DC Search Update

TheReal_jayD

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Wow it’s almost as if we had to replace a historic starting quarterback, quarterback coach, both line coaches, and all three coordinators in a year where we skipped spring practice.

Typical old Denton folk. Constantly making excuses. Other schools went through the same adversity as us with much better results.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hindsight is clearly 20-20 here.   

When Littrell signed the last deal, it was EVERYONE'S extension.   There were maybe a handful of people around here who were pissed about him losing the NO Bowl & NM Bowl, but for the most part everyone was extremely nervous when Littrell flirted with KSSt. & were 99% on-board with an extension to keep the best up-and-coming HC in C-USA at North Texas... at least until the next P5 school came calling the following offseason.

Flash-forward & here we are, 2 years later (2 years without Harrell?)... the regression is STAGGERING.  I don't believe anyone saw this coming.   I understand the budget constraints wont allow to buyout now, but Wren's seat is now hot as well, so if I were him, I'd be raising funds on the side and be ready to end the suffering immediately following this upcoming season.

Littrell would be a fool to believe he's not coaching for his job this upcoming season.   I'm extremely impressed (and thankful) with how he was able to sign the class he signed in December, because these kids , and more importantly, their parents, aren't dumb.  They see the trajectory.   I'd expect a big step back in recruiting this year unless he's somehow able to turn this ship around quickly.  Fingers crossed!

Look, I can't get credit because doubt I posted my thoughts on the extension back then, but here was what I was thinking.

I was a little nervous if he leaves because he had clearly shown to me at least he could coach. I see a lot of hot takes about how he can't coach but it would seem that taking a team from 1 win to 9 in two years shows you can.

On the other hand, at the time he actually hadn't really won anything. His team had blown the chance at a big season when we lost to UTSA one year. We had been clobbered in a CUSA title game. We hadn't done too well in bowl games. We had a dream start to a season including the Arkansas win, and then that season/team fell apart.

So I was well nervous because you never know what the next hire will do, but also hoping that maybe the next guy would take it further.

At this point the rhetoric is he can't coach, but I doubt that. Or well this is what you get with a first time coach. And while I agree with that to an extent he has been here 5 years. He should be learning a lot along the way. It is possible that he made key mistakes that he cannot bounce back from but some other program will benefit from next (this would be soul crushing). It's hard for most of us to know.

As for Wren, I have confidence in that he will find a coach who has experience and has been successful (Mens basketball and softball hires model if you will). So I'm not that worried about it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Iwas a little nervous if he leaves because he had clearly shown to me at least he could coach. I see a lot of hot takes about how he can't coach but it would seem that taking a team from 1 win to 9 in two years shows you can.

Let's just say that 9 wins in CUSA ain't what it used to be. It was a pickup, in the absolute, unanimous, hands down, worst conference in FBS.  The stats quoted that we haven't beaten a winning team in a few years are more relevant. He can win against the worst of the worst. That's it. That's literally all he's done.

• Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Let's just say that 9 wins in CUSA ain't what it used to be. It was a pickup, in the absolute, unanimous, hands down, worst conference in FBS.  The stats quoted that we haven't beaten a winning team in a few years are more relevant. He can win against the worst of the worst. That's it. That's literally all he's done.

So even if we win in CUSA you would want to complain? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

The conspiracies run wild in MG land

You're welcome.

Got a lot of butthurt for that one.

Brian Parish did like it though so there's that.

I mean untjim isn't throwing around wild ass accusations about RV's doings anymore so somebody has to take up the mantle 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Telling strangers to "lighten up" never works, but it makes me feel good about my position and the saying can usually be found near a generational gap.

I just thought it was hilarious. I think 6 people called me an idiot for saying that. Like yeah, that's kind of the point.

season 8 karen 2.0 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Wow it’s almost as if we had to replace a historic starting quarterback, quarterback coach, both line coaches, and all three coordinators in a year where we skipped spring practice.

