Silver lining

emmitt01

Littrell is gone at the drop of a hat if a P5 comes a calling. Don't kid yourselves. He isn't an alum, he has no attachment to UNT and wants to be the best at what he does. That means coaching against the best with the best. I wouldn't want him as head coach if his ambitions began and ended with head coach of UNT. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Littrell is gone at the drop of a hat if a P5 comes a calling. Don't kid yourselves. He isn't an alum, he has no attachment to UNT and wants to be the best at what he does. That means coaching against the best with the best. I wouldn't want him as head coach if his ambitions began and ended with head coach of UNT. 

He does have a geographic attachment to UNT being close to his hometown and family.  I wouldn't underestimate that.  However, you are right - we would be hard pressed to keep him from a P5 due to money.  Just like WKU trying to keep Brohm from leaving for Purdue.

52 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

He won't be going anywhere this year, losing 5 of 6 to close the season, regardless if some losses were close will shut many doors. Now he did great the first half of season, but finished weak.

Now if he goes 8-4 or better in 2017, then that would be awesome and if he is picked off, great for UNT and exposure as long as we make another strong hire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

56 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yeah, no North Texas coach would EVER turn down other jobs until the perfect one comes along.

cough...JJ...cough

And I think I'll put stock in the word of a guy who has known him 20+ years

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Yeah, no North Texas coach would EVER turn down other jobs until the perfect one comes along.

cough...JJ...cough

And I think I'll put stock in the word of a guy who has known him 20+ years

He may turn down a Vanderbilt. He won't turn down a mid tier P5 program. He won't turn down TTech, for example.

Of course he is going to make the RIGHT choice for his future, but some on here will interpret what you said as he won't leave for Ok St because he made a commitment to UNT. If Ok St. Offered tomorrow, he would be out the door. 

And to Bowler's point, I agree. He obviously isn't going anywhere this year. P5s will want him to win conference titles and produce a 10 win season before they look seriously in his direction. 8-4 ain't gonna draw the interest of the big boys.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

He may turn down a Vanderbilt. He won't turn down a mid tier P5 program. He won't turn down TTech, for example.

Of course he is going to make the RIGHT choice for his future, but some on here will interpret what you said as he won't leave for Ok St because he made a commitment to UNT. If Ok St. Offered tomorrow, he would be out the door. 

And to Bowler's point, I agree. He obviously isn't going anywhere this year. P5s will want him to win conference titles and produce a 10 win season before they look seriously in his direction. 8-4 ain't gonna draw the interest of the big boys.

I agree that an Ok State or OU is a given.

I just really believe he wants to totally right this ship before moving on...unless Bob Stoops retired, of course. Lol

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

What about Gary Patterson???? he stayed and don't say its because of a private school. 

17 hours ago, trud1966 said:

To me, there's a lot of silver linings

a. Great Turnout by fans.  A lot of these fans (unfortunately) probably don't come to Denton on a regular basis.  Today's game will bring more fans to Denton.

b. Game was ESPN, and UNT hung in there, and almost beat a damn good Army team.  GREAT EXPOSURE for Recruiting!!!!

I sure hope so--but in 2014, after we had just won 9 games and were the HoD Bowl Champs, we managed to accomplish something that seems impossible--to see our season ticket buyers DROP from the previous year. And that was a season when all-time UNT enemy, SMU, was on the schedule, meaning we should have seen a spike after a 9-4 season with a such a marquee name to the UNT fandom. Instead, the RV-led AD managed to accomplish the impossible--laziness will do that, I guess.

If Wren Baker can do ANY kind of marketing, we should see an upswing in season ticket buyers in 2017.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Patterson has been at TCU over 10 years, probably close to 15 years but I could be wrong and they have only been in the big 12 for 3 and only came in because of the break down with AM, Mizzo, Colo, Neb

TCU paid Patterson a lot of money, even before they were in the Big XII. Like Millions...

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Patterson has been at TCU over 10 years, probably close to 15 years but I could be wrong and they have only been in the big 12 for 3 and only came in because of the break down with AM, Mizzo, Colo, Neb

And? 

