DD named OC at Memphis

Marty

I wish DD the best.  He was always extremely friendly when I had the opportunity to talk to him and he was helpful with some of the old board members that put together the flag football game, etc...  I think by the time he left, he had had enough of RV's BS and just gave up.  I am glad he is over his health issues and hope to see him succeed even though he is infamous for referring to us as "MF'ers!"

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

First, funny that the article goes over Dickey's entire resume except for the stint at North Texas.  

Second, Offensive coordinator?  Wasn't he famous for three yards and a cloud of dust here?  I never saw any of his teams, but from what I gather, defense won those games. 

When DD became the Tigers co-OC...the first time a couple of years back, he had showed that he had changed philosophies from what he was known for here, and ended up having a top passing QB in Paxton Lynch playing for them.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/14473004/highly-rated-memphis-tigers-qb-paxton-lynch-declares-nfl-draft
http://es.pn/1IGrtkb

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

If Dickey were the head coach for the Cowboys yesterday , they probably win by 14 

Yeah OK, I'm sure he would have fooled the Green Bay Packers by running a half back draw on every single third down during the game! The Dickey/Ramon Flanagan offense was hands down worst offensive play calling at any level I've ever seen, it made Dan McCarneys offense look like the air raid! Don't fool yourself that offense at Memphis was all Justin Fuente, there is a reason DD didn't make the trip to VA Tech with Fuente.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, MeanGreenNC said:

Yeah OK, I'm sure he would have fooled the Green Bay Packers by running a half back draw on every single third down during the game! The Dickey/Ramon Flanagan offense was hands down worst offensive play calling at any level I've ever seen, it made Dan McCarneys offense look like the air raid! Don't fool yourself that offense at Memphis was all Justin Fuente, there is a reason DD didn't make the trip to VA Tech with Fuente.

LOL! 

Actual story. During our last game with Tulsa (@ Tulsa) with DD as head coach, we were in a third and long situation. I got my wife on the phone and said "Hey! we're in a third and long situation what do you think we'll run? She said "well, it's going to be either power play left or power play right". I said "you don't think it's going to be a pass?.......nope! was her answer........and she was right.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenNC said:

I remember being at a UNT/Baylor game during Coach Dickey's tenure at UNT.  By the time I got back to Denton there were a dozen posts complaining about the number of draws he called.  BS.  Those folks wouldn't know a draw if it was run right over them.  Not every run between the tackles is a draw.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenNC said:

Yeah we would have made more conference championships and bowl appearances

amirite 

Darrell Dickey was one hell of a football coach.  He'd have gone 13-0 and North Texas would have become Boise State-South if he'd had Apogee, higher assistant coach pay, and better facilities to work with!

Raise a mug to Darrell Dickey, the next time you raise a mug!

636201559665636312-1231-MASP-umfb13.JPG

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Yeah we would have made more conference championships and bowl appearances

amirite 

Agree.

I also recall that
_3806351.JPG

set some receiving records with Darrell Dickey as the head coach.

People forget that.  I know you don't forget it.  But, "people" tend to forget. 

(We also had some pretty good receiving tight ends back then, no?)

• Upvote 7

In hindsight I just don't think DD was that great of a coach. He got schooled by all the FBS programs in the Big West at the start of his career and his job was only saved by the fact they moved into the Sunbelt and his teams were good enough to beat a bunch of FBS start ups for a few  years until all of those programs clearly passed us by in recruiting and coaching. His record against non Sunbelt schools in the bowl years was awful. Sometimes the truth just hurts.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

being at Memphis has worked out for coach Dickey as well.

Under Fuente, Dickey made 250,000 a year...last season as Assoc/co-OC he made 275,000...and he is set to make 325,000 now as Assoc HC/OC

plus, his wife is from Memphis (he was an asst at Memphis in 86 and 87 I believe), so he may be here for awhile (and that's fine by me)

Edited by gomemphistigers1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Darrell Dickey was one hell of a football coach.  He'd have gone 13-0 and North Texas would have become Boise State-South if he'd had Apogee, higher assistant coach pay, and better facilities to work with!

Raise a mug to Darrell Dickey, the next time you raise a mug!

636201559665636312-1231-MASP-umfb13.JPG

Agree.

