SMU is beating Houston. What a day!?!

UNT 90 Grad

8 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I feel like if SMU can beat Houston we can too.

The team that played OU would be hard to beat. The team that Houston brought to the last 4 games? Mean Green would run ripshod all over them.

No question whatsoever... SMOO was waiting. They prepared. Maybe we did, but we sure didn't execute. I never thought we should be ranked at 6 when we were, but losing to the Ponies... Ugh.

• Upvote 3

I don't think this is about Houston mailing it in or the B12 decision etc.  They've been average the last 3 weeks.  Lost to Navy, Tulsa hung with them and they got drilled by SMU.  Maybe they were just overrated to begin with but I will give where credit is due it's a really good win for the SMU program and Morris.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is NEVER A GOOD DAY WHEN SMU WINS period. I was hoping before Navy that U of H could make a statement for the G 5 .  This Big 12-2 decision not to expand just proves once more that it is not as much about wins and losses as it is about politics and $$$$ as to who goes to P5. That being said never count SMU out as they HAVE $$$$$$ to burn and much political influence. Every time you endorse their program you put them that much closer to their P5 goal. ANY SMU win is never good news to UNT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I went to the SMU game as a guest of an UH alum. My buddy said he has watched every SMU game this season, and even though they were missing several key starters, that are out for the year, SMU was getting a little better every week. This was my first chance to see them since the UNT game, he was correct. SMU's defense was MUCH better than the UNT game, and many of those Chad Morris recruits are now playing. I bought a program, and it seemed like 90% of their production was from freshman or sophomores. I thought they looked much better, than back when we played them, gotta give credit when it's due.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Green Mean said:

I don't think this is about Houston mailing it in or the B12 decision etc.  They've been average the last 3 weeks.  Lost to Navy, Tulsa hung with them and they got drilled by SMU.  Maybe they were just overrated to begin with but I will give where credit is due it's a really good win for the SMU program and Morris.  

I think we were somewhat overrated to begin with, yes. But facts are facts.... this is not the same Cougar team that beat OU. Something happened in the middle of the season. We were chatting with some guys in front of us... we're not convincedthat Ward isn't hurt and either he or the staff is keeping that under wraps.  One guy said Ward didn't throw for a TD against Tulsa (although I have admittedly not gone back to fact-check that) and he damn sure didn't scramble at SMOO like he has in the past. It isn't just Ward, either... several things are way off. I hope we can shake whatever it is and have some nice wins for the rest of the season. But Louisville... they have to get ready. Very ready. The team that was on the field for these last 3 games is going to have a very ugly night against Louisville.

We were probably due for a loss like this. I just wish it hadn't been to friggin' SMOO. Sigh.

21 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

If you stop Ward running wild, you stop Houston. Herman has been riding on the back of his athleticism for over a year. Without his legs, Houston is very meh. smug eliminated that aspect of his game. Won going away. F both the schools though. 

Postma has been really good the last two yrs.. He beat Memphis last yr.. Houston is loaded with talent, they just have a veeeery delicate psyche and struggle with adversity.  Been that way for years.  

1 hour ago, RushnStudies said:

I think we were somewhat overrated to begin with, yes. But facts are facts.... this is not the same Cougar team that beat OU. Something happened in the middle of the season. We were chatting with some guys in front of us... we're not convincedthat Ward isn't hurt and either he or the staff is keeping that under wraps.  One guy said Ward didn't throw for a TD against Tulsa (although I have admittedly not gone back to fact-check that) and he damn sure didn't scramble at SMOO like he has in the past. It isn't just Ward, either... several things are way off. I hope we can shake whatever it is and have some nice wins for the rest of the season. But Louisville... they have to get ready. Very ready. The team that was on the field for these last 3 games is going to have a very ugly night against Louisville.

We were probably due for a loss like this. I just wish it hadn't been to friggin' SMOO. Sigh.

I wonder if the loss to Navy to the wind out of the sails of the players... it's tough to get back up for the season once you feel you might have blown your chance at the playoff

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

I wonder if the loss to Navy to the wind out of the sails of the players... it's tough to get back up for the season once you feel you might have blown your chance at the playoff

Job of coaches and upperclassmen to keep the locker room from falling apart.  Herman's value goes down if they keep duckfarting the season away.

3 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Postma has been really good the last two yrs.. He beat Memphis last yr.. Houston is loaded with talent, they just have a veeeery delicate psyche and struggle with adversity.  Been that way for years.  

I definitely agree with you about Postma and about being loaded with talent. The rest, maybe. The fanbase has its issues at times, but I don't know how well that does or doesn't translate to the team. One thing we're all sick of is being a stepping-stone school for head coaches. I believe we have probably made improvements in retention efforts, but if a guy's gonna leave, he's gonna leave. Just irritating.

6 minutes ago, RushnStudies said:

I definitely agree with you about Postma and about being loaded with talent. The rest, maybe. The fanbase has its issues at times, but I don't know how well that does or doesn't translate to the team. One thing we're all sick of is being a stepping-stone school for head coaches. I believe we have probably made improvements in retention efforts, but if a guy's gonna leave, he's gonna leave. Just irritating.

I grew up a Coog.  My pops was on the 76-79 teams so I feel your pain.  Just part of it though...getting in a much better position to retain and what's been so encouraging is the ability to reload the coaching positions - says a lot about leadership.  Eat em up! 

• Upvote 1