It’s time to accept…

WE ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL DAMNIT!!!!

It’s getting to a point where I’ll buy season tickets just because I’m mentally insane for supporting this BS program. It’s unbelievable.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t bring more support for Grant McCasland and his squad. They all have earned it, yet we are still here worrying about what James Seth Littrell will do in the portal and why Wren Baker hasn’t fired him and restarted this program.

I simply don’t give a sh*t about this football program anymore. 
Thanks for attending my TedTalk.

• Upvote 10
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Grant deserves a packed Pit for his work on this program. Littrell deserves empty stadiums for letting his program fly off the rails

This is the catch22 here... because the players don't deserve that.   And those guys are the ones who (for the most part) will graduate from North Texas and have Degrees from the same beloved school you and I attended.  We'll be alumni together.

You're absolutely right in that Littrell doesn't deserve our unwavering support anymore, but the players still do.

For me, what's really tearing at me is that Wren modified how the MGSF dues/seat were calculated prior to the 2018 season.
Prior to that, I was getting 4 season tickets for a flat $250 donation +ticket costs, which added up to around $700-800/year.  So even through the Dodge/McCarney years, the bang-for-buck was worth it for me & my family to support & enjoy North Texas football at the brand new Apogee Stadium (2015 was really hard though).  Our loveable losers.
I'm now paying a $150 MGSF contribution per seat (140% increase) + increased costs per ticket, so around $1400/year. 
Going into the 2018 season it made sense!  We were on track to finally get serious about football!  2016 had us over-achieving big time, and 2017 had us winning C-USA West!  It was time for the fans to step up and match what Coach Littrell & Co had accomplished on the gridiron.   As hard as that hit my wallet, I was fully on-board.

Those prices have only increased since 2018, so Wren is asking me to pay DOUBLE what I was paying when McCarney was hoisting a HOD bowl trophy for the results we are getting over the past 3 seasons (with no end in sight).   The bang-for-buck value is obviously VERY VERY LOW now.

I'm honestly considering (and I've been a season ticket holder since 2008) not renewing this year, and just picking a game or 2 next season (if we have literally nothing else going on that day).   I'll just go & buy tickets at the window on gameday... because I KNOW they'll be available.   
What Wren should be concerned about is: I bet I'm not the only one considering this.
The only reason I would consider keeping my seats is because I want to support my University & fellow alumni out on the field giving it their all (like I was doing during the Dodge era... at a MUCH LOWER price).

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It’s getting to a point where I’ll buy season tickets just because I’m mentally insane for supporting this BS program. It’s unbelievable.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t bring more support for Grant McCasland and his squad. They all have earned it, yet we are still here worrying about what James Seth Littrell will do in the portal and why Wren Baker hasn’t fired him and restarted this program.

Now, if we could just get more then about 2000-2500 real butts in seats at the Super Pit, the basketball school moniker could possibly gain some traction. I mean, seriously, Coach McCasland has accomplished more than any other revenue coach in our history in his time here. He's coached us to a CBI title, a CUSA regular season championship, a CUSA Tournament championship, a win over Purdue in Indianapolis in the NCAA Tournament, and now has us at 14-4 with an almost completely new roster...and UNT and Denton support that success by completing ignoring it and not even caring.

When GMac ends up at some other regional school with money and fans, just remember that we let our Basketball Hayden Fry get away...because we wouldn't even show up or support a team that ACTUALLY won something over and over. 

We don't care about sports here. It's just an afterthought. We don't fill up Apogee above the 50% mark for 90% of our home games. And we don't get more than a third full of the Super Pit for 99% of our games. Just pathetic. My kids are in high school now, having attended several UNT games over all these years. Guess why they don't want to come to their parents' alma mater? Because they know firsthand that almost nobody cares about sports, which matters greatly to them, just as it does for me, and they see their cousins and friends at all of these other schools actually care about their school and their teams. They know they can get business degrees at other good schools. What they also know, sadly, is that UNT games are just not anything people care about. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Have fun supporting this shit show, it’s not fun. Makes me not have fun, I like seeing wins and good play, which basketball brings.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The good folks at TEDTalk would like to have a word with you sir.  I think you misunderstood the requirements for Decorum and format.🤷🏽‍♂️   😂😂😂

You’re right about basketball.  However Oklahoma Louisiana and Texas are probably the most football attention dominate collegiate regions in the country.  Look at the history of the Mavericks trying to acquire free agents with roots in Texas.  That just might be a coincidence but I don’t think it is.  No American born star has ever fallen in love with this place.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I am tired of losing but just like our players I am not going to quit. I know the last few years have been tough but hell guys so have the last 30 or so. Kinda like being a Cowboy fan, always next year. Our team didn’t quit this year and thrashed an undefeated team at home and ended up in a bowl game. Hopefully SL figured something out. 

