Bowl Projections (Week 13)

shaft

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would hope so. They know how many fans we'd bring

Look at the attendance the past couple of years... I thought this last night but it was confirmed when I heard of the interest level and communication.

Bigger and higher ranked teams but steady decline in the attendance numbers since 2013.  This is a VERY good possibility.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

It's interesting because it was assumed that would be the premier bowl destination in CUSA for the champion because of the Big 10 opponent. Now, it's looking like it could be a G5 opponent and a not very good one at that. I am betting WKU wins the championship and takes the Boca Raton regardless. LaTech may not want HoD when they hear about the opponent.

It's ALL ABOUT... ????? and politics, of course.

UNT will bring in FAR better numbers.  Last years attendance was 20.2K for Washington and USM.   The year before with LaTech and Illinois was 31K.  We brought in 38K with "a shotty opponent like UNLV".  

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I don't see the Armed Forces Bowl..(TCU donor backed) ever allowing SMU or NT play in that game.  

Rick

Army played SMU in the Armed Forces Bowl in 2010, The game was played at Ford Stadium in Dallas because renovations had already started at TCU's stadium. SMU fans were heavily outnumbered even with the game played in their own on-campus stadium. Army won 16 - 14

The Armed Forces Bowl has demonstrated a lack of affinity for North Texas in the past, which we shouldn't forget, but they are not above inviting North Texas simply to sell tickets to their event. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Hopefully the last few threads regarding bowls and whether or not we should even accept an invite is not  stumbled upon by any bowl executives assistants.   They think we will bring numbers and if they see our Fanbase saying that we shouldn't even go and it doesn't count  because we didn't earn it .... Lol

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

We'll have starters at key positions back at full speed by bowl time, and weeks to prepare for a particular scheme. Navy still has two intense games remaining and would have less time to mend and gameplan. Navy is good, probably the best G5 team, but a banged up SMU hung with Navy for a half before the Mustangs quit on their coaches. A better barometer of how competitive we'd be may be how well Army plays against Navy in two weeks.

Any bowl this year would be beneficial to our program, but the opportunity to play a high profile team in a local bowl should help recruiting, and no school needs to get fans actively engaged and perceptions changed as much a North Texas.

Neal Smatresk and Wren Baker should see if North Texas is in position to guarantee twenty or thirty thousand tickets sold to buy our way into either the HOD or Armed Forces Bowl and if so, to actively start promoting the event to students while they are still on campus.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, ADLER said:

We'll have starters at key positions back at full speed by bowl time, and weeks to prepare for a particular scheme. Navy still has two intense games remaining and would have less time to mend and gameplan. Navy is good, probably the best G5 team, but a banged up SMU hung with Navy for a half before the Mustangs quit on their coaches. A better barometer of how competitive we'd be may be how well Army plays against Navy in two weeks.

Any bowl this year would be beneficial to our program, but the opportunity to play a high profile team in a local bowl should help recruiting, and no school needs to get fans actively engaged and perceptions changed as much a North Texas.

Neal Smatresk and Wren Baker should see if North Texas is in position to guarantee twenty or thirty thousand tickets sold to buy our way into either the HOD or Armed Forces Bowl and if so, to actively start promoting the event to students while they are still on campus.

i don't think you can judge the army navy game as how we would do, army smoked Utep and look what happened to us.

• Upvote 1

Just so everyone knows why the bowl projections shifted from Arizona bowl last night to Vegas/Armed Forces bowl today... If either one of USA or ULL wins Saturday (very likely), SBC will have at least 5 teams for 5 bowl tie-ins including the Arizona bowl. When Hawaii won last night, the MWC got to 7 teams for 7 bowl tie-ins, including the Arizona bowl as well. Unless Boise State leap frogs Western Michigan for a New Year's 6 game, Arizona Bowl will be Sun Belt vs. MWC per tie-ins and not in need of a fill-in.

From what I can tell at least two conferences will be short of fulfilling their bowl obligations--the Pac-12 and Big 12. Two bowls low on the todem pole for them, Armed Forces for Big 12 and Vegas for Pac-12 are showing up as potential candidates for a 5-7 APR straggler fill-in team such as UNT. I don't know much about selection order or how that works, but the bowls have to extend an offer to us before either MissSt or UT from my understanding. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Just so everyone knows why the bowl projections shifted from Arizona bowl last night to Vegas/Armed Forces bowl today... If either one of USA or ULL wins Saturday (very likely), SBC will have at least 5 teams for 5 bowl tie-ins including the Arizona bowl. When Hawaii won last night, the MWC got to 7 teams for 7 bowl tie-ins, including the Arizona bowl as well. Unless Boise State leap frogs Western Michigan for a New Year's 6 game, Arizona Bowl will be Sun Belt vs. MWC per tie-ins and not in need of a fill-in.

From what I can tell at least two conferences will be short of fulfilling their bowl obligations--the Pac-12 and Big 12. Two bowls low on the todem pole for them, Armed Forces for Big 12 and Vegas for Pac-12 are showing up as potential candidates for a 5-7 APR straggler fill-in team such as UNT. I don't know much about selection order or how that works, but the bowls have to extend an offer to us before either MissSt or UT from my understanding. 

Boise cannot be in a New Years 6 bowl because they won't be a conference champion. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Boise cannot be in a New Years 6 bowl because they won't be a conference champion. 

You're right. So that basically eliminates the Arizona Bowl unless both SBC team lose. The bowl projectors really don't research G5 bowl games and many have Arizona bowl as a CUSA bowl, hence the confusion. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ADLER said:

The score may have made it seem so at the half but SMU never threatened after their first possession.

Navy never punted in that game.

Navy had 6 scoring drives of 5 plays or less.

Of all the G5's out there to hope to see us in a matchup with Navy isn't one of them.

Rick

• Upvote 3

I think we will find that the bowl tie-ins are more of a guideline than a mandate.  Especially when the same company owns all the bowls.  You can rest assured that there is language in those contracts that allow ESPN to create the matchups they want.  Always remember the golden rule.  He who has the gold makes the rules.

I am sure we will probably get stuck with the other brainiac schools like Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford, etc...    :pow:

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Phew, there's one bullet dodged. Now keep us from Hawaii and I'm good anywhere else!

We won't get Hawaii more than likely. They have to fill conference games with bowl eligible teams before going to alternates such as UNT. Look for MTSU to go there, as they don't have many good geographic options. Hence why they got stuck with Bahamas last year.