MGB: Day 1 practice report (clarification on English situation)

Brett Vito

Brett's comment about O'Hara 'looking the part' sounds like McCarney style QB evaluation.  I really hope O'Hara can become a viable backup and can challenge Shanbour for the #2 spot because it will mean we have more options if Morris goes down, but I was not impress with the video (admittedly limited amount) that I watched.

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Brett's comment about O'Hara 'looking the part' sounds like McCarney style QB evaluation.  I really hope O'Hara can become a viable backup and can challenge Shanbour for the #2 spot because it will mean we have more options if Morris goes down, but I was not impress with the video (admittedly limited amount) that I watched.

But, but, but, McCarney has skins on the wall. He must be knowledgable about QB recruitment and development.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

But, but, but, McCarney has skins on the wall. He must be knowledgable about QB recruitment and development.

Did you see his ring?!  And to question his evaluation talents.

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I really don't think there is a "Shanbour should start over Morris" movement, so that's a strawman argument.  I think there IS a "why the hell didn't Mac/Chico give him a shot with what we rolled out last year?" movement.   But that is in the past, I don't know if anyone actually expects Shanbour to start...

Except Silver, Shanbour may be his love child.  

This.  I honestly have not seen Morris or Shanbour in live action, but I don't want us to discount someone because he isn't 6'3".  Talent wins at this level.  Morris will and probably should start, but if Shanbour is the back-up, then so be it.

Edited by UNTLifer

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I hope Shanbour can step up only because I would like Ohara redshirted to give him two additional years

5 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

We got Chumley because we were going to give him a chance at QB. He likely wouldn't have come here as a TE. He got his chance with two different staffs and now makes the move. I think he got a fair shake and we held up our end of the agreement.

wouldn't be hilarious if it turns out that Chumley has hands of stone?

As for Vito-Shanbour, maybe Vito is just trying to pick on someone (closer to) his own size.......

Well, at least he's mentioning him by name now.......that's progress.

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I really don't think there is a "Shanbour should start over Morris" movement, so that's a strawman argument.  I think there IS a "why the hell didn't Mac/Chico give him a shot with what we rolled out last year?" movement.   But that is in the past, I don't know if anyone actually expects Shanbour to start...

All I've ever said is that he deserves an even chance. Being 2nd team at the end of spring training pretty much satisfies that expectation. The rest is up to him.

BUT you have to admit that when the new coaching staff came in and sent/encouraged Greer and Smith to move on and "evaluated" Shanbour as being second team, both before and at the end of spring, that ol'Silver kinda new what he was talking about. From the very beginning, I was looking at QB skills, and someone else was just looking at "vertical skills". 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

All I've ever said is that he deserves an even chance. Being 2nd team at the end of spring training pretty much satisfies that expectation. The rest is up to him.

BUT you have to admit that when the new coaching staff came in and sent/encouraged Greer and Smith to move on and "evaluated" Shanbour as being second team, both before and at the end of spring, that ol'Silver kinda new what he was talking about. From the very beginning, I was looking at QB skills, and someone else was just looking at "vertical skills". 

Shanbour was 2nd team because he was ahead of a TE/WR: Chumley, and Connor Means (who was behind the TE/WR).  That's almost like saying I finished 2nd in a foot race with Usain Bolt and 2 quadriplegics.  It's pretty much a forgone conclusion.

DaMarcus' leaving had nothing to do with his "QB Skills" and more to do with his "Louisville Party Organizing Skills" and lack of buy-in.  I think it's laughable if anyone 'evaluates' Shanbour's "QB Skills" ahead of Smith. 
As for Greer...  I'm thinking we would have a better shot if Jordan Murray moved back there to take snaps, so you're not really breaking any ground there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Shanbour was 2nd team because he was ahead of a TE/WR: Chumley, and Connor Means (who was behind the TE/WR).  That's almost like saying I finished 2nd in a foot race with Usain Bolt and 2 quadriplegics.  It's pretty much a forgone conclusion.

I think Silver's point is that this should have been a foregone conclusion long ago.  Coach Mac sure didn't have Shanbour ahead of all those QBs.

• Upvote 1

On August 9, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Cerebus said:

Not quite.

I think you will see the #2 QB at some point this season. Let's just say I'm not confident in the OL to protect the QB. 

So, that means if Shanbour wins the #2 spot, I expect him to start at least one game.