UTSA Fans discuss UNT game

Harry

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If Griggs can't fix his accuracy issues, they're gonna have a hard time winning against the better teams this season

Griggs has had a fantastic season so far.   Not as good as Fine, but better than Sturm... VS virtually the same competition (Kentucky = Baylor, both played Southern, ULMo = TXSt.).   
I think we can all agree USM's run game is much more dangerous than UTSA's.   

I'm just not all that impressed with UTSA at the moment.  3-0 with a win over Big12 Baylor is certainly something to feel good about, but digging into it, if I'm coach Hopson & USM, I feel pretty good going in there looking for the upset.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Griggs has had a fantastic season so far.   Not as good as Fine, but better than Sturm... VS virtually the same competition (Kentucky = Baylor, both played Southern, ULMo = TXSt.).   
I think we can all agree USM's run game is much more dangerous than UTSA's.   

I'm just not all that impressed with UTSA at the moment.  3-0 with a win over Big12 Baylor is certainly something to feel good about, but digging into it, if I'm coach Hopson & USM, I feel pretty good going in there looking for the upset.

True. I think the big difference is the O/D-line of UTSA is pretty much better across the board.

I think it’ll be a close game but UTSA’s experience/depth on the lines will carry them

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I know it might be wishful thinking, but the attendance and energy at this game needs to rival that of the Rice 2013 game or the Apogee Opener against Houston.   The crowd played such a part in that game, that Case Keenum/Houston kept having false starts because of the crowd noise.

Everyone needs to bring a buddy...Buy em a ticket...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

I know it might be wishful thinking, but the attendance and energy at this game needs to rival that of the Rice 2013 game or the Apogee Opener against Houston.   The crowd played such a part in that game, that Case Keenum/Houston kept having false starts because of the crowd noise.

Everyone needs to bring a buddy...Buy em a ticket...

yeah the only better possible lead up to this game would have been if we had beaten Iowa. But we are riding a 2-game streak, and play a Texas opponent. I hate that it is on Texas-OU weekend. Thems the breaks tho.

The 2013 season showed that when NT starts winning games the stadium gets a little more full every week. The UTSA game in 2013 would have been packed if it were not for the freeze. The previous weekend was the best attended game of the season that wasn't in the Cotton Bowl.

That said, we have to remember that no one -- not even UTSA -- is getting the kind of crowd they want. Here is the local news guy (and NT alumnus) out here begging for fans to show up.

• Lovely Take 2

3 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

yeah the only better possible lead up to this game would have been if we had beaten Iowa. But we are riding a 2-game streak, and play a Texas opponent. I hate that it is on Texas-OU weekend. Thems the breaks tho.

The 2013 season showed that when NT starts winning games the stadium gets a little more full every week. The UTSA game in 2013 would have been packed if it were not for the freeze. The previous weekend was the best attended game of the season that wasn't in the Cotton Bowl.

That said, we have to remember that no one -- not even UTSA -- is getting the kind of crowd they want. Here is the local news guy (and NT alumnus) out here begging for fans to show up.

I loved what Don Harris said.  Theres been little to no love from the media locally, they are always fixated on the Longhorns and Aggies.  This year we have started to see some change in that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

I loved what Don Harris said.  Theres been little to no love from the media locally, they are always fixated on the Longhorns and Aggies.  This year we have started to see some change in that.  

That's good for you guys!    We're always stuck behind those two teams as well, but also have to deal with TCU & SMU.   

Sucks when you're down, but it's nice when you're winning and can get some air time with those guys!

• Lovely Take 2

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's good for you guys!    We're always stuck behind those two teams as well, but also have to deal with TCU & SMU.   

Sucks when you're down, but it's nice when you're winning and can get some air time with those guys!

Agreed, and those guys will get their air time if they win or lose.  

Also, there is absolutely nothing that could get me to like a place with a fan base like smu.  

image.png.b5eb66681a48fcbcec23f2bbb4c580c8.png

Did they just get off their expensive boats and come straight to the game? 

Edited by Rowdy
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rowdy said:

You guys seem to really know nothing about UTSA at all, but hope all this nonsense makes you feel better for the next two weeks till game time.  

I've looked through the pages and you haven't said how people on here know nothing about UTSA?

Also, the article you posted about getting fans to the game.. Has Wilson coached in a spread offense? I'm just asking because if he did go to Ole Miss or Auburn he would be completely redoing the entire offensive scheme. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

20 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I've looked through the pages and you haven't said how people on here know nothing about UTSA?

Do we really need to go down this road?  

21 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, the article you posted about getting fans to the game.. Has Wilson coached in a spread offense? I'm just asking because if he did go to Ole Miss or Auburn he would be completely redoing the entire offensive scheme. 

Not a lot of spread being run here, but what article are you referring to? 

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't forget OU, Tech, and OSU, around here, too. 

Just now, greeneagle1 said:

I can go to a truck stop anywhere in DFW and get OU memorabilia a lot easier than to find UNT gear other than Walmart and Academy in Denton. 

Does that mean OU graduates are truck drivers?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

Not a lot of spread being run here, but what article are you referring to? 

My  bad, it was posted by someone else but this article is what I was referring too.

It talks about FW possibly going and coaching at a place like Auburn or Ole Miss in the near future, and I had no idea if he been in a spread offense before (don't recall any at LSU).. Because Auburn/Ole Miss both run the spread and it would be a challenging 1 or 2 years going from a spread to I-Formation team like FW experience has been. 

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/dons-extra-point/utsa-football-on-oct-7-in-the-dome-be-there

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

If Griggs can't fix his accuracy issues, they're gonna have a hard time winning against the better teams this season

If you can build an offense around a guy who throws like Edward Scissorhands, we're gonna be playing a hell of a lot of defense.

Coach Wally Riggendorf

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My  bad, it was posted by someone else but this article is what I was referring too.

It talks about FW possibly going and coaching at a place like Auburn or Ole Miss in the near future, and I had no idea if he been in a spread offense before (don't recall any at LSU).. Because Auburn/Ole Miss both run the spread and it would be a challenging 1 or 2 years going from a spread to I-Formation team like FW experience has been. 

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/dons-extra-point/utsa-football-on-oct-7-in-the-dome-be-there

oh ok I see, yeah it would end up being a process for him.  With that said, I hope we have a couple of years before we worry about that.  

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good call.   Although, I would guess San Antonio is pretty flooded with Tech fans/gear too?  But yeah, probably not as much OU as we see up here in the Metroplex.

Although I live closer to Austin on I-35 than SA, there is also a lot of Tech stuff.  Don't really see any OU stuff though.  

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good call.   Although, I would guess San Antonio is pretty flooded with Tech fans/gear too?  But yeah, probably not as much OU as we see up here in the Metroplex.

San Antonio is half Texas, half Aggie. Then a good portion of UTSA stuff in a little corner. Considering the circumstances, the local businesses do a decent job of having their stuff out.

I will say that although there is zero MG stuff for sale around here, when I walk around with my NT gear I get at least one or two "go mean greens" from the distance.

• Upvote 3

Just now, aztecskin said:

San Antonio is half Texas, half Aggie. Then a good portion of UTSA stuff in a little corner. Considering the circumstances, the local businesses do a decent job of having their stuff out.

I will say that although there is zero MG stuff for sale around here, when I walk around with my NT gear I get at least one or two "go mean greens" from the distance.

Not as much Tech stuff down there as there is up here?  Wow.