Wait how is discipline, that doesn’t take a whole spring to straighten up, apart of what you said. That is coaching no matter if you had 2 months, or the whole year.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Wait how is discipline, that doesn’t take a whole spring to straighten up, apart of what you said. That is coaching no matter if you had 2 months, or the whole year.

All three examples of being undisciplined you have have a direct correlation with quarterback cadence (new quarterback, 2 new quarterbacks actually) or scheme (directly impacted by the coaching changes on both lines and at the coordinator positions). Factor in that the new coaches had less than 30 days between fall camp opening and game 1 to prepare their new players and that we had to play true freshmen and walkons due to Covid and you cam begin see where things wouldn’t go as smoothly as you’d hope. 

Coaches always talk about the value of extra bowl practices and you are over here saying, if you are a competent coach, you don’t need practice, your players should just know automatically.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

The conspiracies run wild in MG land

How about:

"What if Seth Littrell botches the DC hire and basically has another 4-8 season with gaudy offensive numbers, pockets another $1.8 million from UNT, and then puts himself in a position for a P5 OC gig?"

Seems like a VERY safe bet.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

All three examples of being undisciplined you have have a direct correlation with quarterback cadence (new quarterback, 2 new quarterbacks actually) or scheme (directly impacted by the coaching changes on both lines and at the coordinator positions). Factor in that the new coaches had less than 30 days between fall camp opening and game 1 to prepare their new players and that we had to play true freshmen and walkons due to Covid and you cam begin see where things wouldn’t go as smoothly as you’d hope. 

Coaches always talk about the value of extra bowl practices and you are over here saying, if you are a competent coach, you don’t need practice, your players should just know automatically.

A couple of comments in reference to the bold areas 

Seth knew he would have new QB's last year. There were games during mason's last year where Seth could have got the backups in to gain experience but left mason in. In my opinion he put passing stats above preparing the next QB.s

There was not enough "extra" practices gained by playing in the bowl this year. It was a bad matchup and the results did more harm than good. I said it before the game, we should have opted out of playing a bowl that would only give a few days of extra practice. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

How about:

"What if Seth Littrell botches the DC hire and basically has another 4-8 season with gaudy offensive numbers, pockets another $1.8 million from UNT, and then puts himself in a position for a P5 OC gig?"

Seems like a VERY safe bet.

I think he has much more integrity than that.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think he has much more integrity than that.

botching the DC hire has nothing to do with integrity.....Notice I removed "intentionally"

There is a good chance this hire will get botched (there's no past evidence to suggest otherwise) and I would think there are many P5s out there that would want him to be OC.

• Eye Roll 1

I think we can all agree: just about anything not named Mendoza would be a step up from Bowen, which IMO begs the follow-up question: what are your expectations for this DC hire?  You can talk about resume and qualifications, but I'm more interested in hearing how well you think our 2021 defense should/can perform.

Edited by greenminer

56 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

A couple of comments in reference to the bold areas 

Seth knew he would have new QB's last year. There were games during mason's last year where Seth could have got the backups in to gain experience but left mason in. In my opinion he put passing stats above preparing the next QB.s

There was not enough "extra" practices gained by playing in the bowl this year. It was a bad matchup and the results did more harm than good. I said it before the game, we should have opted out of playing a bowl that would only give a few days of extra practice. 

I agree with you on both points. On the second point, I was just trying to exhibit for him that every practice counts and is desired by coaches to make their players better. More is better than less especially with an almost entirely new staff.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I agree with you on both points. On the second point, I was just trying to exhibit for him that every practice counts and is desired by coaches to make their players better. More is better than less especially with an almost entirely new staff.

I agree that the lack of practice and being able to become repetitive in our process hit us hard. Bottom line it is the coaches responsibility to adapt and find a way and we did not do it.

Another are I question, and I know many want to 100% blame coaches, where was the leadership from within the team? Seems some of the things on the sideline should have been taken care of internally 

• Upvote 1