MGB: UNT athletic director search update

Brett Vito

I wonder how many lettermen showed up for the meeting. 

Lets hope and pray this was just a cursory interview. No one involved in this mess should have any serious consideration for AD.

Want to see 150,000 people roll their eyes? Appoint Dickenson AD. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wouldn't panic over Hank getting an interview. I've experienced search firms interviewing internal candidates even when the Board of Directors have already quietly told the firm that no internal candidates will be accepted. It keeps things running smoothly until the successful candidate is announced. 

• Upvote 1

I would bet on due diligence here. Talking to an internal candidate can give you perspective on the program and its needs for discussions with other candidates. It also makes other internal people feel warm and fuzzy that the guy they know is "in the running" even if he has no shot to land the job.

• Upvote 2

Just got off the phone with a friend who does C level searches. She interviews internal candidates even when she was told only external candidates would be hired. 1. builds support in the organization for whomever is eventually hired based on a feeling of fairness, 2. sometimes identifies candidates the Board had not considered before and 3. lowers the likelihood of problems being caused by internal people feeling slighted. 

I also asked if that assures the unsuccessful internal candidate would be fired by eventual hire. She said statistically, no that wasn't the case. That depended on two things. First, the confidence level of the successful candidate. If they are secure in their own job, they usually want senior people with institutional memory around them. If they aren't confident, successful people, they tend to fire anyone who can do their job. And that, statistically, makes them more likely to fail in the long run. 

The second factor is the willingness of the unsuccessful candidate to accept the new leadership. But that's more on the unsuccessful candidate than the new incoming leader. 

• Upvote 3