Thoughts on UTSA and looking ahead...

SSP

13 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

i don't see us winning anymore games this year, just hope we can avoid any serious blowouts.  I knew the second half would be tough for us but we have done better this year than i thought.  We are now playing for next year.

Unfortunately for the Seniors that have invested 4,5 and even 6 years into UNT football... They don't have that luxury.

I agree that that is a realistic outlook... But, so is winning 2 more games and a bowl berth.  

I guess we will see.  

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Losing to UTSA wasn't even included in my worst case scenario. They are the only team we beat last season.

This is the only game on our schedule that would throw me into a hobo fit if we lost. After Mac's second loss to UTSA I was calling for him to be fired. I will never give any coach or player a pass for losing against UTSA. I don't usually get irate over a loss, but this is different.

Both Littrell and Wilson walked into difficult situations. We were embarrassed last night. And, to be totally honest I will get irate every time we loss to them. I will never accept it. I would hope most on here would feel the same way.

I would hope that every loss generates an emotional response.  If a program doesn't expect to win... chances are, they won't.

This is not even close to the same team or program as last year so the comparison is stretching it.

Theyve been humbled.  Now we wait and see what they do with it.

Edited by SSP

My thoughts:

First, most fans seem to always after a loss blame their team's effort and opine that their team beat themselves with little credit given to the winner.  UTSA was the better team for 3 quarters came out with a better game plan and executed it very well.  Those four turnovers by NT just like the 7 by Army were largely due to the play of the defense.  

The best thing I can said about NT was that they certainly didn't give up.

The offensive line was back to being basically dominated.   Yes, UTSA was playing to stop the run, but NT did not block well on ether run or pass plays. 

The Alamo Dome gives UTSA a big home field advantage, I can't imagine the noise if they came remotely close to filling it.  

NT cheerleaders work very hard.

I think NT got significantly out-coached.  

The defense played much better than the offense, but again gave up too many long plays.

Fine was both the goat and star of the game for NT.   He made plenty of freshman mistakes and was definitely a liability in much of the game.   However, he also was the only offense NT could muster and showed glimpses of greatness particularly in the last quarter.   Knew he was fast for a QB, but not that fast.  He is going to be fun to watch and with a little more development should be the next great NT QB. 

Funny and somewhat sad that UTSA who had those massive by CUSA standards crowds is now suffering the same attendance woes as most of the league despite being the only team in a huge area and a lot of community backing that NT currently only dreams of.   

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, SSP said:

I would hope that every loss generates an emotional response.  If a program doesn't expect to win... chances are, they won't.

This is not even close to the same team or program as last year so the comparison is stretching it.

Theyve been humbled.  Now we wait and see what they do with it.

No. Unfortunately, they really get to be humbled this Saturday on Homecoming. #thanksRV 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts:

First, most fans seem to always after a loss blame their team's effort and opine that their team beat themselves with little credit given to the winner.  UTSA was the better team for 3 quarters came out with a better game plan and executed it very well.  Those four turnovers by NT just like the 7 by Army were largely due to the play of the defense.  

The offensive line was back to being basically dominated.   Yes, UTSA was playing to stop the run, but NT did not block well on ether run or pass plays. 

The Alamo Dome gives UTSA a big home field advantage, I can't imagine the noise if they came remotely close to filling it.  

The defense played much better than the offense, but again gave up too many long plays.

Fine was both the goat and star of the game for NT.   He made plenty of freshman mistakes and was definitely a liability in much of the game.   However, he also was the only offense NT could muster and showed glimpses of greatness particularly in the last quarter.   Knew he was fast for a QB, but not that fast.  He is going to be fun to watch and with a little more development should be the next great NT QB. 

Funny and somewhat sad that UTSA who had those massive by CUSA standards crowds is now suffering the same attendance woes as most of the league despite being the only team in a huge area and a lot of community backing that NT currently only dreams of.   

