WARNING: AVOID I-35W IN FORT WORTH

If your traveling to or from Denton from Fort Worth or from the south of Fort Worth I can't emphasize how much you need to avoid I-35W that runs  through the city...especially from downtown to north loop 820.

It's under major construction and during some hours it will be completely shut down.    Avoid it at all costs. Take loop 820 west around to Saginaw Main, or east around to Beach/377 or to 121 to 114, or even further east to I-35E thru Lewisville,..or go west loop 820 then way west on 20 to Weatherford and take the scenic route up 51 to Decatur and in from 380.  Just don't travel up I-35W for any reason....for the near future,...and probably for the next 4 years.

Most locals know this and know how to avoid it but there are thousands of out-of-towners every day who don't.   If you choose to travel this road and do battle with them be prepared.  Chances are you'll end up seeing  me...and it's not going to be a happy experience for you I promise.

You have been warned.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Tangentially relevant: we got the email yesterday from the administration announcing TxDOT's intent to shut down and dismantle the North Texas Blvd bridge two weeks before graduation... followed thereafter by the City of Denton shutting down the near entirety of Eagle Dr two weeks later for reconstruction and restriping.

The valiant, if not Sisyphean, effort to fix everything at once continues.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

If your traveling to or from Denton from Fort Worth or from the south of Fort Worth I can't emphasize how much you need to avoid I-35W that runs  through the city...especially from downtown to north loop 820.

It's under major construction and during some hours it will be completely shut down.    Avoid it at all costs. Take loop 820 west around to Saginaw Main, or east around to Beach/377 or to 121 to 114, or even further east to I-35E thru Lewisville,..or go west loop 820 then way west on 20 to Weatherford and take the scenic route up 51 to Decatur and in from 380.  Just don't travel up I-35W for any reason....for the near future,...and probably for the next 4 years.

Most locals know this and know how to avoid it but there are thousands of out-of-towners every day who don't.   If you choose to travel this road and do battle with them be prepared.  Chances are you'll end up seeing  me...and it's not going to be a happy experience for you I promise.

You have been warned.

Rick

If you are coming up from Burleson, take the Abilene exit on loop 820 and circle around. The exit North to 35 should be a viable option. If the left lane starts getting stacked up as you approach the exit to Blue Mound, then take the Blue Mound exit. But if you choose to exit on Saginaw main, go up to Bailey Boswell Rd (the corner of Albertsons and Walmart). and turn east (right). It dead ends at Blue Mound where you go north and have several options to work your way over to 35 from there. 

I'll consult with my son. He's spent the last two years @ the fire station on the Northwest High School campus and has a lot of experience figuring out various ways to avoid this stretch of road as he goes south to home.

• Upvote 1

TxDOT be Oprah-ing north Texas.

You get a construction project, you get a construction project, and you get a construction project!

Not to be the soon-to-be-dead messenger, but there will soon be more 35 construction between 380 and the northern loop 288. I think that starts in 2017.

• Upvote 3

every road in denton is under construction.  I am not sure who hires the contractor but there must be a kick back somewhere.  On 288-south of freeway they are repaving the street. for about 1.5 miles- they are tearing the road all the way down.  They have six guys working.  I go down the street and they are putting in sidewalk for a new subdivision , they had 16 workers.  The Same group doing the road work is doing university and I think it has been under construction for a couple of years.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Tangentially relevant: we got the email yesterday from the administration announcing TxDOT's intent to shut down and dismantle the North Texas Blvd bridge two weeks before graduation... followed thereafter by the City of Denton shutting down the near entirety of Eagle Dr two weeks later for reconstruction and restriping.

And they were working on so much of Eagle Dr last semester and did what!? Nothing was fixed!

7 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Waiting until after graduation for the demolition of the old North Texas Blvd bridge could mean the new bridge would not be ready before the SMU and Bethune Cookman games are played in early September.  That means all the Apogee parking traffic would have to be routed through Bonnie Brae under I-35.

Edited by UNTFan23

6 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Waiting until after graduation for the demolition of the old North Texas Blvd bridge could mean the new bridge would not be ready before the SMU and Bethune Cookman games are played in early September.  That means all the Apogee parking traffic would have to be routed through Bonnie Brae under I-35.

No, read again. Bridge is coming down before graduation, so probably early May.

1 hour ago, Christopher Walker said:

No, read again. Bridge is coming down before graduation, so probably early May.

I think he understood and was stating that waiting until after graduation, which would seem to make sense, could cause larger issues in the Fall. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

I had to look that word up.  Was it your liberal music education that taught you that word?  Something smells Yankee in here.

Here's a good Texas Sisyphus reference, Real Ale Brewing in Blanco makes Sisyphus Ale. It's a high alcohol brew which means nearly twice as much grain. In their old brewery, that meant hauling hundreds of pounds of grain up a six foot stepladder one 40 pound bag at a time. Drinking good beer can help with a Classical education! 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think he understood and was stating that waiting until after graduation, which would seem to make sense, could cause larger issues in the Fall. 

Precisely. The main campus, which is all north of I-35E has better access than compared to the majority of the Athletic facilities which are all south of I-35E. If you are coming from Dallas to get to Apogee, you must take either cross over using North Texas Blvd or Bonnie Brae. With the North Texas Blvd bridge closing, all cross-over access will now be routed through Bonnie Brae. I've seen the exit ramp to Bonnie Brae/southbound I-35W back up before during rush hour and so seeing it back-up for a football game is quite feasible.  In fact, I'd expect the access road to North Texas Blvd from northbound I-35E to present problems as well.  Now imagine the SMU game is moved back to a Thursday night game (for TV) with a kick-off of 7 PM. Traffic up I-35E is going to be a complete nightmare, as if that's not already possible due to the 35Express project.