MGB: Key questions for a new AD -- 1. What about the current staff?

Brett Vito

25 minutes ago, ghost of smith hall said:

This was not a direct shot at you. It was in response to the number of threads I have read over the last couple of days stating that we need to hire UNT people to be in UNT jobs. Sorry you felt you were being singled out. My point is that if we are going to go big, as everyone on this board seems to think we can and must do, then it benefits us to look for the very best we can get, no matter that person's current or former affiliations.

K. And I agree with you that North Texas must look for the very best. I just don't think it should come from a conference foe alum and that's just my opinion. There is a conscious or subconscious level of loyalty to an alma mater and we don't need our AD from our conference for running our show. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

Yes - I see no reason to hold anyone here accountable for frequently saying dumb things or being generally misinformed. 

/scrolls up

Oh. 

//looks at self, realizes I post here

Double oh.

One fun side effect of the banner - a handful of you will never be taken seriously by anyone in the school for years - even with a house cleaning. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's not an easy label to shake and it's why a few people excited about a regime change are going to be bummed when some of this institutional knowledge is passed along by people not even in athletics. I've yet to see a college take its sports message board fans as a group seriously and don't think we're going to become an amazing test case ,but stranger things have happened.

I find it odd that anyone thinks it ok to openly belittle and be hostile to paying customers or would attempt to justify it any way. 

The department does not run well, change is needed. The labeling of people currently in the AD is a result of this. That open hostility in combination with poor performance is a sure fire way to get people to call for a deep cleaning of the offices on Bonnie Brea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

I find it odd that anyone thinks it ok to openly belittle and be hostile to paying customers or would attempt to justify it any way. 

It called "firing your customers." Do a Google search and you'll find articles from all the top management sources on the need to do it. The idea is some customers cost you more than they will ever return. Some take so much time and hand holding it takes away from other customers and is a net loss to your business. 

Here's a quote from the Sales Guru Tony Robbins website on the subject - 

From toxic employees to customers and clients, knowing when its time to end a relationship is a key lesson for anyone serious about creating lasting success.

Harvard Business Review has done multiple articles on the subject. Even at a lower level, I was at a sales training lecture through a group in the Ft Worth Chamber of Commerce that included "know when to fire your customer" as one of the five keys to sales success. 

It usually isn't overt. Just some customers aren't called anymore or their calls aren't returned. Their names "accidentally" drop off mailing lists. Frankly, I'd be surprised if any incoming AD does NOT do some of that. As UTSA and the other football startups have demonstrated, it's easier to create new fans than bring back ones who are mad. You just start over from scratch. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Quoner said:

Yes - I see no reason to hold anyone here accountable for frequently saying dumb things or being generally misinformed. 

/scrolls up

Oh. 

//looks at self, realizes I post here

Double oh.

One fun side effect of the airplane-delivered terrorist kite of hate speech - a handful of you will never be taken seriously by anyone in the school for years - even with a house cleaning. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's not an easy label to shake and it's why a few people excited about a regime change are going to be bummed when some of this institutional knowledge is passed along by people not even in athletics. I've yet to see a college take its sports message board fans as a group seriously and don't think we're going to become an amazing test case ,but stranger things have happened.

Aren't you a big proponent of "the sign behind the airplane didn't matter?" Can't have it both ways.

And who really cares if they take anyone who contributed or commented to the media seriously? No one that mattered took Villarreal seriously for the last several years. The bigger worry should be about ANY fans taking THEM seriously.

I ain't looking to be on a search committee, have my name announced and honored at the 50 yard line as some super fan (will never have the cash to make that happen, anyway), hobknob with the president of the university, or "be accepted" by some group of big donors.

I simply want to go watch winning football at an at least mostly full Apogee stadium and hang with the people I know and like at the tailgate. I want a terrible basketball coach not allowed to collect a paycheck for 4 years past his expiration date. They were doing nothing to remove an obstacle to that happening. Screw them if they don't like what happened. I really don't give a flying flip.

And while we are at it, please tell me exactly who "they" are?

