SMU's Matt Davis is one of nation's most underrated quarterbacks

Harry

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

True.  Dad was from Anadarko, played QB and pitched in high school.  Pitched at SWOSU in college.  Dane was born in Chickasha while his dad was in grad school at OKC U.  Dad coached in Oklahoma after that before eventually moving to Texas.

Dane was recruited by Tulsa when Blankenship was still the coach.  It's likely that his dad had a connection to Coach Blankenship from when they were both Okie high school coaches.

---

LONG END NOTE:  Again...this whole thing about "Texas kids" being loyal to Texas is stupid because half or more of them are not "Texas kids."  As written dozens of times, as of the 1990 census, the majority of people living in Collin County were not native Texans.  I'm sure it's even more now, and likely the same all over Texas' metropolitan areas.

Kids are normally going to be loyal to where their family ties are.  So, it's just headshaking that people still go down the path of, "He's from a Texas high school, he must be Texan, so we missed out on him."  We didn't miss out on Dane Evans - he was never coming here in the first place.  

Also, as written dozens of times, the whole "Texas talent" thing is way overblown.  There has only been one football national champion from Teas since 1970:  the Longhorns' 2005 squad.

Yes, only one.  All of that Texas talent.  But, you look at Florida, and it's Miami, Florida State, and Florida each piling up multiple national championships in the same time period.  And, when you spread it to the Southeast, you add in even more national titles with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, LSU, Clemson....

The best talent is in Florida and all over the South and Southeast.  The championships bear that out.

The only other school that relies heavily on Texas talent and has won a national title since 1970 is Oklahoma, having won titles in 1973, 1974, 1985, and 2000. 

But, even looking at Oklahoma, their reliance of "Texas talent" has only brought them one national title in the past 30 years.

It's why SMU Jesus will fail as well - he doggedly determine to only recruit Texas players.  Sounds a hell of a lot like our Todd Dodge. 

What you need is the best players that will come to your school - from Texas or not from Texas.  But, please, drop once and for all, the notion that just because a kid went to a Texas high school that he was born and raised in Texas by folks who probably went to a Texas college.  That's just not the case; and, it is demonstrably not the case.

I would ask that you look at all the D1, and lower levels as well, and see how many kids are on the rosters are from Texas.  I would bet that Texas puts more HS players on College football rosters than any other state....That being said, we could certainly do a better job of convincing the premium players to stay in the state....

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Remember when we had delusions of grandeur that we actually stood a chance in that game going into it?

had we had any semblance of a passing game, i still contend that we do have a chance... if you remember, we all really thought that Greer was going to be able to improve our team's performance

• Upvote 1

This is sensationalist reporting. Imagine that in America...

I don't have ill will towards the kid, and I only saw him in the season opener against us, but I can't believe he made up that much ground!

However come September 3rd, like Paul Blake, I hope he enjoys his view from the bench!

22 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I would ask that you look at all the D1, and lower levels as well, and see how many kids are on the rosters are from Texas.  I would bet that Texas puts more HS players on College football rosters than any other state....That being said, we could certainly do a better job of convincing the premium players to stay in the state....

I'm not saying Texas players aren't on rosters - in fact, that is partially what I am saying:  Kids do regularly leave Texas to play for schools in other state because the majority of their family ties are in other states.  Dane Evans is simply another in a long line going back decades.

The other point is obvious: although there is a bunch of talk from coaches like SMU Jesus about being "Texas Tough" and "We Only Recruit Texas Kids," when you look at the success of that mindset, you come up with one lone championship in 2005 since 1970...

...(unless, of course, you swallow your pride and admit that Oklahoma has done it four times times in the same time period...but only once in the last 30 years!)

Yes, Texas has talent, but Florida has much more, and the Southeast in general.  Florida, SEC, and ACC schools have amassed more national titles than Texas/Cali-heavy schools combined.  

By the way, California is the same as Texas - a lot of talent, but only one school with national titles since 1970:  USC.  And, many Cali kids easily leave the state.  And, here again, the dreaded and despised Okie Sooners pull a good bit of their talent from there.  The kid who broke the girls' face, yet is still on the roster, is a Cali kid. 

---

What I want is this:  the best players at UNT from wherever.  We didn't run off players like Patrick Cobbs (OK), Kevin Galbreath (OK),Michael Pruitt (OK), Jeremy Knott (OK), Shavod Atkinson (OK), Jeremy Pearl (MO), Shawn Early (FL), Chris Bynes (FL), Darrell Daniels (KS), T.J. Covington (KS), Adam Venegas (KS), Sky Pruitt (ID), Andrew Power (SC), Steven Ford (SC), KC Obi (CA), Jamize Olawale (CA), Michael Outlaw (MS), Forlando Johnson (GA).

We will always have a majority of our players from Texas.  But, just because a kid is from Texas, doesn't mean he is loyal to Texas...or, that we should pursue him over a better player from another state that is showing interest in us:  the best available from wherever.  I think having Seth Littrell on board does just that.