UNT but you've gotta understand why players and coaches are always looking for the next best thing when they're here. 

That's the whole part of being a fan... You cheer for your team and you stay on board to see your program elevate itself to the best it can be

• Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

And HELL YES IT IS A BUSINESS... What do you think the goal is?? He wants to play basketball for as long as he possibly can... That means putting himself in a position for the NBA 

3 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

but you've gotta look at it from a neutral perspective...

That is an absolutely moronic comment. I am not now, nor will I ever be, "neutral" regarding MY University. With all due respect, tired of people saying that everyone should accept it. 

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

That is an absolutely moronic comment. I am not now, nor will I ever be, "neutral" regarding MY University. With all due respect, tired of people saying that everyone should accept it. 

Nor should you, I am just trying to help you understand the nature of modern day college athletics. I was hoping that could take some of the confusion and anger away from you. 

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, rojomojo said:

Nor should you, I am just trying to help you understand the nature of modern day college athletics. I was hoping that could take some of the confusion and anger away from you. 

I understand it completely. But that does not mean I will ever think it's better; it's just different and I understand that's the way it's gonna be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I understand it completely. But that does not mean I will ever think it's better; it's just different and I understand that's the way it's gonna be.

We've gotta get our NIL systems set up... That's a huge key

• Upvote 2

Yes, NT will have to be competitive in the NIL game; however NT will never be able to outbid college powers for players.

Lower level teams will basically be training centers for big money teams to pick and choose which players to bid for.  

What is most likely is that the major teams will recruit few high school or even juco players; but concentrate on signing transfers.  The G5 class schools will be able to recruit more high school players, but those that are very good will  be gone as soon as they get a big NIL buyoff for a major program.  

If this is not changed and I have little hope, basketball will be just like football were only about 30 teams can consistently compete.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, NT will have to be competitive in the NIL game; however NT will never be able to outbid college powers for players.

Lower level teams will basically be training centers for big money teams to pick and choose which players to bid for.  

What is most likely is that the major teams will recruit few high school or even juco players; but concentrate on signing transfers.  The G5 class schools will be able to recruit more high school players, but those that are very good will  be gone as soon as they get a big NIL buyoff for a major program.  

If this is not changed and I have little hope, basketball will be just like football were only about 30 teams can consistently compete.  

LSU Women's basketball team had 9 players transfer in this year and on the NCAA tournament . We may not like this change in college sports but it is what it is. I am so old that I remember when college football players played both ways , ran the single wing, and wore leather helmets. Oh well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

LSU Women's basketball team had 9 players transfer in this year and on the NCAA tournament . We may not like this change in college sports but it is what it is. I am so old that I remember when college football players played both ways , ran the single wing, and wore leather helmets. Oh well.

Couldn’t even play first couple years on campus.

• Upvote 1