Ohio State
Arizona State
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Washington State
Michigan State
Boise State
Fresno State

I mean, ya know.  "State" schools can have some gridiron success.  Our best gridiron successes were under the NTSU name.  Check the all-time record of NTSU versus UNT.

It's not our fault that Texas is so big we went with North Texas back in the day. 

Go tell Mean Joe that the name NTSU is third-rate directional.  J.T. Smith. 

None of those have the direction in front of them, or are you just willingly being difficult?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

None of those have the direction in front of them, or are you just willingly being difficult?

North Carolina State
North Carolina
South Carolina
South Florida
Southern Miss
Southern Cal
East Carolina
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
West Virginia
Central Florida
Central Michigan
Western Michigan

I mean...where does it end?  We can't be directional.  We can't be "State."

As North Texas State/NTSU, we had our finest years of football, turning out more NFL talent than anything under the University of North Texas/UNT moniker.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

While we're at it, let's just go back to the good old days of Texas Normal College.

Because current students remember, pay attention to, and care about that kind of thing.

It encompasses the whole state, and it let's people know, hey, we're cool, we're not crazy. We're normal, see?

Says so in the name.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

While we're at it, let's just go back to the good old days of Texas Normal College.

Because current students remember, pay attention to, and care about that kind of thing.

It encompasses the whole state, and it let's people know, hey, we're cool, we're not crazy. We're normal, see?

Says so in the name.

I'd rock that shirt. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Nah, cerebus just allowed a hoodie joke in the ban announcement thread. The mods might be lightening up...

I am in semi retirement.  TTG still might ban anyone, including me.  Run your own risks.  

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Which begs the question, how does that Ukraine thread keep going? Is it only American politics we Americans can't discuss?

I started that thread over two years ago.  For the last year or so it has been mostly (95%) me posting new articles with no one else responding.  Anyone posting anything inflammatory in that thread will get vacation time.  

54 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I am in semi retirement.  TTG still might ban anyone, including me.  Run your own risks.  

I started that thread over two years ago.  For the last year or so it has been mostly (95%) me posting new articles with no one else responding.  Anyone posting anything inflammatory in that thread will get vacation time.  

My "How To Stop A Massacre" thread was 4 years old.

By the way...avoid trains in Germany at this time.

Rick

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

North Carolina State
North Carolina
South Carolina
South Florida
Southern Miss
Southern Cal
East Carolina
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee State
West Virginia
Central Florida
Central Michigan
Western Michigan

I mean...where does it end?  We can't be directional.  We can't be "State."

As North Texas State/NTSU, we had our finest years of football, turning out more NFL talent than anything under the University of North Texas/UNT moniker.

No, there's nothing wrong with being directional. Which I said, and am suggesting you have trouble reading now. I said that both together, not so much.

Also, NCSU doesn't count because the state name is directional, it's a flagship "state" college.

We once had pride at this directional, state school, kiddo:
metapth164199_1983_Green_Brigade.jpg

I'm glad NTSU was relevant in the 70s for three years, with those crazy 10k crowds for the two games at Fouts and two games as Texas Stadium. My seventy year old grandfather who can't work a Windows 95 knows NTSU because that's "where Mean Joe got his name from, right?" /s

We're where we're at because of the flying worm/NTSU 70s era, but that's none of my business.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Son, we're where we're at because we didn't listen to the people who brought us success in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and yes, early 80s.

That's the 1983 band, which marched for the Southland Co-Champion NTSU Mean Green, 8-4, with two road losses to Oklahoma State coached by Jimmy Johnson (20-13) and Texas (26-6), who finished 11-1, and would have won the national title that year had they not slipped up in their bowl game against Georgia...a 10-9 loss in the Cotton Bowl.

The band used to be dressed to the nines, like other serious schools.  And, that 1983 team kicked ass, giving hell to a Jimmy Johnson coached squad and national title contender Texas.

This school, under the name NTSU/North Texas State University had a proud, tough, and recognized football program.  I can tell you that few would disagree to going to back to worm logo - if we could field a team worthy of it. 

Truth is, we haven't fielded teams worthy of the name NTSU or the worm logo.

There are those of us old enough to remember when this was a legitimate program.  Do not discount or downplay what this university had. 

Pray that by some miracle of the football gods, we can regain what NTSU's football squads had:  excellent, competitive squads who played toe-to-toe with football royalty and put some damn good player in the NFL with a good bit of regularity.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Son, we're where we're at because we didn't listen to the people who brought us success in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and yes, early 80s.

That's the 1983 band, which marched for the Southland Co-Champion NTSU Mean Green, 8-4, with two road losses to Oklahoma State coached by Jimmy Johnson (20-13) and Texas (26-6), who finished 11-1, and would have won the national title that year had they not slipped up in their bowl game against Georgia...a 10-9 loss in the Cotton Bowl.

The band used to be dressed to the nines, like other serious schools.  And, that 1983 team kicked ass, giving hell to a Jimmy Johnson coached squad and national title contender Texas.

This school, under the name NTSU/North Texas State University had a proud, tough, and recognized football program.  I can tell you that few would disagree to going to back to worm logo - if we could field a team worthy of it. 

There are those of us old enough to remember when this was a legitimate program.  Do not discount or downplay what this university had. 

Pray that by some miracle of the football gods, we can regain what NTSU's football squads had:  excellent, competitive squads who played toe-to-toe with football royalty and put some damn good player in the NFL with a good bit of regularity.

When you played two home games, calling it a legitimate program is a bit of a stretch. We've been ranked once and have three bowl victories. We've never been a legitimate program. Sorry.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

5 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Your best post this summer.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 7/19/2016 at 7:59 PM, Ryan Munthe said:

When you played two home games, calling it a legitimate program is a bit of a stretch. We've been ranked once and have three bowl victories. We've never been a legitimate program. Sorry.

Not in your lifetime, no.

However, those of us from Corky Nelson era and earlier decades saw it.  Corky's I-AA teams beat I-A schools OOC with more regularity than these days, so it's easy for you to think we've never been anything.

Unfortunately for you, history tells a different story.  This was a decent football school for decades, and it sent many excellent players to the NFL.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Not in your lifetime, no.

However, those of us from Corky Nelson era and earlier decades saw it.  Corky's I-AA teams beat I-A schools OOC with more regularity than these days, so it's easy for you to think we've never been anything.

Unfortunately for you, history tells a different story.  This was a decent football school for decades, and it sent many excellent players to the NFL.

I believe we were ranked in both '77 and '78, and we've got an overall winning record, so we have at least occasionally done a few things right over the past 100 years. Winning can happen here, and against all odds I'm betting that we see the beginnings of it this season.

• Upvote 1