Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Mobile or desktop VPNs for potential ESPN3 blackout tomorrow?


Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2017 at 12:53 PM, dmaxel said:

No one has since said that it's against the board rules, so...

I have personal experience with PrivateInternetAccess. They've been solid for me, and cheap. That'd be my first recommendation. I have also heard a ton of good things about NordVPN. Give those a shot and see if they help. You could hypothetically try to look for free VPN providers, but those are usually pretty terrible in quality, performance, and trustworthiness.

A post of mine from another thread last week. I will say though that mobile can be a little trickier... while on desktop location can usually only be determined by the internet connection (hence why a VPN works so well), a mobile device usually has GPS capabilities that would override the attributes of the internet connection. Depends on if the app you're trying to use takes advantage of GPS -- not sure if ESPN does.

Edited by dmaxel
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Much to my chagrin, I'll have to work in town tomorrow during the game. Fearing a potential local blackout like the UTSA game had, are there any trusted mobile VPNs that are your go-tos?

ESPN3 is subject to blackouts??

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

A post of mine from another thread last week. I will say though that mobile can be a little trickier... while on desktop location can usually only be determined by the internet connection (hence why a VPN works so well), a mobile device usually has GPS capabilities that would override the attributes of the internet connection. Depends on if the app you're trying to use takes advantage of GPS -- not sure if ESPN does.

On my iphone it doesn't look like WatchESPN uses location services, so that may be a plus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

ESPN3 is subject to blackouts??

If you're in an area where it's being broadcast over the air, then yes. But that reminds me, since this game is ONLY going to be on ESPN3 and nowhere else, I highly doubt it'll be blacked out @Christopher Walker

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

On my iphone it doesn't look like WatchESPN uses location services, so that may be a plus.

That's good. I also think it's possible to turn off location services specifically for ESPN in the Settings app. That might help force it to use just the internet connection as location info.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread brings up such delicious opportunity for me to point accusatory fingers at you and tell you what an unloyal fan you are and how your life priorities are wrong and bad and you should feel bad and I am the best fan ever because I went through my closet to find an appropriately #FFFFFF black shirt to participate in the blackout tomorrow while silently spewing under my breath that it's the wrong shade of green and that we're the Mean Green, not the Mean Black. 

I am 100% absolutely going to stand at attention with my hand over my heart in the club while the anthem is playing tomorrow too. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This thread brings up such delicious opportunity for me to point accusatory fingers at you and tell you what an unloyal fan you are and how your life priorities are wrong and bad and you should feel bad and I am the best fan ever because I went through my closet to find an appropriately #FFFFFF black shirt to participate in the blackout tomorrow while silently spewing under my breath that it's the wrong shade of green and that we're the Mean Green, not the Mean Black. 

I am 100% absolutely going to stand at attention with my hand over my heart in the club while the anthem is playing tomorrow too. 

Love this post but I absolutely cannot live with my internet self without mentioning that #FFFFFF is white. But maybe . . . it was subversion. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This thread brings up such delicious opportunity for me to point accusatory fingers at you and tell you what an unloyal fan you are and how your life priorities are wrong and bad and you should feel bad and I am the best fan ever because I went through my closet to find an appropriately #FFFFFF black shirt to participate in the blackout tomorrow while silently spewing under my breath that it's the wrong shade of green and that we're the Mean Green, not the Mean Black. 

I am 100% absolutely going to stand at attention with my hand over my heart in the club while the anthem is playing tomorrow too. 

 

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

Love this post but I absolutely cannot live with my internet self without mentioning that #FFFFFF is white. But maybe . . . it was subversion. 

I think the #FFFFFF is what makes it. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

 

I think the #FFFFFF is what makes it. ;)

It was actually unintentional upon first writing.  I caught it later, but found it entirely too amusing to remove. 

3 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Love this post but I absolutely cannot live with my internet self without mentioning that #FFFFFF is white. But maybe . . . it was subversion. 

I actually did get it backwards upon first writing.  I fact checked myself, realized I'd gotten it backwards, and found it too funny to correct. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.