UNT hired Washington State offensive coordinator and former Incarnate Word head coach Eric Morris to take over its program on Tuesday

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

My interpretation was that the main reason this guy was hired over others was that he dominated his interview. 

None of us were in the room, so purely speculating the other candidates seem to have less enticement to come here. Namely money and waiting for a bigger job. Maybe they weren't excited to build a program up. Morris was hungry for the job. As anyone who has hired, if someone bursts into an interview and eats everyone else's lunch, why wouldn't they get the job? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

what I remember at Morris team when we played them was we could not get to the QB because Zappe had such fast release.  I don't if from his play calling or development of the QB or Zappe's ability.  I hope he can develop or qbs.  Hope he choose well on the staff and keeps Cobbs at the very least.  We may need some older guy to help balance the youth.

I don't know what to think about this hire but I am not going to slam it yet and hopefully I will say "Yeah, I knew this was the right guy from the start.  Is his start date 12/13/2022

He didn’t coach Zappe. 

52 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

I agree, I hope he moves to denton just like baker, mcasland, moseley......wait.....

Because that argyle bartonville.....wait....nmind 

Although I do hope he engages with the community better, I would like for him to win more football games.

Ha! My point exactly.  Wish those administrators lived in Denton as well. 

I live in Denton and I love it. Think you can actually sell it better to 18 yr olds if you actually know what makes it cool and unique vs just working there. But what do I know??? I’m just an “old head” as the kids say.

And yes! Let’s just win a ton of football games!

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

One other random thought:

I really hope that Coach Morris and his family actually move to and make a home in Denton proper. Not Argyle or Northlake - the bougie neighbors. Nothing wrong with those communities and tons of the University brass live in those areas, but I think if you really want to ingrain yourself to the Denton community and University students, faculty, and staff - commit to being apart of it. Talk the talk AND walk the walk. TONS of really great places to live in Denton. 

Maybe like a good apartment like the Ridge 

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, HonestEagality said:

Your social security number is 1

Seth was the "young hot offensive commodity" also.  But actually managing the coaching talent was his biggest challenge here.  And it won't matter how good his QB coaching is if he can't put together a defense that can hold teams before 35 points a game.      I trust guys who have done it better just a little bit longer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

None of us were in the room, so purely speculating the other candidates seem to have less enticement to come here. Namely money and waiting for a bigger job. Maybe they weren't excited to build a program up. Morris was hungry for the job. As anyone who has hired, if someone bursts into an interview and eats everyone else's lunch, why wouldn't they get the job? 

Anybody know who else was actually interviewed?  I am proud they got all this buisness done before the bowl game.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hope it works out. I do have 2 worries...

Not sure it checks the box in recruiting and that's concerning. 

Another air raid guy means we will continue to be incompetent on defense. 

Like others have said, I don't love it and I don't hate it. But it appears to be, from a far, a status quo hire. As in I'm not sure what is going to be the wholesale difference between Littrell and Morris. 

I am really interested to see what he does on Defense. Needs to be a good hire

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Anybody know who else was actually interviewed?  I am proud they got all this buisness done before the bowl game.

Not sure if we will know. Sounds like Jared and Neal are good at closing the leaks. It does look like the plane he is arriving on has been in Denton since Sunday night. No sure if they were waiting on Morris, or someone else on Monday
image.png.a8d4464451bac78e0ed9a32993d11eb5.png

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I hope we bring in carthal as DC and we can all celebrate

I wouldn’t mind that all but it seems like he likes being the head guy based on my watching from afar. I imagine he will just keep building SFA for awhile. This is all speculation on my part because I have never seen the guy outside of ESPN and Youtube even though it may seem like I am him or a relative.

I really wish we could get Skladany but he is just too old at this point. Maybe there is a similar defensive brain out there someplace.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

I wouldn’t mind that all but it seems like he likes being the head guy based on my watching from afar. I imagine he will just keep building SFA for awhile. This is all speculation on my part because I have never seen the guy outside of ESPN and Youtube even though it may seem like I am him or a relative.

I really wish we could get Skladany but he is just too old at this point. Maybe there is a similar defensive brain out there someplace.

Yeah, I get that same vibe.  He’s surely had other opportunities to be a DC, right?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, I get that same vibe.  He’s surely had other opportunities to be a DC, right?

I would assume so but your guess is as good as mine. I know he likes to keep his dad on staff so that may factor into it.

Another thing to consider is that as head coach, he probably has a buyout and I’m not sure we want to fork over buyout money for a coordinator.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

Okay. I came here to check out the board to see about the hire. I’m not active at all, but was curious about what was being said.

A few are excited. Most are willing to see what happens, and there are some who aren’t impressed with the hire.  To me, that says a lot of you really think about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1