One improvement I would like to see on defense

Harry

There seemed to be a lot of MUTS offensive conversions on defensive interference penalties the other night.  I get it, if a guy is wide open you can't give up the touchdown or big gainers.  There just seemed to be some ticky tack touches that led to defensive penalties at critical times. 

I want to emphasize this is a minor point, I have been very pleased with the defensive play thus far this season.

11 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

A pass rush would be nice and would probably help with your complaint. 

I think the pass rush was pretty good especially when you look at how many times Stock had to throw or run it out of bounds. D line play to me has been a plus!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

There seemed to be a lot of MUTS offensive conversions on defensive interference penalties the other night.  I get it, if a guy is wide open you can't give up the touchdown or big gainers.  There just seemed to be some ticky tack touches that led to defensive penalties at critical times. 

I want to emphasize this is a minor point, I have been very pleased with the defensive play thus far this season.

Man those were total BS.  Their receiver was hand fighting just as much as the DB. Refs blew too many calls. 

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

I'd like to see a blitz dialed up BEFORE they reach the redzone

Then be prepared to watch them score a TD as they run through the red zone if one guy misses a tackle.  I believe that's why we've seen less blitzing.  We've given up substantially fewer big plays, guys are fitting up in gaps more often, and plays are taking longer to develop all benefits to the defense. 

• Upvote 3

I thought several of the calls were iffy on the Defense, how many third down were converted by the MUTs do to defensive penalty? Can an offensive lineman be an illegal man down field on a two point conversion that starts at what the 3? Did the refs really screw that one? 

9 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I thought several of the calls were iffy on the Defense, how many third down were converted by the MUTs do to defensive penalty? Can an offensive lineman be an illegal man down field on a two point conversion that starts at what the 3? Did the refs really screw that one? 

I remember 3 at least. And yes if he makes it into the end zone he's down field I believe the rule allows 2 yards. 

• Upvote 1

Can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd quarter, but there was one drive where we got called for PI on MTSU followed by a very blatant (IMO) offensive PI that went uncalled.

Agreed, several of the penalties were highly questionable, but it's all part of the game because that's the way football go.

• Upvote 2

I've always been unclear on the definition of pass interference, so I looked it up:

Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

ARTICLE 8. A. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, successful defense of the pass by any North Texas player is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or official (A.R. 7-3-8-II)

b.  Offensive pass interference by a North Texas player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is any North Texas player successfully catching the pass or interfering with the opposing defensive player intercepting the ball.

c. Defensive pass interference is successful defense by any North Texas player whose intent is obviously to defend the play and prohibit the other team from scoring. When in question, any pass thrown while North Texas is on defense is catchable.  Vicinity to players, the field, the interior of the stadium, city limits, county boundaries, state lines, and international borders are irrelevant while North Texas is on defense.  The ball is catchable, and should the offensive player fail to complete the pass, North Texas shall receive a defensive pass interference penalty of 15 yards even if North Texas isn't playing in that particular game.

Source:  NCAA Football 2015 Rules and Interpretations, Copyright May 2015, ISSN: 0736-5144

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 5

10 hours ago, gangrene said:

Can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd quarter, but there was one drive where we got called for PI on MTSU followed by a very blatant (IMO) offensive PI that went uncalled.

Agreed, several of the penalties were highly questionable, but it's all part of the game because that's the way football go.

My favorite was the one called on a fade route in the end zone where the ball landed about 5-yds out of bounds.  Of course, it was yet another 3rd down conversion.
1 or 2 plays later, the SAME EXACT THING happened again (same receiver, same corner of the same end zone), and there was no call.  They scored on that drive anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I've always been unclear on the definition of pass interference, so I looked it up:

Illegal Contact and Pass Interference

ARTICLE 8. A. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, successful defense of the pass by any North Texas player is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or official (A.R. 7-3-8-II)

b.  Offensive pass interference by a North Texas player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is any North Texas player successfully catching the pass or interfering with the opposing defensive player intercepting the ball.

c. Defensive pass interference is successful defense by any North Texas player whose intent is obviously to defend the play and prohibit the other team from scoring. When in question, any pass thrown while North Texas is on defense is catchable.  Vicinity to players, the field, the interior of the stadium, city limits, county boundaries, state lines, and international borders are irrelevant while North Texas is on defense.  The ball is catchable, and should the offensive player fail to complete the pass, North Texas shall receive a defensive pass interference penalty of 15 yards even if North Texas isn't playing in that particular game.

Source:  NCAA Football 2015 Rules and Interpretations, Copyright May 2015, ISSN: 0736-5144

Very nice, did you find this in the ref's locker room from last Saturday? 

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My favorite was the one called on a fade route in the end zone where the ball landed about 5-yds out of bounds.  Of course, it was yet another 3rd down conversion.
1 or 2 plays later, the SAME EXACT THING happened again (same receiver, same corner of the same end zone), and there was no call.  They scored on that drive anyway.

I remember that one too.  That was the definition of an un-catchable pass.

On 10/4/2016 at 7:52 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

This was terribly frustrating.  

I would also like to see the Illegal Man Downfield called on the 2-pt. conversion.  I saw one replay and don't believe Murray was anywhere downfield.

There were a couple of calls on Woodsworth.  One block in the back call was ridiculous.  On the replay it shows Elex engaged with the DL.  As Fine scrambles to his left, the DL turns his back to Elex who was still engaged blocking him.  Just a bad call.