Navy against Army Game Discussion - please particpate with me

Coach Bill Lewis

8 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

In brief consideration of this, I'm going with this raises the profile of our bowl game. 

Agree. If UNT beats em a second time, people will have a harder time thumbing their nose at UNT. And it will drive the point home to UNTs players that this will be a very serious game and not easy just because it was in west point.

• Upvote 5

*I root for UNT and utsa*

I think I got banned for thirty days for this take before, but... Army is a service Academy- Country, Academics, then football. I FULLY expect UNT to win. I am prior service with an honorable discharge, so, I don't need the "well did you serve?" comments.

• Upvote 2

That was an exciting game; without their quarterback, Navy didn't look like Godzilla. I hope Fine will be able to play.

My initial reaction is that we will need to throw (and complete) more quick, short passes until those linebackers from hell back off a little, then gash them with Wilson. If Fine and Wilson aren't at full speed, we are in deep doo doo.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Army is still very turnover prone and not real good on special teams.

We can beat this team again.  And I think we can do it on the ground but we'll have to earn it.

Rick

I went to the Army Navy game tonight.  True, Army is still VERY turnover prone.  And other than the one decent pass, they just really can't throw the ball that well.  UNT can beat them, but we better not assume a win like we did against UTSA & UTEP .  

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Looking all up Army, including the unis. They're in complete control of this one.

I was a bit surprised to see their uni featuring the unit patch of my old unit, the 82nd Airborne Division.  Here's some explanation of that "paratrooper look" (as I left the Army, the 82nd was the only true "Airborne", i.e. "Paratrooper" Division remaining).  Also, (and you have to read all the way to the bottom, as I know you always do), the explanation of the 82nd's "All American" nickname, which, by the way, dates from World War 1, when someone noticed that the 82nd Division had members from all states, at a time when almost all divisions drew their members from the same state:

http://news.nike.com/news/army-82nd-airborne-division-football-uniform

This article, from the Fayetteville Observer, has an awesome video imbedded, honoring the 82nd Airborne in World War 2:

http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/news/fort_bragg_report/west-point-to-don-all-american-uniforms-to-honor-nd/article_022c5786-bb0f-11e6-9ad6-074bd98d6251.html

Another one, in case the above link doesn't work, includes a pretty good explanation of the "All American" nick, and a mention of our HOD bowl matchup:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/QTP_161205ArmyUniforms-/army-wear-world-war-ii-82nd-paratrooper-inspired-uniforms-navy

And, by the way, Jeff Monken was wearing the version of the 82nd Unit Patch for dress uniforms, in red white and blue.

• Upvote 5

That national televised  event yesterday with many rich, famous & high ranking politicians in attendance absolutely does raise the profile of our bowl game.  

Now there will be many more Cadets & former Cadets  show up at the Cotton Bowl stadium to support their team that "only" broke a 15 yr losing streak to Navy.  

When we hosted Texas A & M at Texas Stadium years ago I looked around at the Mean Green side & saw fans who I knew that I'd never seen in the 70's at Fouts who I guess wanted to be seen at that "happening" event.  I think that may now happen (again) at the HOD Bowl game but what the hell...there is room for all no matter any fans reasons to be there.  Some may even stick with our program.  It should be fun for all.

GMG!  BEAT ARMY!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

• Harry locked this topic