So here we are in the off-season and the world is coming to an end. It won’t and let’s follow the example of last years team and support them like they did each other. 

I love basketball almost as much as football and Grant deserves anything he gets, like a BIG raise and another extension. In the 1970’s when this old man went to NTSU, we kicked butt in football and basketball. Fifty years later maybe we can do it again. It takes effort and it takes us all. 

Give to the MGSF and you can help ALL Mean Green athletics. 

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Calling a program that is 1-4 in the NCAA tournament a “basketball school” just makes my 🙄.   Give me a break.  Reach the Sweet 16 first and then repost this topic.  

Calling a school with 3 bowl wins in 100+ years a "football school" makes my eyes roll even harder. Don't care if they bring in more money, which isn't a lot considering we aren't a money making program at all.

This program sucks, flat out. This basketball program has accomplished more in 2 1/2 seasons than football in 2 decades.

People like you are the reason basketball has no support

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Calling a school with 3 bowl wins in 100+ years a "football school" makes my eyes roll even harder. Don't care if they bring in more money, which isn't a lot considering we aren't a money making program at all.

This program sucks, flat out. This basketball program has accomplished more in 2 1/2 seasons than football in 2 decades.

Just my 0.02, but we are a fanbase that lives in a football-first state.  It's could be really hard to pull them away from that and ask them to remain loyal to the UNT brand.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a hypothetical where we abandon football, the potential fans just adopt another school (tshirt longhorns, etc) and the other school's basketball program before splitting their loyalty (50% other school football, 50% UNT basketball).

We already have too many Tshirt longhorns running around Denton.  Abandoning football altogether might work in Kentucky or Kansas, but Texas? Possibly counter-productive.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

A didn’t call this UNT a Football school.  If that makes a difference.  But the reason the basketball doesn’t have support is because it has 4 appearances in the NCAA tournament all time.  So your comparison holds zero validity.  The DFW market is a winners market.

The  USA is a Football market. The NCAA Tournament Championship Game draws less that half the College Football Championship Game.  

Let us consider your argument.  But let’s be accurate.   2003 Sun Belt Champion, 2004 Sun Belt Champion that is within the past 2 decades.  So if you want to hold up the 2021 CUSA Championship and 1 tourney win as bigger you are splitting hairs.  Yes in this moment in time the Basketball team is light years ahead of football when it comes to management, play and coaching.  But expecting the SuperPit to be packed based off 1 Tournament win and CUSA title is just foolish.  And pissing on the football program isn’t going to fill the SuperPit.  🤦🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Calling a program that is 1-4 in the NCAA tournament a “basketball school” just makes my 🙄.   Give me a break.  Reach the Sweet 16 first and then repost this topic.  

Does anything please you about our athletic program?  Anything? Based on past success and your definition above, we should just call ourselves a “golf school” and be done with everything else. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Does anything please you about our athletic program?  Anything? Based on past success and your definition above, we should just call ourselves a “golf school” and be done with everything else. 

We have a nice stadium and the basketball program is doing well.  That was in response to someone asserting that we on a Gonzaga like run off the strength of 3 good seasons, 1 win in the NCAA tournament and a CUSA title.  Basketball should enjoy better support that it receives but no reason to take shot in the Football section of this form.  I don’t go in that section complaining about lack of football support. 🙄.  BTW I thoroughly enjoyed Dickey’s run, Mac’s Dallas Bowl team.    The two 9-win Mason Fine season were great also.  But anyone who doesn’t realize our revenue programs have drastically underperformed for most of its history are delusional.  We shouldn’t be playing catch up to programs far younger than ours.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

We have a nice stadium and the basketball program is doing well.  That was in response to someone asserting that we on a Gonzaga like run off the strength of 3 good seasons, 1 win in the NCAA tournament and a CUSA title.  Basketball should enjoy better support that it receives but no reason to take shot in the Football section of this form.  I don’t go in that section complaining about lack of football support. 🙄.  BTW I thoroughly enjoyed Dickey’s run, Mac’s Dallas Bowl team.    The two 9-win Mason Fine season were great also.  But anyone who doesn’t realize our revenue programs have drastically underperformed for most of its history are delusional.  We shouldn’t be playing catch up to programs far younger than ours.  

