Oh Tommy Perry, How I Miss Thee

UNTLifer

13 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

It’s so so so bad right now.  Punt blocks schmunt blocks...those are the first positive special teams plus we’ve seen all year outside of T Moore’s reliable leg.  It’s pathetic.  We consistently lose the Special Teams battle every week.  

You forget other key plays like the UAB return. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Okay, true...one VERY big play.  What others have there been? 

How about ATROCIOUS downfield blocking on kickoffs/punts?  Piss-poor kickoff coverage (not just the TD returns)? Muffs or near-muffs because you have 2guys back to field a punt (who does that?)?

not impressed with Biagi at all.

great blocked punt & return!

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How about ATROCIOUS downfield blocking on kickoffs/punts?  Piss-poor kickoff coverage (not just the TD returns)? Muffs or near-muffs because you have 2guys back to field a punt (who does that?)?

not impressed with Biagi at all.

great blocked punt & return!

Remember it’s year 1 of Biagi.. he needs time for his systems just like Reff 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

His system? It's freakng special teams man. That's a cop out if there ever was one. The special teams has been almost, ALMOST as bad as the defense. And that's saying something. Though tonight, the defense was better than the special teams. And that's saying something entirely different.  

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I don't really know what kind of 'system' he has to get up to speed, but Littrell gave him access to his starters, so there isn't an excuse of inferior players.

He can't get them to stay in their lanes on kickoffs, hence no one sealing the hash on a kick to the side of the field & their guy just bounces it out and runs across the field & down the opposite sideline for the TD.

21 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

His system? It's freakng special teams man. That's a cop out if there ever was one. The special teams has been almost, ALMOST as bad as the defense. And that's saying something. Though tonight, the defense was better than the special teams. And that's saying something entirely different.  

I know it’s a cop out, just like the cop out of Reff only being in season 2 that people gave last week after the blowout.. I just think it’s funny people bag on Biagi (when his unit has struggled as much as the defense) but yet defense Reff..

ST was terrible tonite and nearly cost us that game.. 

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I know it’s a cop out, just like the cop out of Reff only being in season 2 that people gave last week after the blowout.. I just think it’s funny people bag on Biagi (when his unit has struggled as much as the defense) but yet defense Reff..

Both should be given a pink slip at years end as far as I'm concerned. If it's not 1 unit costing us or almost costing us a game, it's the other. You can't have liabilities in 2 of the 3 phases and expect to build sustainability. It's just not realistic to think it. I'm not saying you are, I am just saying. 

• Lovely Take 2

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Ref is in his first season...

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Both should be given a pink slip at years end as far as I'm concerned. If it's not 1 unit costing us or almost costing us a game, it's the other. You can't have liabilities in 2 of the 3 phases and expect to build sustainability. It's just not realistic to think it. I'm not saying you are, I am just saying. 

Again, the post about Biagi being in Year 1 was to mock the people defending Reff being in Year 2 of his defense (after the FAU game), but yet people have called for the head of Biagi.. We are on the same side when it comes to who should stay and go in terms of the DC/ST jobs... 

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't really know what kind of 'system' he has to get up to speed, but Littrell gave him access to his starters, so there isn't an excuse of inferior players.

He can't get them to stay in their lanes on kickoffs, hence no one sealing the hash on a kick to the side of the field & their guy just bounces it out and runs across the field & down the opposite sideline for the TD.

I am not sure this is longer true. I noticed full hockey style switches after KO and KO return. 11 ST players running off and 11 defenders/offensive players running on. 

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

They ran Reffs defense last year, with Ek calling the plays... So they are in Season 2 of ref...

Ah!  I stand corrected.  Didn’t realize he was co last yr.  At any rate, time to make a change at DC and ST.  We have put our kids in bad positions all yr.  I love watching Ref coach.   He has passion and he coaches them hard but schematically and even down to technique we have been as bad as it gets. 

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I am not sure this is longer true. I noticed full hockey style switches after KO and KO return. 11 ST players running off and 11 defenders/offensive players running on. 

A question I will throw out there.. While I understand that getting someone like McClain or some other starter out there for KR over xyz backup.. You have to wonder is this KO Coverage stuff messing with them in terms of studying/game prep on defense and having guys like McClain not going 100% because of possible injuries... 

1 minute ago, tmjerm said:

Ah!  I stand corrected.  Didn’t realize he was co last yr.  At any rate, time to make a change at DC and ST.  We have put our kids in bad positions all yr.  I love watching Ref coach.   He has passion and he coaches them hard but schematically and even down to technique we have been as bad as it gets. 

The defense has regressed.. We can make excuses of us playing more Man to Man and blitzing leading to us getting burned, but yet as the DC he should realize he doesn't have the guys to get to the QB and go back to the playcalling of last year.. 

Also, while the defense looked bad at times tonight they did produce multiple turnovers in terms of INTs and FF, which is a great sign of improvement. Reff needs to lock it down vs UTEP, Rice and Army... 

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did you not see arguably our defensive MVP get injured on a return?

Wheeler, that's right, I did see that. But I did notice a few times 11 running off/on and 11 running off/on. 

And EJ is the D MVP if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to come up with that fallacy. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

And EJ is the D MVP if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to come up with that fallacy. 

I'd say Khari, but both are solid choices.. 

Also, Wheeler had a big bag on ice on his knee... Did the broadcast (if anyone listened to it) say what it was?

I know WIlson was out because of a bruise 

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'd say Khari, but both are solid choices.. 

Also, Wheeler had a big bag on ice on his knee... Did the broadcast (if anyone listened to it) say what it was?

I know WIlson was out because of a bruise 

Didn't know this. I thought SL actually bowed his back a little and pulled him because of his fumble and almost fumble. I should've known better. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Didn't know this. I thought SL actually bowed his back a little and pulled him because of his fumble and almost fumble. I should've known better. 

I think the fumbling (likely) had some impact as well.. But Wilson got banged up and I think this was the same spot/bruise so instead of forcing it may it was meant to be a lesson/recover game... 

43 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

You realize defense gave up 2 TDs that were directly their fault? 

Scores/drive summary from ODU 

1st score KO return

1st  drive 4 plays Punt 

2nd drive 6 plays 31 yards FG 

2nd score KO return 

3rd drive ball started on their own 16 Field Goal 

4th drive INT 

5th drive 3 plays Punt 

6th drive 17 plays Field Goal 

half

7th drive 9 plays 3:30 off clock TD

8th drive 4 plays INT 

9th drive 11 plays 4 minutes TD

10th drive 5 plays Strip Sack Fumble recovered

11th drive turnover on downs

12th drive turnover on downs

13th drive turnover on downs.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think the fumbling (likely) had some impact as well.. But Wilson got banged up and I think this was the same spot/bruise so instead of forcing it may it was meant to be a lesson/recover game... 

I got to the car in time to hear part of SL's post-game radio interview. He said Wilson was banged up coming into the game, aggravated it early, went to the locker room for more padding, but it was still a problem when he tried to go. It sounded like the fumbling was the icing on the cake.