Denton loses another music landmark

J&J's dirty old basement is closing so the owner of the building (not J&J's) can rent it out to someone else as a separate business.

Denton has lost Hailey's, RGRS, and J&J's basement over the past two years.

Rents around downtown are expensive, not a lot of new venues opening...music scene in Denton takes another big hit.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Love all the people on social media complaining about this. This is what progress looks like. Music venues will resurface in areas around the square. That is far too valuable of a spot for (at times) questionable musicians to play for free to Schlitz drinking co-eds. Now if something happened to J&Js I'd be up in arms.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I thought Denton shut down the very concept of live music back when the Argo closed down? 

Did that not kill the music scene after all? 

John Cale shut down the Argo, for those that were there then. Dark day. Freaking hilarious.  But dark. 

It's funny. 

J&J's basement had shows back in the mid/late 90's, back when it was Mr. Gatti's basement.

I recorded a couple of shows on 8mm videotape in those days.  Jeff Sillie's group-o-the-week, and whoever else--and then the basement was closed and not used for more than a couple years IIRC, because of fire code concerns.  Nobody really cared then. 

I guess now it has more history. 

59 minutes ago, LongJim said:

It's funny. 

J&J's basement had shows back in the mid/late 90's, back when it was Mr. Gatti's basement.

I recorded a couple of shows on 8mm videotape in those days.  Jeff Sillie's group-o-the-week, and whoever else--and then the basement was closed and not used for more than a couple years IIRC, because of fire code concerns.  Nobody really cared then. 

I guess now it has more history. 

I'd contribute to a gofundme to get those 8mm shots of yours digitized and up on the interwebz

18 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'd contribute to a gofundme to get those 8mm shots of yours digitized and up on the interwebz

Oh, I ran them to DVD several years ago.  I've got one from the old record store on Fry/Oak street too, I think.  What was the name of that place?  I think REO Speedealer is on that one.  And Hagfish from Rick's place.  And the Reds opening for Boris the Sprinkler (and the Boris show) at RGRS when it was still the garage only.  Can't remember all the details off the top, but they're all on DVD.

17 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Rubber Gloves closing is a moment for remorse, reflection and drinking a beer from a 32oz plastic cup.

J&Js basement closing is beyond meh and to be lumped in with Rubber Gloves is Denton-sacrilege 

See, I loved the Argo, and I later saw two shows at Rubber Gloves before writing it off as a "meh" and never going back. 

I think the lesson here is that things were awesome when I was younger, anything before then was irrelevant or absurd, and everything that's come after is relatively stupid and/or insignificant. 

I don't remember the Argo, and I am very close to the same age as Tasty and CBL...probably older.

my first Denton musical love was the original Dans Bar, next to Sweetwater. This would eventually close down and re-open around the corner [and be even better, IMO] as Silverleaf.

I did not become familiar with J&Js until after I graduated.

9 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

See, I loved the Argo, and I later saw two shows at Rubber Gloves before writing it off as a "meh" and never going back. 

I think the lesson here is that things were awesome when I was younger, anything before then was irrelevant or absurd, and everything that's come after is relatively stupid and/or insignificant. 

I'd gas a hooker gone to the convent for a slice from the Pizza Inn Nazi right about now.

• Upvote 2