Charlotte (2/11/23)

CMJ

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

Hopefully the UAB win tonight gets us some attendance momentum.  We're going to need every screaming fan we can get to make it past FAU and/or UAB in Frisco.

No doubt.  I'm a broken record, but this team deserves 6K+ a game.  I mean I'd be happy if we could get above 4K against Charlotte, but they deserve way more than that Saturday.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

We need the student section more energized. Hire a well-known DJ in the area and plant him or her right in that section. 

It's great that the sections are starting to fill out more, but unfortunately 80% of the rows are sitting. Need to get more of those people standing and into the game.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Agree, the AD needs to step up. 

Our band also seems like they don't care or yell as much as they did a few years ago when I was a student. Of course, during the Benford days there were more people in the band than regular students at the games, so they were easier to hear. They look funny being a small group only filling up half a section. They need to be placed in the half sections behind the basket.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, CMJ said:

No doubt.  I'm a broken record, but this team deserves 6K+ a game.  I mean I'd be happy if we could get above 4K against Charlotte, but they deserve way more than that Saturday.

Just from the outside (FW) looking in (Denton), I do not know or understand why the excitement of all these wins is not bubbling into the city by itself.  It is what it is, but with this team doing what it is doing, the AD shouldn't need to work so freaking hard to promote this team.

Sometimes I think we jinx/ruin it by talking about this attendance problem so much.  It's as if the people sitting on the fence about coming do not come because they don't like being talked about/pointed at.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Just from the outside (FW) looking in (Denton), I do not know or understand why the excitement of all these wins is not bubbling into the city by itself.  It is what it is, but with this team doing what it is doing, the AD shouldn't need to work so freaking hard to promote this team.

Sometimes I think we jinx/ruin it by talking about this attendance problem so much.  It's as if the people sitting on the fence about coming do not come because they don't like being talked about/pointed at.

I think with most Dentonites, the school and its teams are basically after thoughts.  It's sad, but I grew up in Denton, so unless things massively have changed since I left, that's just how it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

How does Denton learn about the team?    Does anybody read the DRC anymore?  When I was a kid in Denton, I read about every game, the box scores, etc in the DRC. Nobody reads it anymore. How does Denton get its news?  The local news stations are the source of news and they provide minimal to no coverage. It is left in the AD to figure this out and it isn’t easy. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

How does Denton learn about the team?    Does anybody read the DRC anymore?  When I was a kid in Denton, I read about every game, the box scores, etc in the DRC. Nobody reads it anymore. How does Denton get its news?  The local news stations are the source of news and they provide minimal to no coverage. It is left in the AD to figure this out and it isn’t easy. 

The AD is becoming really active on SM with regular posts.  I would like to see what happens if/when they budget a little money to promote these posts.  Not even since the beginning of the Wren administration has a post ever, ever come through my feed that said it was a paid/promotional ad.

A small amount of money ensures that it goes out to a regional audience that would not otherwise see/follow the account.

It may do nothing.  It may do something.  But I think you gotta go where people are looking, and nowadays people are looking at Google/SM.

I would love, love to help with attendance.  I don't have any moeny to give, but if I did, I would speak to someone on the phone about donating towards Social Media promotional ads.  Flood the local Denton devices with posts on their social media accounts.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:51 AM, Matt from A700 said:

It's great that the sections are starting to fill out more, but unfortunately 80% of the rows are sitting. Need to get more of those people standing and into the game.

Standing…. I’m good unless it’s near the end I have no reason to stand a majority of the game….

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CMJ said:

I think with most Dentonites, the school and its teams are basically after thoughts.  It's sad, but I grew up in Denton, so unless things massively have changed since I left, that's just how it is.

It would help if they reached out to the local school. Specifically guyer….. when Saka Smart or Roy Williams…. Or even Tony Benford visit the campus more than Grant it doesn’t send the best message and it certainly does not make the coaches want to talk up the program to local guys. 

• Eye Roll 3

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It would help if they reached out to the local school. Specifically guyer….. when Saka Smart or Roy Williams…. Or even Tony Benford visit the campus more than Grant it doesn’t send the best message and it certainly does not make the coaches want to talk up the program to local guys. 

I went to Newton Rayzor...I was in maybe 5th grade (so the late 80s) when a player and a couple of cheerleaders visited my class and gave out free tickets.  This was around the time of the two SLC titles we won.  I think my brother (a year ahead) and I were the only ones who went to the game.

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I went to Newton Rayzor...I was in maybe 5th grade (so the late 80s) when a player and a couple of cheerleaders visited my class and gave out free tickets.  This was around the time of the two SLC titles we won.  I think my brother (a year ahead) and I were the only ones who went to the game.

They still did similar things pre covid. I know it’s difficult and a lot of resources for potentially so little, but we haven’t had the cheerleaders or scrappy on our campus since 2019. 

I know Tyler goes to elementary schools and a a season ticket holder who works at Pecan Creek hooked them up with Tyler! 

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

They still did similar things pre covid. I know it’s difficult and a lot of resources for potentially so little, but we haven’t had the cheerleaders or scrappy on our campus since 2019. 

I know Tyler goes to elementary schools and a a season ticket holder who works at Pecan Creek hooked them up with Tyler! 

My point is, it didn't get many people to the game because Dentonites tragically just don't support NT.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

My point is, it didn't get many people to the game because Dentonites tragically just don't support NT.

That may be true, but they can easily be persuaded. If our campus can be I. Love with TCU and Kansas right now why not UNT. Go hard for a guyer kid an recruit local and watch it grow. 

Why don't they schedule a kids day game where students from a certain number of local elementaries,  middle schools, high schools are bussed in. Understand its a different crowd but that would be a great way to pack the pit and just maybe connect with future fans. If it's a game time issue, invite local middle school or high school basketball teams in with free tickets, recognize them during the game and invite them back. Just a few ideas. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I guarantee we geriatrics in 121 are doing our part. Even my wife was standing and cheering!

Eh. I guess I understand a kid student section but I’m trying to watch the game. I enjoy good basketball and usually standing and screaming makes it hard for me to focus and see what’s going or or what I think is going to happen next. I do stand on this close out possession and end game scenarios.

Even then maybe 5 years ago I got chewed out by people behind me for standing to much. I guess it’s fair enough.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I guarantee we geriatrics in 121 are doing our part. Even my wife was standing and cheering!

I even remember in 2001 @Rudy I think Emmitt too working to actually get fans to sit at Norman because not everyone could stand or see the entire time. Idk…. I am up in the air but I don’t get super excited jumping up and down at every play any more. It’s a chess match and I enjoy watching it and even planning it out on my own. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1