This is where our expectations should be tempered

MGNation92

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Watched the live stream for most of the game. We didn't play as well as we could. We also could've played worse. Here's why:

1. First year in the system, first year OC in Harrell. Let's be honest we expect execution but he ain't exactly putting out the best play calls

2. Patchwork O-line designed for power run game. Let's face it this o-line could be better. But again. First year in an EXACT OPPOSITE system. These guys werent recruited for a Air Raid system.

3. Freshman QB. Yes Fine lit it up in high school, but he's still adjusting to the speed of the game and the complexity of the defenses he sees. Give him time. He has the tools. He will be good

4. We lost to a better team. Regardless of circumstances. MTSU is in line to win the conference. They may very well win out the rest of the way and I wouldn't be surprised.

5. 3-4 wins will be a VAST improvement over last year, and let's face it, this team has been competitive in every game they've played and will continue to improve. 

Could we have won? Yes. Am I disappointed? Yes. Will we play better? Yes.

Y'all need to temper your expectations. Littrell will right this ship. I am enjoying the development of so many talented young players and excited for the future of UNT football. It'll be okay.

Chill.

Well said.

Similar here.

Was I disappointed? Slightly, but not overly.

Was the offense as good as it should have been? No

Was that the fault of the QB? No. The true frosh produced a 60% completeion rate and no INTss. Also no super big plays, but things just couldn't develop as fast as the pocket kept collapsing.

Could offensive play calling be better? Yes

Was I even more impressed with the Defense than before? Absolutely. They played one of the better CUSA offenses, and considering how much time they were put out there, they did really well.

Could the D be even better than that? Absolutely. Just cleaning up unnecessary penalties would have gotten them off the field a few times. If they do that, they'll be scaring anyone in CUSA.

• Upvote 2

#22 and #28 SMOKED us.  

They collectively had 14 tackles and a sack last night.  They total 39 tackles together for the year.  Their DBs were bad ass. Their D line out talented and played our O line in every way.  I would imagine our RBs are sore as hell with the few touches they had. 

If we had figured out how to use the TEs more sooner it would have possibly been a closer game.

*Another thing we noticed...

MUTS took film seriously.  They knew the weak links in our chains on both sides of the ball and they knew who to double cover. They were better prepared and a more mature team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Watched the live stream for most of the game. We didn't play as well as we could. We also could've played worse. Here's why:

1. First year in the system, first year OC in Harrell. Let's be honest we expect execution but he ain't exactly putting out the best play calls

2. Patchwork O-line designed for power run game. Let's face it this o-line could be better. But again. First year in an EXACT OPPOSITE system. These guys werent recruited for a Air Raid system.

3. Freshman QB. Yes Fine lit it up in high school, but he's still adjusting to the speed of the game and the complexity of the defenses he sees. Give him time. He has the tools. He will be good

4. We lost to a better team. Regardless of circumstances. MTSU is in line to win the conference. They may very well win out the rest of the way and I wouldn't be surprised.

5. 3-4 wins will be a VAST improvement over last year, and let's face it, this team has been competitive in every game they've played and will continue to improve. 

Y'all need to temper your expectations. Littrell will right this ship. I am enjoying the development of so many talented young players and excited for the future of UNT football. It'll be okay.

Chill.

I think we all will go through a learning curve with these coaches. As stated by Seth get better every week! GMG 

14 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Chill.

Excllent post.

It's what a lot of have been trying to say. The whole season is not about wins and losses, but learning the system, implementing a new mindset, and, most importantly, improving recruitment. So far, that's what we have seen--we have two wins, which has already shown improvement on the wins and losses. But the recruiting looks improved so far. And the mindset is light years better. 

This was THE perfect season to play the tougher East CUSA teams. Next year, we are gonna be a better squad to handle all of our conference mates. 

• Upvote 2

I told myself that I'd be content with just 1 win during this homestand, but I still walked away disappointed. We had an opportunity to win. For the most part, our defense was solid. But like the SMU game, third down conversions for the other team were a bitch. I feel like there were a few bad calls and no-calls, but every fan at a live game probably feels that way. The flag on the two-point conversion really deflated me, although we could have scored on the possession before that, too. But MTSU's defense was incredible after the first drive, so I'm not embarrassed with this performance at all. However, I'm salty that the Blue Raiders scored on one play after our touchdown. Holding a conference favorite under 30 points would still be a good feat.

The attendance should have been better, and it seemed like the crowd wasn't as energetic as the two prior home games. Unfortunately the number will probably be lower against Marshall, too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Faster and stronger yes... NOT bigger at all.

Rick

Better prepared and fast defensively, but certainly not bigger as you say. Our OC needs to step up to the plate and make the necessary adjustments IMO if we're going to avoid letting CUSA defenses run all over us down the road. The film from this game will kill us otherwise.

We have to get enough wins to keep the team from giving up or from having the coaches spend too much time battling that factor and only concentrate on improving.  We're in the middle of a pretty tough 3 game stretch and we need the team to continue improving and not get too dejected even if we go 0-3 in that time.