I also recall that
_3806351.JPG

No, receiving records were not set during his tenure as head coach, and yes you're correct in the fact he had great receivers and tight ends, he just refused to throw the ball to allow them to make plays, that was what was so frustrating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenNC said:

In hindsight I just don't think DD was that great of a coach. He got schooled by all the FBS programs in the Big West at the start of his career and his job was only saved by the fact they moved into the Sunbelt and his teams were good enough to beat a bunch of FBS start ups for a few  years until all of those programs clearly passed us by in recruiting and coaching. His record against non Sunbelt schools in the bowl years was awful. Sometimes the truth just hurts.

you have to assume he learned something from his time at UNT, though...then he spent several years learning prolific offenses under Fuente and Norvell.

that said, his Memphis squad as 'interim HC' got their butts handed to them in Birmingham.

promo275782631.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I also recall that
_3806351.JPG

Interesting that you post that picture of that UNT-LaTech game.  That was the game where our starters were doing awful. Down by something like 18 points.  Takes out every starter, puts in the B team and they get us right back in the game (and takes a lead, I recall). What does DD do to reward the hard work of the B team that actually made this a game?  he benches them in favor of the starters only for the game to get out of hand once more.  Let's raise our mugs!

wz64erf.jpg

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On January 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM, GTWT said:

I remember being at a UNT/Baylor game during Coach Dickey's tenure at UNT.  By the time I got back to Denton there were a dozen posts complaining about the number of draws he called.  BS.  Those folks wouldn't know a draw if it was run right over them.  Not every run between the tackles is a draw.

This is true. DD employed a wide array of runs between the tackles.  A whole playbook actually. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, gomemphistigers1 said:

being at Memphis has worked out for coach Dickey as well.

Under Fuente, Dickey made 250,000 a year...last season as Assoc/co-OC he made 275,000...and he is set to make 325,000 now as Assoc HC/OC

plus, his wife is from Memphis (he was an asst at Memphis in 86 and 87 I believe), so he may be here for awhile (and that's fine by me)

Glad you like him.  Glad he is yours.  Glad he has changed his offensive philosophy....because when he was here it was B-O-R-I-N-G football and very offensive to most fans.  Like Silver said...you did not have to be at Fouts during a game to know exactly what play was coming and when. It was that BAD!  Until he called us all MF'ers I thought he was a pretty nice guy.  Took us to bowl games when we lost pretty much every OCC game and then cleaned up within the absolute worst and weakest conference in D1 ball.  If he had not changed his philosophy, Memphis would have run him off years ago.  Like I said...glad he changed...glad he is yours....glad you like him.  I wish him well...he is a very good assistant coach.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Um...Johnny Quinn is still the all-time leader in receiving yards for UNT, fellas! 

He was also the only player to ever have 500 or more yards receiving for four consecutive seasons.  Yes, the only North Texas WR ever. 

He was second all-time in receptions with 187 when he graduated, and is now third.

Please, revise history with some other player.  Quinn did set receiving records here - with offensive mastermind Darrell Dickey as the head coach.

Go to pages 84 and 85 of your 2016 UNT Factbook where the greatness of Darrell Dickey's WR Johnny Quinn is extolled far and near for all to see:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/16factbook.pdf

Coach Dickey was a fine designer of offenses, knowing how to include all parts - run game, receivers, and tight ends.  If you are the religious-type, pray that we can someday employ another coach as open-minded and innovative in designing offenses as the great Coach Dickey!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Um...Johnny Quinn is still the all-time leader in receiving yards for UNT, fellas! 

He was also the only player to ever have 500 or more yards receiving for four consecutive seasons.  Yes, the only North Texas WR ever. 

He was second all-time in receptions with 187 when he graduated, and is now third.

Please, revise history with some other player.  Quinn did set receiving records here - with offensive mastermind Darrell Dickey as the head coach.

Go to pages 84 and 85 of your 2016 UNT Factbook where the greatness of Darrell Dickey's WR Johnny Quinn is extolled far and near for all to see:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/16factbook.pdf

Coach Dickey was a fine designer of offenses, knowing how to include all parts - run game, receivers, and tight ends.  If you are the religious-type, pray that we can someday employ another coach as open-minded and innovative in designing offenses as the great Coach Dickey!

Nice try man, I loved JQ when he played here but he didn't even make the list for most receiving yards in a season. The only reason he has the most yards in school history is because he is the only receiver I can remember that started for four consecutive years.  Look at the passing attempts from Scott Hall every year, that's straight up embarrassing. Once again he had great receivers and tight ends but his stubbornness in refusing to throw the ball got him deservedly fired.

Edited by MeanGreenNC
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2