Patterson has been at TCU for 16 years. He didn't become a smoking hot commodity until after the Rose Bowl victory in 2011. TCU joined the Big 12 a year later and at the time of the Rose Bowl victory were widely rumored to be headed to the Big 12. 

Patterson took a calculated risk that TCU would be admitted. The risk paid off. That won't be any part of the equation if Littrell ever gets a P5 offer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Littrell is smart enough to make sure and take the "right P5" job (i.e. not Purdue or Vanderbilt). The one thing that is good for him here is that he can stay and build this thing into a powerhouse, without the expectations and demands of the P5 programs, particularly those bottom dwellers in their respective conference. The reality is that taking the "wrong P5" job as a stepping stone, is the kiss of death for coaches wishing to move up the ladder. 

With Neal and Wren's leadership, Littrell knows he's in a good situation to start and establish his career, and then, at the right time, be in a prime position to take the "right P5" job. 

52 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I agree that an Ok State or OU is a given.

I just really believe he wants to totally right this ship before moving on...unless Bob Stoops retired, of course. Lol

Rumor has it that Stoops is retiring at age 60....

• Upvote 1

I think we have a while with Littrell, if we need to keep him lets see what Wren can do to make the pay here more competitive at that time. Right now I hope we can get the pay increased for all the football assistants. 

47 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Littrell is smart enough to make sure and take the "right P5" job (i.e. not Purdue or Vanderbilt). The one thing that is good for him here is that he can stay and build this thing into a powerhouse, without the expectations and demands of the P5 programs, particularly those bottom dwellers in their respective conference. The reality is that taking the "wrong P5" job as a stepping stone, is the kiss of death for coaches wishing to move up the ladder. 

With Neal and Wren's leadership, Littrell knows he's in a good situation to start and establish his career, and then, at the right time, be in a prime position to take the "right P5" job. 

Rumor has it that Stoops is retiring at age 60....

You do understand that there was a STRONG argument to be made that UNT wasn't the right first head coaching job for Littrell, right?

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

He would probably leave for Tech, because of the proximity to Oklahoma. 

Would he leave for A&M? That's more or less the question. 

12 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

He would probably leave for Tech, because of the proximity to Oklahoma. 

Would he leave for A&M? That's more or less the question. 

Quicker than a blink of an eye.

Would he rather recruit 4 and 5 stars or 2 and 3 stars? 

Would he rather coach in front of 90k in the best conference in college football or in front of 20k in CUSA?

Are you really asking THIS question? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Would he rather coach in front of 90k in the best conference in college football or in front of 20k in CUSA?

Kind of. Emmitt is suggesting he's more of a Johnny Jones type guy. If so I'd say he wouldn't be that interested in A&M. I'm simply just wondering whether we should only worry if one of the Oklahoma schools come knocking.

I mean Herman did leave to his #1.

Edited by Ryan Munthe

8 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Kind of. Emmitt is suggesting he's more of a Johnny Jones type guy. If so I'd say he wouldn't be that interested in A&M. I'm simply just wondering whether we should only worry if one of the Oklahoma schools come knocking.

I mean Herman did leave to his #1.

I think the point is when we are ranked #5 in the country, that may be the time to have this conversation.

Littrell will need to string together 3 or 4 really good years with at least 2 conference championships to get the job offers he wants going forward. One really good year at UNT won't do it. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think the point is when we are ranked #5 in the country, that may be the time to have this conversation.

Littrell will need to string together 3 or 4 really good years with at least 2 conference championships to get the job offers he wants going forward. One really good year at UNT won't do it. 

I completely agree, I just feel like with today's coaching climate in the G5 that having a coach who is at least willing to finish the job (three years, hand over the reins gracefully) to leave is better than just dumping your dealer car at the airport and not tell anyone for three days.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I wonder if a team in the AAC or the MWC could get him if he builds this place into a winner? Tulsa, SMU, etc...they have $$$