Dave Campbell's "50": #18 Alec Morris

The 50 most important college players in Texas in 2016 — No. 18: UNT’s Alec Morris

No. 18 – UNT quarterback Alec Morris

The History

On paper, Alec Morris might be the most talented quarterback to roll through Denton in over a decade and he has yet to throw an official pass for the Mean Green. Morris is a grad transfer, meaning he can participate in the upcoming season without penalty because he finished his degree and is continuing his education at North Texas. He’s also there to help first-year head coach Seth Littrell win football games. It is the same reason Morris was signed by Alabama and head coach Nick Saban after high school. Morris was a top-flight recruit out of Allen High School. As a prep quarterback at the largest school in the state, Morris averaged 270.7 passing yards and 35 touchdowns as a senior. He passed for 2,534 yards and 22 touchdown passes as a junior in 2011.

His college career never got off the ground in Alabama. He was the program’s third-string quarterback in 2014 and 2015, seeing action in seven games over that span without earning a start. During his four seasons at Alabama, Morris did collect two national championship rings.

http://www.texasfootball.com/the-50-most-important-college-players-in-texas-in-2016-no-18-unts-alec-morris/

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

As a prep quarterback at the largest school in the state, Morris averaged 270.7 passing yards and 35 touchdowns as a senior.

Wow!!!!

There is absolutely no question that Morris should start, do you see what he averaged per game????!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, pastorgrant said:

Isn't he something like the 11th best player on our team according to Vito? Does that mean we have 10 players ranked #s 1-17?

Dave Campbell's isn't saying the 50 best, it is the 50 most important. Morris is far and away the more important single player on our roster. His play can make or break the season for us. I doubt we have any more players on the list.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Dave Campbell's isn't saying the 50 best, it is the 50 most important. Morris is far and away the more important single player on our roster. His play can make or break the season for us. I doubt we have any more players on the list.

Just give me above average C-USA qb play and we will win 5-6 games!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, forevereagle said:

We almost certainly won't. But still, isn't he the third Mean Green player on this list? Someone with green-tinted glasses could gain some encouragement from that, dont you think?

Just now, Tyler Maryak said:

We almost certainly won't. But still, isn't he the third Mean Green player on this list? Someone with green-tinted glasses could gain some encouragement from that, dont you think?

Not sure that it should other than they are actually talking about us.

Wouldn't the goal be to have no players on this list? That would mean that the team is so well rounded that a single player is not so important that he impacts the ability of the team over others. Not that this is how these lists work, but it seems that would be ideal, the whole team is good enough that it doesn't hing on a single player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Not sure that it should other than they are actually talking about us.

Wouldn't the goal be to have no players on this list? That would mean that the team is so well rounded that a single player is not so important that he impacts the ability of the team over others. Not that this is how these lists work, but it seems that would be ideal, the whole team is good enough that it doesn't hing on a single player.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Dave Campbell's isn't saying the 50 best, it is the 50 most important. Morris is far and away the more important single player on our roster. 

This.

And the fact that the singular player that means the absolute most to this program's success is ranked #18 on this list should tell everyone where this program registers in Texas college football at the moment...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

On 6/19/2016 at 8:29 AM, forevereagle said:

Well, if you want to bring logic into it...

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Not successful yet:  None of the Shanbour Faction have yet waded into the discussion. 

I'm kind of in the Shanbour camp just because I have seen him and not Morris.  I honestly could care less who starts, I just want the QB that can successfully run our offense, lead the team and make the defense respect the pass.  Wilson gained 800+ yards against defenses that were locked and loaded to stop him.  I can only imagine what he can produce against defenses that can't focus on him 99% of the time.  I just hate that  some people are dismissed because they are a walk-on.  Let the best player play.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm kind of in the Shanbour camp just because I have seen him and not Morris.  I honestly could care less who starts, I just want the QB that can successfully run our offense, lead the team and make the defense respect the pass.  Wilson gained 800+ yards against defenses that were locked and loaded to stop him.  I can only imagine what he can produce against defenses that can't focus on him 99% of the time.  I just hate that  some people are dismissed because they are a walk-on.  Let the best player play.

So where do you have your Shanbour Shrine @UNTLifer? I personally have my setup in my garage, the cavernous space really echo my praises

• Upvote 1