Morris’ assistants

Cr1028

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is this what we want?    Don't we want a legit OC to call plays?

I would prefer an experienced OC that called played but if getting E Jones with the title OC, helps this university on the recruiting trail then do it and figure it out down the road 

9 hours ago, TalonsUp said:

Realistically if we only paid 1.2 million our staff budget is probably 2.2 and we will not get any P5 coaches if we’re having to give at least 600 for coordinators. Tex st didn’t get EMo cuz they were going lower than what we heard we offered. A decent oc would have been leftwich for 350k, but kinne sewed that up already. As I expected keeler entertained 2 offers and got more money and an extension out of it. You boys were having champagne dreams when are athletic budget was maybe Ultra. My guy Carthel would have came in for a bit less and left more for his assistants. But I don’t see him coming as dc for less than 600k and that would tap hard on money. But maybe I’m full of it and we have more money to throw. I was wrong once

You have no idea what Morris contract is lol for you to assume Saban 2.0 would have signed for less 😂 let alone if Saban 2.0 ever got a look… we can say SABAN 2.0 would have taken less but that’s because he never got a serious look it looks like right now

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I would prefer an experienced OC that called played but if getting E Jones with the title OC, helps this university on the recruiting trail then do it and figure it out down the road 

You have no idea what Morris contract is lol for you to assume Saban 2.0 would have signed for less 😂 let alone if Saban 2.0 ever got a look… we can say SABAN 2.0 would have taken less but that’s because he never got a serious look it looks like right now

Oh my mrs FU, I figured you would fade away since the hubs is still unemployed. We all would like to know EM contract particulars and then really begin to criticize 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

46 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Oh my mrs FU, I figured you would fade away since the hubs is still unemployed. We all would like to know EM contract particulars and then really begin to criticize 

Its like two lobbyists getting after each other.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

No he didn't. He was OC/WRs coach at Tech and Sonny Cumbie and Trey Haverty recruited him. 

Guess it depends on your source.  Just read an article that says Kingsbury did the majority of the recruiting, saw that 247 gave credit to Cumbie and Haverty, read a Dallas News article that says it was Haverty and read a Washington Post article that credits Morris.  My guess is that East TX was Haverty's area of responsibility.

Mahomes was at Tech from '14 through '16, so he would have been recruited by the '13 staff.

Tech staffs:

'13: Morris OC, Cumbie Co-OC/Outside WR's, Haverty Outside LB Coach.

'14: Morris OC, Cumbie was gone, Haverty Outside LB Coach.

'15: Morris OC, Haverty gone

'16: Morris OC

I would guess Kingsbury was the driving force, but Morris was also the constant on the staff while Mahomes was there.  You know, any coach on that staff will find a way to take a little credit for recruiting/coaching him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Guess it depends on your source.  Just read an article that says Kingsbury did the majority of the recruiting, saw that 247 gave credit to Cumbie and Haverty, read a Dallas News article that says it was Haverty and read a Washington Post article that credits Morris.  My guess is that East TX was Haverty's area of responsibility.

Mahomes was at Tech from '14 through '16, so he would have been recruited by the '13 staff.

Tech staffs:

'13: Morris OC, Cumbie Co-OC/Outside WR's, Haverty Outside LB Coach.

'14: Morris OC, Cumbie was gone, Haverty Outside LB Coach.

'15: Morris OC, Haverty gone

'16: Morris OC

I would guess Kingsbury was the driving force, but Morris was also the constant on the staff while Mahomes was there.  You know, any coach on that staff will find a way to take a little credit for recruiting/coaching him.

I'll agree with that. Although, I wouldn't put much stock in the WaPo when it comes to Texas fotball.😉

• Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t have a dog in the Morris/Mahomes hunt. I am pleased with the hire but those of you debating listen to the first minute of the following video and decide based on Morris’ own words.

Unless you've sat in the system or watched practices, you are really limited in how you view these influences.  IMO this video is just a another branch in the tree of coach speak.  Hard to know exactly what Morris is referring to specifically when talking about Kliff's leadership.

Is he saying the entirety of the development was Kliff?
Is he an assistant/coordinator tipping his hat to the boss, and deflecting any possible credit?

....again, hard to say based on video alone.

I don’t care if he was the main recruiter of Mahomes or only ever waved to him on the sidelines. I just want him to go out and get us a QB who can find the open receiver and hit him in stride. I watched a video earlier where he talked about his goal is to score touchdowns, not make first downs. That’s what I love to hear from a coach. Let’s go light up some scoreboards!

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I think he is not naming any assistant coaches until after the bowl game which is classy thing to do on his part.  He is showing respect toward the current coaches and the players.   

#Hire Cobbs

Not as worried on the offensive side, but very worried on the Defense. He needs to weigh this against having the coaches available he wants and recruiting. Hopefully he has reached out and has choices lined up

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not as worried on the offensive side, but very worried on the Defense. He needs to weigh this against having the coaches available he wants and recruiting. Hopefully he has reached out and has choices lined up

Is Ernie Stautner still around?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is a tough truth to stomach for those who like to crap on Aune...  but it's not even close.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/454

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3

Not the biggest Aune fan, but D is what hurt us. Where Seth and the Offense made it worse, IMO, was not trying to control the clock. It's like he reverted to the Dodge school of thought that he could "out-score" his defensive problems. All those nice offensive stats don't mean much if your not winning the big games.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Ruffin McNeill would be an interesting option. Currently at NC State, but has been a DC for multiple Air Raid teams and a head coach in the conference at ECU.

He's at NC State to be closer to his father. I doubt he ends up down here.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34482741/ruffin-mcneill-long-road-back-father-homecoming-plan-for

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The QB gave up 7 tds himself. take that out and we had a top 3 d in conference 

Shhhh, don’t bring facts into this.  

And certainly don’t mention that competent QB play means defenses can’t game plan heavily towards stopping the run…which keeps drives alive longer…which keeps a tired defense off the field.  

And absolutely don’t mention that every college coach and NFL GM will tell you quarterback is the single most important position on the field. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Shhhh, don’t bring facts into this.  

And certainly don’t mention that competent QB play means defenses can’t game plan heavily towards stopping the run…which keeps drives alive longer…which keeps a tired defense off the field.  

And absolutely don’t mention that every college coach and NFL GM will tell you quarterback is the single most important position on the field. 

Giving up over 6 yards per play doesn't have a damn thing to do with QB play.