Kugler Gone At UTEP

AustinFromUNT

18 minutes ago, outoftown said:

That is not good. UTEP can almost only get better from here as I don't think there was too much fight left in them. By the time we play them, who knows if the interim might be able to at least have them fighting.

I can't find the article right now, but I remember the stats on interim coaches isn't very good. Their biggest positive effect is their first or second games and after that the teams they take over tend to perform as they did under the previous head coach. There are exceptions - a few do better and a few do worse. I would not be worried about an interim coach making a significant difference by the time we play UTEP. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I can't find the article right now, but I remember the stats on interim coaches isn't very good. Their biggest positive effect is their first or second games and after that the teams they take over tend to perform as they did under the previous head coach. There are exceptions - a few do better and a few do worse. I would not be worried about an interim coach making a significant difference by the time we play UTEP. 

reading the UTEP comments in minerillistrated it sounds like the majority of there players are from el paso.  Many with no other offers.  El Paso is not full of football talent.  Back in the day we would win city and first game was odessa permian, never turn out the way we had it planned.  Someone mentioned they could not get worse, when I was growing up in El Paso UTEP was beyond bad.  Lost a game to Utah 86-6 and the rest of the season was not much better.  I do recall the miners always pulled in the crowds, not much other things to do in the Sun City.  The high school at that time all had their own stadiums and all played on Friday nights.  Granted I left el paso in 1978 and never looked back so things might be better there.   I remember walking the first time on the NTSU campus and seeing all the green.  I loved it and hayden fry was here for one year while i was attending.  that is why I bleed green.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

Recruiting EP & UTEP is damn near impossible. I'm from EP. That said, it's just a bad sell. School is terrible and the town is too. Locals love it but everyone else doesn't. Success as a coach there is almost unattainable. Those coaches are good at their job but they just don't have the players to do it.

At the end of the day, I hope we hang a 100 on them on Homecoming. After going there to watch UNT play I wish UTEP, EP, and their classless fan base nothing but sports misery. I hope everyone pours it on them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Recruiting EP & UTEP is damn near impossible. I'm from EP. That said, it's just a bad sell. School is terrible and the town is too. Locals love it but everyone else doesn't. Success as a coach there is almost unattainable. Those coaches are good at their job but they just don't have the players to do it.

At the end of the day, I hope we hang a 100 on them on Homecoming. After going there to watch UNT play I wish UTEP, EP, and their classless fan base nothing but sports misery. I hope everyone pours it on them. 

I used to work out in El Paso a lot.  UTEP was one of my customers.  I heard stories that when UTEP was trying to recruit staff and/or faculty, HR would always make sure that the visiting flight in would be at night so the potential candidate wouldn't get a daylight view of the miles and miles of desolation.  

Best Mexican food in the country though.  (Except Chico's tacos, which is an abomination unto the Lord that I don't understand at all) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I used to work out in El Paso a lot.  UTEP was one of my customers.  I heard stories that when UTEP was trying to recruit staff and/or faculty, HR would always make sure that the visiting flight in would be at night so the potential candidate wouldn't get a daylight view of the miles and miles of desolation.  

Best Mexican food in the country though.  (Except Chico's tacos, which is an abomination unto the Lord that I don't understand at all) 

Chicos is absolutely disgusting. After being away a few years the Mexican food isn't all that anymore. For me anyway. I use to love it, now I view it as fat, greasy, and over spiced. But that's just my opinion. My wife feels the same though and she use to love it.

I have great memories of EP but its all in the rear view. I don't plan on ever going back again and I won't miss it.

UTEP is smart for trying to hide the optics of EP because everyone I know is taken back the first time they see it. The best reaction I heard was my friend who said, "It's like they got halfway done and said awe F--- it...". 

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

don't they schedule teams they can beat for homecoming? Only thing worse than el paso is el paso in the spring time. The sandstorms are terrible.  I know a lot of the locals think is great because they have never been anywhere else.  Never got that Chico taco things and for Mexican food I prefer the mexican food in northern new mexico. El Paso is not close to anything, juarez does not count it is a war zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Boca_Nasty_96 said:

That would be a horrible hire for the Miners. 

But it could be good for us!

9 hours ago, southsideguy said:

don't they schedule teams they can beat for homecoming? Only thing worse than el paso is el paso in the spring time. The sandstorms are terrible.  I know a lot of the locals think is great because they have never been anywhere else.  Never got that Chico taco things and for Mexican food I prefer the mexican food in northern new mexico. El Paso is not close to anything, juarez does not count it is a war zone.

Dirt in the mouth, eyes, and ears isn't awesome? Spot on about it being in the secluded. That is one of the worst parts about living there. That's also another reason recruiting tough. The city and school are a hard sell, then add being in the middle of nowhere with overpriced airfare or a 9 to 10 hour drive from the rest of the state. There's no easy fix there. The city itself has a hard time trying to stop educated & talented people from fleeing elsewhere.