Worst Case Scenario for Football...

gordo nation

Worst Case Scenario...  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the worst scenario for UNT football?

• Wait till after bowl game to hire a GREAT COACH
    • Hire Chris Tomsen tomorrow
    • Promote within
    • Hire an old offensive coordinator

With the lack of qualified candidate on remaining staff, that would have to be the worst thing possible. 

Bloesch is going to Cal and Bennett is all but certain to go back into retirement. So now you’re looking at promoting a position coach and none of them are close to ready to make that jump. But I hope Cobbs is someday. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Moobs said:

With the lack of qualified candidate on remaining staff, that would have to be the worst thing possible. 

Bloesch is going to Cal and Bennett is all but certain to go back into retirement. So now you’re looking at promoting a position coach and none of them are close to ready to make that jump. But I hope Cobbs is someday. 

Bennet with his son in law as the dc and his  nephew the oc

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

WTF is wrong with Chris Thomsen to the point he’s considered a disaster on GMG?

Rick

Well for me, firing SL to hire a guy that has only been a position coach for the last decade isn't it. The only way I could rationalize it if its a young (ish)up-and-coming coach that could inject excitement (ex. Emmett Jones). If the standard has gone up and that's why we fired SL, then hiring Thomsen contradicts that.

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 7

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Like Emmett Jones?

Rick

It's almost as if you purposely left out the very next sentence from his post.

"The only way I could rationalize it if its a young (ish)up-and-coming coach that could inject excitement (ex. Emmett Jones)."

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

WTF is wrong with Chris Thomsen to the point he’s considered a disaster on GMG?

Rick

Guy is a good coach I am sure, but at G5 you need someone who has either done it before or is a super hot commodity that will bring a lot of interest into the program.  We've tried both in the past and neither is a sure thing.

I am curious why would good coaches be available after bowl games?   If they are good coaches are they going anywhere?   We missed a few good ones waiting so long to fire SL.  

What names that are out there would impress you to come to UNT.  I haven't seen any names that set me on fire.   I could be wrong like am most times but who is left to go after that would excite you?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

It's almost as if you purposely left out the very next sentence from his post.

"The only way I could rationalize it if its a young (ish)up-and-coming coach that could inject excitement (ex. Emmett Jones)."

Then why go with Jones when you could promote Cobbs?

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Guy is a good coach I am sure, but at G5 you need someone who has either done it before or is a super hot commodity that will bring a lot of interest into the program.  We've tried both in the past and neither is a sure thing.

False and also just because we've tried something and it hasn't worked, doesn't mean it can't work. Lots of things haven't worked here which is why football in general hasn't worked the past 50 years. Our history with something not working is not a good barometer.

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I am curious why would good coaches be available after bowl games?   If they are good coaches are they going anywhere?   We missed a few good ones waiting so long to fire SL.  

Fit, money, desire to stay in a particular state/conference. There's plenty of reasons why a good coach could be left after bowl season. I'd guess about 80-100 schools out there don't have their guy. Their HC is either brand new and they're optimistic, a few years into their contract and it's time to get major results, or at the end of their contract and on their way out due to lack of results. A HC being off the board doesn't mean they're "the guy" and we missed out. It just means somebody out there thought he was the right hire for them. Most ADs out there are hiring the wrong HC. As long as we get the right guy for us, I'm not worried about when in the cycle he's hired.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gordo nation said:

No D1 head coaching experience, no name recognition, older, no ties outside of Texas, violations at Abilene Christian

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not at the top  of my wish list.   But he’s BUILT……………….a winning program in Texas from absolutely nothing at the DII college level going 52-21.  He was the conference coach of the year four out of six seasons he was there at ACU and placed several players in the NFL.  And since has coached and recruited at the highest level nationally.  And he’s only 54.  The last guy to win hardware here at North Texas was 60.  

If he’s still got the fire in his belly and able to sell our program and adjust and mold it to within our unique culture he’s exactly what we need.  Now, I haven’t heard him speak as a head coach so I can’t say if he’s all that.  But regardless his hiring wouldn't be a “disaster”.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Its certainly not going to be the best case... It's already late in the process, they should have been interviewing coaches a month ago, and had a coach in place before the transfer window opened.  I dont know that the "right" guy is out there at the moment, only options left seem to be real compromises.