He is gone.

22 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

He's definitely earned it.

If we lose our Men's BBall HC every 6 years to a P5 because we're winning championships most every year, then I'll be just fine.   🙂

Time to build on this success and get ready for AAC basketball, a conference that actually gets more than 1 team into the NCAA each year!!

If you have to lose your coaches, this is the way you would like to do it. I am thankful for everything he did for us and wish him the best( that is unless he takes two or three players with him 🤬🤣)

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, intrepid said:

The McCasland deal has been in place for a week. Hodge is going to be the next HC at UNT. That's been known to everyone. Players knew. Local media knew. Unfortunately a small handful of media folks couldn't maintain a sufficient amount of professionalism to let things play out. It was handled as well as could be handled. McCasland is going to bring a couple of staff members to Tech but some will stay to continue on with Hodge. 

I told a fellow alum that Grant probably knew he was moving days ago. Hoping no key players join him. 

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Do you always look at your screen when you Type??

I always check.  If you value respect (which, I believe Andrew does.  Based on how you speak about loyalty), you should consider grammar and spelling.  A raging 13 year old venting on a video game chat isn't going to command a ton of respect.  Inversely, when you consistently spell correctly and speak clearly, you will command more respect.

At least try to look like the latter.  You don't have to be perfect, but man! are you missing marks.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

How old is Ross Hodge?

Had to do some digging because he doesn't have a Wikipedia page (yet). He played two seasons and graduated from Texas A&M Commerce in 2003 after playing at Paris Junior College. I would estimate he graduated high school in 1999 placing him around 42-43 years young.

https://lionathletics.com/news/2016/9/20/lion-athletics-announces-2016-hall-of-fame-class.aspx

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Had to do some digging because he doesn't have a Wikipedia page (yet). He played two seasons and graduated from Texas A&M Commerce in 2003 after playing at Paris Junior College. I would estimate he graduated high school in 1999 placing him around 42-43 years young.

https://lionathletics.com/news/2016/9/20/lion-athletics-announces-2016-hall-of-fame-class.aspx

Literally the perfect age

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Very disappointing news. Especially in the wake of learning that FAU will be keeping Dusty May.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1641576569452806145

If we are going to rise in the college athletics landscape, we have to be able to keep our prized coaches. Sure Hodge is great, but we have to kick the perception of being a stepping stone. If FAU can do it, we should be able to also. 

He had accepted the job over a week ago at least.  My dad broke the news to me which was shocking but his source is all too credible and certainly in the know (not associated with our program).  BTW Dusty was an assistant at Florida when he was hired and his record at FAU (before this year) is not really impressive.  Certainly going into year 5 I doubt a lot of their fans were super happy about him being coach.

image.png

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He thought about it. He is selling out for the money. Grass is greener on the other side, but have you seen the grass in Lubbock. 

What do you mean "selling out for the money"? You are telling us that you would turn down a job in your chosen field in a location that was acceptable to you and your family at 3 times your present income guaranteed for 6 years. Right.......

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, wardly said:

What do you mean "selling out for the money"? You are telling us that you would turn down a job in your chosen field in a location that was acceptable to you and your family at 3 times your present income guaranteed for 6 years. Right.......

Speculation. We don't know what UNT countered to keep him. 

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Wow a 6 year deal, for $18M, is it all guaranteed?  Texas only gave Terry a 5 year deal at $15.3 (Beard was making $5.2 a season at Texas).  For Mac that is a amazing deal, considering he has not been a head coach at that level nor has he recruited at that level.  

2 hours ago, wardly said:

On top of the money these guys want to win at the very highest level and going to a P5 school gives him the opportunity to go far in the NCAA Tournament, final 4's etc. 

Yes he's very well off now but he can also add a ton of cushion to his bank account for him and his family for a very very long time.