You enjoyed the Dickey run where his overall record is worse than SL. Also, I agree, we shouldn’t be playing catch up but that is the hand that has been dealt to us by our past administrations so we have to change that and playing catch up is part of that unfortunately. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You enjoyed the Dickey run where his overall record is worse than SL. Also, I agree, we shouldn’t be playing catch up but that is the hand that has been dealt to us by our past administrations so we have to change that and playing catch up is part of that unfortunately. 

SL record should be better than Dickey’s based on the upgrades, in resources, coach pay, training facilities, academic growth.  Dickey inherited a team new to FBS football, that wasn’t exactly a powerhouse at FCS.  

We aren’t even in a position to hire Seth without Dickey making the program look respectable at the FBS level.   And remind me how many Conference Titles and Bowl Wins Seth has.  Dickey has team hardware in the trophy case where is Seth’s?  Just stop.  You can simple say you don’t like what I have to say and call it a day.  Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Just my 0.02, but we are a fanbase that lives in a football-first state.  It's could be really hard to pull them away from that and ask them to remain loyal to the UNT brand.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a hypothetical where we abandon football, the potential fans just adopt another school (tshirt longhorns, etc) and the other school's basketball program before splitting their loyalty (50% other school football, 50% UNT basketball).

We already have too many Tshirt longhorns running around Denton.  Abandoning football altogether might work in Kentucky or Kansas, but Texas? Possibly counter-productive.

We are a school in a football first state. An argument to invest significantly into basketball could be strengthened by that fact. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

A didn’t call this UNT a Football school.  If that makes a difference.  But the reason the basketball doesn’t have support is because it has 4 appearances in the NCAA tournament all time.  So your comparison holds zero validity.  The DFW market is a winners market.

The  USA is a Football market. The NCAA Tournament Championship Game draws less that half the College Football Championship Game.  

Let us consider your argument.  But let’s be accurate.   2003 Sun Belt Champion, 2004 Sun Belt Champion that is within the past 2 decades.  So if you want to hold up the 2021 CUSA Championship and 1 tourney win as bigger you are splitting hairs.  Yes in this moment in time the Basketball team is light years ahead of football when it comes to management, play and coaching.  But expecting the SuperPit to be packed based off 1 Tournament win and CUSA title is just foolish.  And pissing on the football program isn’t going to fill the SuperPit.  🤦🏽‍♂️

Okay here’s what I was trying to get at. Of course it takes time to really build a fan base, mainly a sport that is now taking off and winning at a REALLY high rate. BUT we put too much into a football program that has been so lackluster and at times absolutely f’ing awful to a point where basketball games were getting more fans.

I wasn’t expecting the Pit to be sold out every game, I’m just expecting at LEAST half of the arena to be filled. Is that really too much to ask for???? 5,000 people???

I’m gonna continue to piss on this football program until something, or someone, is changed. I absolutely love the guys on the team, established some good relationships with some of the guys, but goddamn it’s just not enjoyable most of the time. I mean that’s just my opinion, but when North Texas loses in basketball, it’s RARELY a blowout. We lost by 12 to #4 and a really good Kansas team. If North Texas football played the #4-6 team in the country, it would be over in the first quarter. 

North Texas beat a very average UNLV team in 2013, beat a decent Cincinnati team in 2002, and beat I don’t even know from after world war 2. The tournament win was more significant than all of that. Not many people batted an eye to us beating UNLV, but millions and millions of people saw North Texas in the national stage. I couldn’t walk more than 1 minute without someone saying “Go Mean Green”, “great win” “congrats on the win” “we are rooting for y’all” in Indy after the Purdue win.

The significance of winning the CUSA title against Western was more significant than any of our conference championships because the Sun Belt was the bottom feeder of Division 1. We knocked off a Western Kentucky team with a NBA talent at Center and our 4th game in 4 days. 
We beat a 7 win New Mexico State in football, and really it wasn’t even a true championship game.

Now I’m not saying those weren’t important because they definitely are, but if you REALLY look at it, the more recent success in basketball has been way more significant than the past 2 decades in football.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1