This has been a theme for the season. If one or both of our co-DC's get plucked away from Littrell it COULD get ugly the next few seasons. The offense isn't progressing. At times it actually looks like it is regressing. No one wants to be critical of anything around here, but critics manifest expectations. Loathers create #RV. 

*I think the loss vs nutsack stings worse because of what we have coming up on the docket. It has nothing to do with utsa, but everything to do with our upcoming opponents. If we win the Homecoming game I will be shocked and I will have 2 feet firmly planted in the Littrell bus. Right now, I am cautiously straddling. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts:

Because people don't want to associate with losers. Whether your UNT with a long history or UTSA with a short, you gotta win to put butts in seats. Period.

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This has been a theme for the season. If one or both of our co-DC's get plucked away from Littrell it COULD get ugly the next few seasons. The offense isn't progressing. At times it actually looks like it is regressing. No one wants to be critical of anything around here, but critics manifest expectations. Loathers create #RV. 

*I think the loss vs nutsack stings worse because of what we have coming up on the docket. It has nothing to do with utsa, but everything to do with our upcoming opponents. If we win the Homecoming game I will be shocked and I will have 2 feet firmly planted in the Littrell bus. Right now, I am cautiously straddling. 

Come on Ben, give him a break. It's a new scheme with players not suited to it. G5 is largely about QB play and you have a true freshman with a suspect o-line that can't protect him and run in the red zone. That is your team. QB and red zone running.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Because people don't want to associate with losers. Whether your UNT with a long history or UTSA with a short, you gotta win to put butts in seats. Period.

Come on Ben, give him a break. It's a new scheme with players not suited to it. G5 is largely about QB play and you have a true freshman with a suspect o-line that can't protect him and run in the red zone. That is your team. QB and red zone running.

Enough UNT fans give the coaching staffs of our athletic teams breaks. I'll pass on the break giving. 

12 inches to goal...take the ball 12 feet away from those precious 12 inches. There is no break for that. Ever. Fine could have literally dove under the centers legs for a TD, but that would have called for that evil unforbidden under center formation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I hate to make this all about the QB.... But it kind of is.  We have a true freshman running the show and it shows.  He's a good one, I think... But he's not playing particularly well consistently enough.  As the QB goes, so goes the entire offense.  We have experienced players making freshman mistakes all over the field.

This is what a building year looks like, folks.  Flashes of great and moments of face palm all mixed in from game to game.  The positive is that we are doing this with a roster that we all thought was largely devoid of talent after last year's giant give up.   The future is definitely bright and I'm all in with this team and coaching staff.

• Upvote 4

In undergrad, our rivals beat us eight times in the four years I was there in basketball.  I don't think we beat them for a few more years.  But the tides turned one day, and we've been mopping the floor with them for years now.  

So will be the case with UNT and UTSA eventually.  

When it does happen, I'm gonna find Correcamino's home address and plant about seven hundred Mean Green lawn signs in his yard, or staple them to the walls of his parents' basement, as the case may be. And I'm going to really enjoy it. 

The only regret is that I wish our current seniors had enjoyed a little more success than 1-3 against them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

I hate to make this all about the QB.... But it kind of is.  We have a true freshman running the show and it shows.  He's a good one, I think... But he's not playing particularly well consistently enough.  As the QB goes, so goes the entire offense.  We have experienced players making freshman mistakes all over the field.

This is what a building year looks like, folks.  Flashes of great and moments of face palm all mixed in from game to game.  The positive is that we are doing this with a roster that we all thought was largely devoid of talent after last year's giant give up.   The future is definitely bright and I'm all in with this team and coaching staff.

Not sure we'd even have 4 wins without the true freshman Mason Fine.  The W/L this season could have very well equalled last year's but now it won't.  I think Seth Littrell might even agree.

We've had a taste of winning no matter our opponents thus far & it has felt good, but TIgreen01 you are right because--this "IS" what a rebuilding year looks like.

Look forward to seeing SL have a full recruiting year because me'thinks he & staff are going to be good at it.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2