EDIT: Cerebus, I can play this game all day long and most of the night. Lol.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

It called "firing your customers." Do a Google search and you'll find articles from all the top management sources on the need to do it. The idea is some customers cost you more than they will ever return. Some take so much time and hand holding it takes away from other customers and is a net loss to your business. 

Here's a quote from the Sales Guru Tony Robbins website on the subject - 

Harvard Business Review has done multiple articles on the subject. Even at a lower level, I was at a sales training lecture through a group in the Ft Worth Chamber of Commerce that included "know when to fire your customer" as one of the five keys to sales success. 

It usually isn't overt. Just some customers aren't called anymore or their calls aren't returned. Their names "accidentally" drop off mailing lists. Frankly, I'd be surprised if any incoming AD does NOT do some of that. As UTSA and the other football startups have demonstrated, it's easier to create new fans than bring back ones who are mad. You just start over from scratch. 

Judging from the attendance at MBB games we may have finally found something the AD is good at...

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Aren't you a big proponent of "the sign behind the airplane didn't matter?" Can't have it both ways.

And who really cares if they take anyone who contributed or commented to the media seriously? No one that mattered took Villarreal seriously for the last several years. The bigger worry should be about ANY fans taking THEM seriously.

I ain't looking to be on a search committee, have my name announced and honored at the 50 yard line as some super fan (will never have the cash to make that happen, anyway), hobknob with the president of the university, or "be accepted" by some group of big donors.

I simply want to go watch winning football at an at least mostly full Apogee stadium and hang with the people I know and like at the tailgate. I want a terrible basketball coach not allowed to collect a paycheck for 4 years past his expiration date. They were doing nothing to remove an obstacle to that happening. Screw them if they don't like what happened. I really don't give a flying flip.

And while we are at it, please tell me exactly who "they" are?

EDIT: Cerebus, I can play this game all day long and most of the night. Lol.

I argued it was a small drop in getting RV fired and was a misallocation of resources and effort. We've been over this a few times. It's over. It happened.

I am also excited to know you don't care about being taken seriously or defending your legacy anymore. That should unclog the board considerably now that RV is gone, right?

My hypothetical "they" that doesn't worry you is anyone associated in a formal or informal leadership position with the university, so as long as you're just worried about your buddies you can ease up on the posting, hang out with them at games and not worry too much about going tit for tat for me about this post. This all seems like it will be very easy for you to do, right? It's all over now. Please be real you again.

RE THE EDIT: We're all very aware.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On May 26, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Rid every alum in the athletic department that hails from a CUSA opponent. That should be for starters. I don't see how that shit is tolerated, particularly at the AD position. End it. 

I wouldn't go that far but definitely all the Southern Miss people at the 1st and 2nd Lieutenant level should be gone.  I don't have much sympathy either because at those levels you have to be forward thinking and realize the ship is sinking before the last of the life boat get untethered from the Titanic.  I have made that mistake myself and paid for it dearly.  The next concern is making sure that all remaining CUSA West Division alumni in the department have tangible evidence of high quality results here at UNT.   And just for the outside looking in and dealing with the ticket office I would estimate that evidence is relatively rare on average. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Quoner said:

I argued it was a small drop in getting RV fired and was a misallocation of resources and effort. We've been over this a few times. It's over. It happened.

I am also excited to know you don't care about being taken seriously or defending your legacy anymore. That should unclog the board considerably now that RV is gone, right?

My hypothetical "they" that doesn't worry you is anyone associated in a formal or informal leadership position with the university, so as long as you're just worried about your buddies you can ease up on the posting, hang out with them at games and not worry too much about going tit for tat for me about this post. This all seems like it will be very easy for you to do, right? It's all over now. Please be real you again.

RE THE EDIT: We're all very aware.

Meh, this is my outlet. Good to see an admission that the plane pulled sign may have actually mattered just a smidge. Maybe I was thinking of someone else. If so, my apologies: 

"They" were never going to take me seriously anyway because I don't give enough money to matter. They do have to take negative media reports seriously. This has all been hashed and rehashed a million times. 

Lets just all hope that a young, dynamic AD is hired that will fix the laziness and apathy in the AD and lead UNT to huge success in the sports that matter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4