How much do you spend on average for a season of UNT Football?

NTAlum09

Not including local transportation costs, right at $1,600 per 6-game home season. Haven't been to any road games in several years...do you think there is a correlation between our competitiveness on the road and my willingness to spend money on road trips? Have a surfeit of merch and won't buy any more...can only wear it to games without being taunted, so I'll wear what I've got.

Added for clarification: The above was last year's cost and approximates what I would spend this season. The fork in the road is April 23 and I will make up my mind after the game which fork I will take. One fork leads down the same old path...damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. The other fork leads to my birthday on April 24 and possibly a Bushmaster or Tavor Bullpup. My current budget allows for one fork or the other.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3

Does it include travel costs?

Next season will cost me around 1-4k at a minimum depending on airfare and the like plus the apparel needs for the little one. I will fly in for 1-3 games (wife and the baby probably only one) plus a few other events for the university and airfare takes a toll.

I will have to admit it would be very simple for me to just keep the cash in the pocket and not go, but UNT is home and many of our friends are still in the various PhD programs or are faculty in DFW and it provides a great excuse to come back to see everyone.

Ask this in a year and I would not be shocked to give you a much different answer. This is a very big year for UNT athletics for me. If there is no real discernible vision that can easily be recognized, there are other event I can go to and I will just funnel most of that funding back into my departmental scholarship drive 

• Upvote 1

went to Marshall and Iowa last year....had a blast at both games.  It is great to get out and meet folks form other programs.....$3K or so.. All homes games.  Will go to Army and Florida this year.....close to the same.  Sure wish more of you would come on out.....it is a blast....really!  I'm not kidding....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Looks like about $2,293 a year.  I very, very rarely buy merchandise any more because I can't keep up with the proper shade.  I haven't really been drinking at games for a couple years, so no bar purchases.  Food and soft drinks are included, so no extra expenditures there.  This number is inclusive of my mean green club donation, since there isn't anything I could realistically allocate that to outside of football.

I spent a little on the SMU road game last year, but it was negligible going through John Williams for the bus and the ticket.

Do we count the rare occasion when I find myself a little too entertained in Denton and spend the night in one of its fine lodging establishments, or are we counting only money paid directly in to UNT?

• Upvote 1

I'd say right around $250 per year (total ballpark figure).  That includes everything (beer at the stadium, transportation to away games, parking, etc.)  It would probably go up this upcoming season because I don't get student tickets any more, but it may go down if I just come for the game and don't buy food from concessions and stuff.

Around $1,000 give or a take a couple hundred depending on the season results  and schedule. 

Next year will be far less to zero. Need to see signs of improvement 1st. Hard to convince wife to go anymore, and that's the truth.  

Edited by mgfan

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

went to Marshall and Iowa last year....had a blast at both games.  It is great to get out and meet folks form other programs.....$3K or so.. All homes games.  Will go to Army and Florida this year.....close to the same.  Sure wish more of you would come on out.....it is a blast....really!  I'm not kidding....

Road trips are very enjoyable and the pain of the associated expense dissipates quickly.  What does not dissipate quickly is the pain and humiliation of an uncompetitive contest. It is a long, sad drive or flight home when you get your ass kicked in dramatic fashion and the outcome was apparent before halftime. That is why I stopped. If we are ever competitive again, I might change my tune.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Road trips are very enjoyable and the pain of the associated expense dissipates quickly.  What does not dissipate quickly is the pain and humiliation of an uncompetitive contest. It is a long, sad drive or flight home when you get your ass kicked in dramatic fashion and the outcome was apparent before halftime. That is why I stopped. If we are ever competitive again, I might change my tune.

the second half of the Marshall game had the locals squirming a bit.  It was a blow-out in the 1st half.....but the end results was pretty fun....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Had to think about it for a second so I did a quick audit of my banking and card statements... For the 2015 season between the five home games, SMU, higher MGC membership (that I had to explain to the sales rep that yes, I wanted the higher tier... and it still was never updated on any public listing...), food and drink, and Mean Green gear I spent close to $1000.  This was actually a little surprising for me and I'm definitely not going to come anywhere near such this year. 

This season I'm not renewing MGC at all, and I'll only buy season tickets if John Williams chooses to continue buying out the majority of the Young Alumni section. If he doesn't, I'm just going to do cheap walk-up week-by-week knowing I can mill about and choose mostly whatever seat I want in the bowl.

The problem here is that I'm the perfect target young-alum and even staff member target the AD should be trying to cultivate, but their efforts have miserably failed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I'm just going to do cheap walk-up week-by-week knowing I can mill about and choose mostly whatever seat I want in the bowl.

The problem here is that I'm the perfect target young-alum and even staff member target the AD should be trying to cultivate, but their efforts have miserably failed.

Have you ever tried that walk-up transaction?  If it's anything like basketball, good luck with that. 

Something the department needs to realize and improve immediately:  Their aloof incompetence that sneers at the little guys trying to give them money is driving people away a whole bunch more than the loss column is.  You act like you're doing me a favor when I'm trying to give you money, and you make it damn near impossible, only call me when I raise a public stink, aren't very nice to me in the process, tell me that what I'm seeing on my computer screen isn't what I'm seeing on my computer screen, and then tell me, "Oh, well it's sucked because of the staff we had in place, but those people are all gone now."  Great, can I order some wing zone tickets on my account? "Um..er..um..let me transfer you."

I'll refrain from the ubiquitous personal attacks on anybody employed by the university.  I'll stay quiet on the dismal win/loss totals.

But I won't back down or remain silent on fundamental operational dysfunction.  Fix that shit.  

Nor will I back down or remain silent that it matters to me that the regular Joe fans are fleeing en masse, regardless of what small percentage those unwashed masses of peons provide to the overall financial picture.  The athletic program is, in economic terms, a public good. It should be enjoyed by all.  We talk about providing scholarship opportunities for athletes that would otherwise be unable to enjoy an affordable college education.  That's a legitimate and fair argument.  On the other side of that coin, let's talk about alumni who without an enjoyable athletic program would otherwise be unable to enjoy an affordable family sporting experience.

To quote my favorite Statler and Waldord line, "Why do we always come here?  I guess we'll never know.  It's kind of like a nightmare to have to watch the show!"

• Upvote 5

Prob around $1000. But last year after the first 2 games, I couldnt take it any more. Seriously considering throwing in the towel. Hard core MG fan since the late 80's and I am exhausted and realize my life would be so much easier if I just dont care. Blow off season tix and just show up to 1 game a year until they start winning. So much healthier to be a fair weather/band wagon fan. 

I think im done until RV is gone. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

None, drink the beer first!

EXACTLY!!!

as for continuing to join the MGC....i like my seats and where they are...do not want to lose them...i'll still go to all the games...still drink profusely...but i just don't want to give up my spots...otherwise, i'd be gone as well...

12 minutes ago, Cowtown said:

I think im done until RV is gone. 

See you Feb 28th, 2018.

One year does not sound like a lot, but with starting baseball and building some facilities, it’s going to take a couple of years. If we are playing baseball in 2016, that will give me a chance to enjoy that project. We like it here and are blessed. It’s a great place to live. I am excited to be a part of it.”

Ccstlkz.gif

Villarreal’s base salary of $275,000 and car allowance of $7,200 will not change under the terms of the extension.
Villarreal received a scheduled $100,000 bonus this fall and has $100,000 bonuses scheduled for Sept. 1 in each of the next two years.

uDqQnlF.gif

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 2