DRC: Lingering questions as UNT nears end of camp

Brett Vito

I’m a huge homer. I generally stand on the side of optimistic... but calling Mason a “proven quarterback” is a MASSIVE stretch.

Edit: I’m a Mason Fine believer. I think he’ll be a good to very good QB here, but not proven at this point. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I’m a huge homer. I generally stand on the side of optimistic... but calling Mason a “proven quarterback” is a MASSIVE stretch.

Edit: I’m a Mason Fine believer. I think he’ll be a good to very good QB here, but not proven at this point. 

Yea and this coming from a beat writer that was a bigtime Alec Morris homer and gave very little respect to Mason until he went head-to-head with Bret's nemesis, my adopted player, Quinn Shanbour.. Once it was down to Mason and Quinn, Mason was all of a sudden a star with tons of experience. 

Oh Vito, what makes you dislike my boy Shanbour so much?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Marty said:

Didn't Barr get injured last season? 

Yup. Vito words it like Sam Rice started snapping after practice and then relegated Barr to the bench once he got the hang of snapping. Rice had been getting reps at center all fall camp and I think back in spring as well. The way I remember it, Barr was the starter and Rice was the starting guard/backup center, then moved over once Barr was injured.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a question.    What exactly has caused us to still be short on the # of scholarships.    Does this have something to do with all the JUCO signings ?

After thinking about it.    It is probably more due to players leaving the team.   Correct ?

Edited by akriesman

1 minute ago, akriesman said:

I have a question.    What exactly has caused us to still be short on the # of scholarships.    Does this have something to do with all the JUCO signings ?

Take a look at the past 5 recruiting classes and see if all of these guys are still around... you'll be shocked.
This is the reason why we're so low.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

36 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

that's a nut shot to tyler stradford by vito.  he didn't live up to expectaions, but i don't know if he needs to be called out specifically.  we've had multiple "big" school transfers not work out.

I think we had a OL xfer from SEC Arkansas a few years ago...IIRC he also brought in his brother.  I don't remember if he/they ever took a snap.

• Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think we had a OL xfer from SEC Arkansas a few years ago...IIRC he also brought in his brother.  I don't remember if he/they ever took a snap.

The Feldt brothers. Cam transferred in and couldn't crack the two deep.  Blake hurt his beck and gave up the game. He now coaches with his Dad at Odessa Permian. 

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The Feldt brothers. Cam transferred in and couldn't crack the two deep.  Blake hurt his beck and gave up the game. He now coaches with his Dad at Odessa Permian. 

Boone Feldt is the O-line coach at UT Permian Basin. Blake is the father, he's the HC at Odessa Permian.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1