Blake Fann Signs On

SUMG

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

Don't see anything on him in 24/7 Sports.

He's a PWO. Here is what I found reading up on him.

Blake Fann Frisco Lone Star  6’2 230 LB

Another prospect that I am in shock we landed as a PWO.  1st Team All District and 1st Team All State Linebacker. He had offers from FBS ULM and a couple of D2 schools. Just looking at his tape, he has the size to play MLB right now in this 3-3-5 defense. He can take on blocks while our other guys run free. He also does a great job of avoiding blockers and getting to the ball carrier. I was impressed with his tackling skills. If he comes in and works hard, I could see him getting put on scholarship next year.

Stats: 12 games - 152 Tackles - 3.5 Sacks - 2 Forced Fumbles - 21.5 TFL’s - 8 QB Pressures - 7 PBU’s

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Those are pretty damn good credentials if you ask me.  Why wasn't he recruited harder by other programs?

I know he transferred high schools from Denton Braswell (2021) to Frisco Lone Star (2022). It's possible this move somewhat impacted his recruiting. He did attend the spring game and was being recruited by Jim Gush of the old staff. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Those are pretty damn good credentials if you ask me.  Why wasn't he recruited harder by other programs?

I've read quite a bit about how the transfer portal has hurt high school recruiting. Add in the extra covid year and you've got plenty of guys who will have ended up with 6 years of eligibility when it's all said and done. There's a few extreme cases like Frank Harris who've been in college since 2017 and are finally on their final year. There's also plenty who are like our new QB Chandler Rogers; in college since 2019 and just finished their sophomore year of eligibility. Rogers for example redshirted his true freshman year at Southern Miss in 2019. Got a Covid waiver while at Blinn, and then spent two seasons at ULM where 2021 was his redshirt freshman season and 2022 his redshirt sophomore. Still has 2 years left. Unfortunate for the high school kids who just want a chance when there's guys hanging out for 6 seasons.

This may have nothing to do with Fann but judging by the amount of quality walk-ons, don't be surprised if we end up with a few legit D1 players by way of PWO. There's just too many players and not enough scholarships.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

4 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Can these walkons be given scholarships immediately to replace a scholarship player that quits or transfers out, or is there a required period of time that must elapse?

From all I can find, they cannot be put on scholarship until after their first year

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Rock said:

This kid got my attention ... I typically dont post here ... I read regularly.  But something about this kid intrigues me.

Hoping he can step up as so many before him have .. we have had some really solid MLBs over the years.

Welcome to the team Blake.   Enjoy the ride.  

Along with Fann, I am also intrigued by Jake Wilson and West Wilson.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2023 at 6:38 PM, DeepGreen said:

In addition to all district and all state (1st teams) he was also 1st team academic all-state.  

The reason why he wasn't recruited harder is this was his first year at Frisco Lone Star after transferring from Denton Braswell.  Also, these honors came after the P5s had filled their quota from the transfer portal.  I'm thankful that he didn't get a rating because many recruiters pour over 247/composite ratings.  He has neither.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:12 PM, Rock said:

This kid got my attention ... I typically dont post here ... I read regularly.  But something about this kid intrigues me.

Hoping he can step up as so many before him have .. we have had some really solid MLBs over the years.

Welcome to the team Blake.   Enjoy the ride.  

I'm sure you're very busy, Mr. Rock! If this kids gets passed up by the NFL, I'm sure he'd love to play for you and the Arlington Renegades!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1