Breaking: North Texas hires Iowa State Assistant Director of Player Personnel to coach Linebackers

TheReal_jayD

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This better be a joke. Demerick Gary needs to go be a coach in the FCS or Sun Belt first. We can't seriously be looking to hire a GA from Houston to be our next D-line coach. That screams bush league.

First our basketball team sh!ts the bed, and now this. Could my night get any worse?

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

This better be a joke. Demerick Gary needs to go be a coach in the FCS or Sun Belt first. We can't seriously be looking to hire a GA from Houston to be our next D-line coach. That screams bush league.

First our basketball team sh!ts the bed, and now this. Could my night get any worse?

Yeah it looks to be happening. I don't understand this one and I get recruiting is important but the theme on defense so far is alarming. It's not dodge esque but it's on the bleeding edge. At least he has DFW ties.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, herewego said:

Yeah it looks to be happening. I don't understand this one and I get recruiting is important but the theme on defense so far is alarming. It's not dodge esque but it's on the bleeding edge. At least he has DFW ties.

I have always been of the opinion that the lines are the heart of every team. As the offensive and defensive lines go, so goes the team. These positions need to go to talented proven coaches, not upstart GA's from other G5 programs. If Gary is the actual hire for the D-line position, then I officially have a problem with where this defensive coaching staff is headed. It's irresponsible to let unproven guys handle either of these position groups, and Morris and Caponi should know better. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, herewego said:

If he is coming here he came with a big letter of recomandation from Dana. This is the type of hire we will be complaining when it happens and complaining in a year when he get scooped up by a bigger fish. Gilbert, Owens and Gary you just took over South Dallas. And right now it is the most fertile area in Texas. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't give a damn about who is coaching. I care who they're coaching. He could be a linebacker whisperer, but if he's coaching undersized soft steppin puss', it don't matter. Now, go land some legitimate talent. 

Which of our current linebackers would you consider soft stepping puss? We could pass your info along to them. KD Davis is going to be a first ballot UNT HOFer. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, @TheReal_jayD, what does “taking over south Dallas” mean? We aren’t taking kids away from P5 programs that matter— meaning we aren’t going to be competing with the LSU, OU, or Tu’s of the world. So— does that mean multiple high level 3 or even four

But just because you get talent doesn’t mean it works out— the vast inexperience (2GA’s and a position coach) running a 3-3-5 worries me. Recruiting is the name of the game but the goal will be to not coach’em down. 

I hope I’m wrong. And they succeed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm sorry, where was I singling anyone out. But pass that info along, big boy. Or are you asking for it? 

Thats the point, you talk about a soft group that lacks legitimate talent without any specifics when it was one of our strengths.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

Well, @TheReal_jayD, what does “taking over south Dallas” mean? We aren’t taking kids away from P5 programs that matter— meaning we aren’t going to be competing with the LSU, OU, or Tu’s of the world. So— does that mean multiple high level 3 or even four

But just because you get talent doesn’t mean it works out— the vast inexperience (2GA’s and a position coach) running a 3-3-5 worries me. Recruiting is the name of the game but the goal will be to not coach’em down. 

I hope I’m wrong. And they succeed. 

I may be biased but young and inexperienced doesn't scare me. Old and stubborn does. When this guy was hired to be DL coach at SMU he didn’t have much more if any more experience that Gary. Now look where he is at. And guess who Gary DL coach was at SMU. 

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/randall-joyner/812

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I may be biased but young and inexperienced doesn't scare me. Old and stubborn does. When this guy was hired to be DL coach at SMU he didn’t have much more if any more experience that Gary. Now look where he is at. And guess who Gary DL coach was at SMU. 

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/randall-joyner/812

But his defense got their ass kicked last night. Texas Tech put 42 points on Ole Miss, and his D-line gave up 242 yards rushing. I don't want that at UNT either.

We need successful experienced coaches in charge of our lines. We should be able to poach an actual D-line coach from one of the successful Sun Belt, C-USA, or MAC programs. A GA from Houston should not even be an option. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

WE HATE MCCARNEY AND BENNETT AND GUSH!!! Quit hiring old guys!!! Ohhh you can’t hire someone with no experience… even though our HC went from not much experience to turning around a terrible program to running an offense at P5 lol trust the guy to make right hires if he doesn’t guess what, he’ll join a long Line of unsuccessful HC at UNT

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

WE HATE MCCARNEY AND BENNETT AND GUSH!!! Quit hiring old guys!!! Ohhh you can’t hire someone with no experience… even though our HC went from not much experience to turning around a terrible program to running an offense at P5 lol trust the guy to make right hires if he doesn’t guess what, he’ll join a long Line of unsuccessful HC at UNT

This is a straw man argument. it is obvious that there is an in between for 0 vs 30 years of experience. It is anywhere from 2-5 years of being an actual position coach at an FBS program.

We are fans and as such we scrutinize every part even if we like the head man. If you think it is more reasonable to just be patient, cheer and have blind faith, then you may as well just shut the football forum down from January to September and discuss nothing other than uniforms. I am sure people will be very willing to change their minds if it turns out these coaches do not just get more talent here (fairly hopeful on that front), but also squeeze out all the production and development out of that talent (currently a bit worried on the defense there). Almost nobody is going scorched earth here. But if the defense goes south, the fact that the hires are hard to understand will fall back on the HC and DC. They are taking risks here.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

If he is coming here he came with a big letter of recomandation from Dana. This is the type of hire we will be complaining when it happens and complaining in a year when he get scooped up by a bigger fish. Gilbert, Owens and Gary you just took over South Dallas. And right now it is the most fertile area in Texas. 

I was super excited about the staff.  But defense doesn't have one dude on staff that's done it at fbs level at their position coached. I thought the increased salary would get dudes that have been there and know what their doing, not the young leading the young.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

This is really the first time that I have questioned a coach's assignment.  Kolby Katch had one year (five years ago) as a graduate assistant on the defensive side of the ball.  That is way too light IMHO to virtually start at this status.  I realize that he's likely a good recruiter (although I don't believe that he's recruited in Texas) but why give him a very important coaching position with such little experience?  Obviously, his best coaching position would have been tight end (he at least played that position) but I understand that had already been given to Craig Gilbert, who is an even more qualified recruiter in Texas.

8 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

This is really the first time that I have questioned a coach's assignment.  Kolby Katch had one year (five years ago) as a graduate assistant on the defensive side of the ball.  That is way too light IMHO to virtually start at this status.  I realize that he's likely a good recruiter (although I don't believe that he's recruited in Texas) but why give him a very important coaching position with such little experience?  Obviously, his best coaching position would have been tight end (he at least played that position) but I understand that had already been given to Craig Gilbert, who is an even more qualified recruiter in Texas.

From what I am hearing he was very hands on with the defense. From scouting to practice to recruiting. Was the same as a defensive assistant without the title.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Thats the point, you talk about a soft group that lacks legitimate talent without any specifics when it was one of our strengths.

BS. 

We were 123rd or 124th in total defense. KD was an often times very lone bright spot in what was usually a pretty pathetic group. Group as in defense. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove