DRC: UNT to play more man, media day notes

Brett Vito

34 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I'm ready to hit someone

Settle down Ike.

Vito always throwing shade on my boy Shanbour. Everybody knows Mason is going to start but that doesn't mean he can't say positive things about Quinn.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Man is good but be patient.  We may get burned a few times early in the season especially against some of the tougher teams.  The payoff on playing solid man coverage is huge from a pass rush perspective in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Man is good but be patient.  We may get burned a few times early in the season especially against some of the tougher teams.  The payoff on playing solid man coverage is huge from a pass rush perspective in my opinion.

That's all well and good, but the game I most care about is #2 on the schedule.  Yes, I understand and agree we need to do well in conference above all.  Still doesn't change the fact that I hate smu's guts and want to beat the crap out of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

We will get beat no doubt, but we were getting beat last year anyway, so may as well give us a fighting chance with more pressure.

A lot of us have been asking for tighter coverage for some years.  Thanks Ref.  

It's easy for us to say let's play more man, let's press, but it takes a lot to pull it off.  One main thing is you lose the corners with helping out in stopping the run, but you will hope the extra men in the box can take care of it without help.

Another thing is fatigue.  The corners are.going to get tired and you have to have quality depth that can cover man to man.  All 3 corners are going to get a lot of work.  Maybe even a 4th corner depending on how much man and if they press.

• Upvote 1

I love Brett's overly blatant bias against Shanbour. I have no doubt Fine will probably be starting, but it's pretty hilarious nonetheless.

*If you didn't know*

Fine was the two-time Oklahoma Player of the Year during his career at Locust Grove.

*While this scrub here*

Shanbour is a former walk-on who has thrown one pass in a game heading into his redshirt junior year.

"We are going to announce a starter late this week or early next week," Littrell said. "Both have done some really good things and have strengths and weaknesses they need to work on."

*interviews only one player in the race*

"There is a big difference," Fine said of where he is now compared to a year ago. "I had to transition to college pretty fast. This year I have experience and feel like I am a better quarterback than I was last year. I understand defenses and what they are trying to do and our offense and what the coaches are looking for. All in all I am way more comfortable."

*Did I mention how much I like Fine, especially playing on the Head Coach of the 4 time Sun Belt Champion UNT Teams Darrell R Dickey practice fields? Oh and that 2013 HOD Champion QB Starter now OC of the Sherman Bearcats Derek Thompson is the last QB to win a bowl for the Mean Green? Something Fine, **THE CLEAR STARTER WHY ARE WE EVEN DISCUSSING THIS** is trying to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

That's all well and good, but the game I most care about is #2 on the schedule.  Yes, I understand and agree we need to do well in conference above all.  Still doesn't change the fact that I hate smu's guts and want to beat the crap out of them.

^^^^^^^

The "have patience" thing is so UNT. They need to scheme better vs the better playmakers. Bottom line. You don't strand your corners out there if they're going to get burnt. We're 3 weeks away from the SMU game and if they do that with Sutton he's going to have a field day. No team will do that with Sutton unless they have a lock down 1st or 2nd rounder that is going to be flip floppin all over the field. Even then, it's risky. Now by all means, be aggressive. But don't F around and let a top 10 WR in the country have a 200 yard day on you bc of busted plays and/or 1 on 1 coverage. Dry that well up and make them earn it somewhere else. 

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Settle down Ike.

Vito always throwing shade on my boy Shanbour. Everybody knows Mason is going to start but that doesn't mean he can't say positive things about Quinn.

I just wanted to put some pads on and hit. Got really pumped by the article.....then pulled a hammy jumping down 2 steps in the parking lot. I should stay in the Club Section. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Settle down Ike.

I wonder if he's ever going to bother to actually talk to him.

I thought this was interesting too...

Shanbour is a former walk-on who has thrown one pass in a game heading into his redshirt junior year

. That's his way of saying that Shanbour is now on scholarship.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I'm glad we're going with a more aggressive approach, however I'm kind of concerned with the Sutton vs Brooks matchup coming in week 2.

This was what I was thinking while reading that article.

11 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

...Now by all means, be aggressive. But don't F around and let a top 10 WR in the country have a 200 yard day on you bc of busted plays and/or 1 on 1 coverage. Dry that well up and make them earn it somewhere else. 

Exactly.   Cant excuse this guy beating us and putting an L on our schedule because "it's going to help us with experience later".

Guys, I doubt we have Sutton man to man.  Sure, we plan on playing more man to man this season, but it doesn't mean every single WR for every game.

I think Ref is going to come with different looks.  Doesn't mean it still won't get beat, but I think Ref is going to try more things instead of sitting and watching the same defense get beat over and over.  

I think we are going to see Refs defense and realize we had more winnable games last season.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Guys, I doubt we have Sutton man to man.  Sure, we plan on playing more man to man this season, but it doesn't mean every single WR for every game.

I think Ref is going to come with different looks.  Doesn't mean it still won't get beat, but I think Ref is going to try more things instead of sitting and watching the same defense get beat over and over.  

I think we are going to see Refs defense and realize we had more winnable games last season.

I bet there will be some plays where Brooks is challenged to cover Sutton man so that certain blitzes can be run.
Hopefully he's not challenged on those plays, because unless Brooks has matured quite a bit over the offseason, if Sutton gets in his head, he's going to have a very tough time recovering.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I bet there will be some plays where Brooks is challenged to cover Sutton man so that certain blitzes can be run.
Hopefully he's not challenged on those plays, because unless Brooks has matured quite a bit over the offseason, if Sutton gets in his head, he's going to have a very tough time recovering.

I could see a Brooks vs Sutton 1 on 1 in the red zone.  I just don't see Sutton running one on one 40 yards down the field too often.  A few times maybe, but not as a standard defense like last year.

The Qb running was a big issue that we won't have this time.  

And SMU is still going to throw it to Sutton even when he is double covered.

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

I agree.  Brooks will draw man to man against Sutton on some plays, but I also expect help over the top, etc...  Reffett will do all he can to disguise coverages, blitzs, etc... to confuse the offense.