Mean Green Win

emmitt01

Men's team off to a good start.

One word for this game: UGLY!

We need lots of work on rebounding, freethrows, turnovers, etc. The usual stuff.

But it is a win, and our first over NW Ok. St. The series is now tied 1-1 as they beat us in 1938. ohmy.gif

Congrats to Ark. St. on their win over Ole Miss!

Is NW Okla State even Division II? The game program mentioned their trips to the NAIA tournament back in the early to mid-nineties. Perhaps they moved up a few years ago, but if we had that much trouble with a NAIA school - it could make for a long season if we don't get some major bugs worked out.

Hopkins looks heavy, played just a few minutes and seemed winded. He was also looked pretty slow. I hope that he'll be able to return to previous form soon, because we really need him

I really liked Roniger in this game. Mid way through the 2nd half he really turned up the emotion, seemed really pi$$ed that we were running behind and established an "Uh - I don't think so" attitude on the court that was picked up by the rest of the team.

Attendance, might have been 1100. Not surprising for a team no one has heard of. Hopefully we'll turn that around as well.

I agree, the game was pretty ugly. There were several times where there were 2-3 white jerseys around the hoop and 1 black jersey, and the black jersey seemed to almost always get the rebounds.

Still glad we won, and loved that the pace of the game picked up so much in the 2nd. It was really slow/dull for the 1st.

Edit: oh, and NW Ok is NAIA Div 1 as far as I know.

Also forgot to mention that back and forth "North Texas" in the Super Pit was really dumb. tongue.gif

Edited by Gakusei

Also forgot to mention that back and forth "North Texas" in the Super Pit was really dumb. tongue.gif

Its not that its dumb, its that it is conduted poorly. During a time out, and using a microphone is a pathetic way. Do it durng play. have a couple of cheerleaders in the stands on either side and hold up the signs.

Something else I just thought of...Didn't they jump the 3-point line out a little bit for men's bball this year? I only saw the one line...

Nevermind...I just realized that takes effect in 04-05.

I guess something that I can add is that I was a bit disappointed with the attendance. I know there isn't nearly the hype around basketball as there is football, but I felt that a Friday night season opener should've drawn 500-1k more than it did. Oh well.

Attendance from ESPN: 1,037 

Edited by Gakusei

Just came across as cheesy is all I was saying. tongue.gif I'd like for them to figure out some basketball only cheers to get people going. I dunno if the CBA is still around (I know the team I followed is), but those teams' cheerleaders and announcers had a lot of cool things that they did that really brought the crowd into the game. Anything to spice up the experience a little would help.

Also, here's the roundup from the DRC/DMN:

North Texas 57, Northwestern Oklahoma State 47: In Denton, Scott Roniger scored five points to spark a key second-half run that lifted North Texas to a win in its season opener.

The Rangers grabbed a 22-21 lead at halftime and led by as many as six points before Roniger sparked UNT's rally. The sophomore stole a pass and set up junior forward Michael Jones for a layup and a three-point play. Roniger then drove the lane and made a layup to give UNT its first lead of the second half at 36-35.

Edited by Gakusei

Attendance from ESPN: 1,037 

there was no way a thousand showed up for that game...

WE were facing an unknown opponent... I didn't even know they existed till the other night. But, I also don't know if we have been campaigning this season that well.. at least i haven't heard anything.

And, last year was just horrible...

We seem alot better, but for much of last nights game we looked very very bad. And a NAIA team actually had us beat for much of the time. We made NOSU look good because we just weren't going all out. No real hustle, no desire to get to the ball it seemed. Which is why they dominated us with the hustle stats... IT was nice to see the likes of Roniger pick up the team.. he is a fired up individual. One of my friends (from Bloomington, Indiana) said Roniger reminds him of the Indiana boys that play for IU.. just scrappy and gets after it.

Here is to hoping we turn this ship around this season... JJ can take us there!

WE NEED PEOPLE TO COME OUT TO A GAME.. There are little things in life that are better than packing in a bunch of rowdy fans at a basketball game.

By the way, that cheer was pretty bad... It was for two reasons.. 1. like rudy said earlier- the timing and "being coached" for the cheer was just bad. And 2. It is not going to sound good with just 7 people on one side, and 8 people on the other. (i know, exaggeration)

Why, if the whole section next to the student side is empty, will they still not let us move a section over to be closer to the game? I understand that some people paid for seats there or whateva.. but, c'mon a whole freakin' section to just three people while many students are put on the side... (If I go to UNT i have to COMPLAIN about something, it just wouldn't be right if I didn't)

To me it looked a lot more like 500-700, but I have a hard time determining in the SP. And I agree with the seating. It'd be one thing if the place was packed or filling up through the 1st half, but I think that if seats are still open by the second half, they should be fair game. Either that or at least spread the student section out of the corner a bit.

Why, if the whole section next to the student side is empty, will they still not let us move a section over to be closer to the game? I understand that some people paid for seats there or whateva.. but, c'mon a whole freakin' section to just three people while many students are put on the side...

That was very pointless. It was like the 2001 NMSU thing, except our own school did it to us.

The reasons NWOS stayed with us was because Barnett could not take advantage of his height, and they let NWOS dicate the tempo of the game. When we went to a 3 guard lineup, the talent differential really showed up. Hot three point shooting from the Rangers and poor free throw shooting by NT also played big parts. I think we will be OK, but not playing like we did last night, that's for sure.

The reasons NWOS stayed with us was because Barnett could not take advantage of his height, and they let NWOS dicate the tempo of the game.  When we went to a 3 guard lineup, the talent differential really showed up.  Hot three point shooting from the Rangers and poor free throw shooting by NT also played big parts.  I think we will be OK, but not playing like we did last night, that's for sure.

I agree.. It definitely looked like a new ball game with the new look. Good job on JJ for doing so.

Barnett will do some good things this year, but it wasn't the best of games last night..

they will get some wrinkles smoothed out... We will do much better this season.. i just don't know how much better...

That last 8 minutes looked real good.. hope the rest of the season can look alot like that.

The "student section" thing is a very bad idea. Having a student section for the Indiana game might be necessary, but not for just about every other game unless there is a dramatic increase in attendence. Students make up a pretty large part of the usual attendence, and the few students that do go to games shouldn't be punished.

It would also be great if there was some sort of spirit organization of enthusiastic students who attended games and set an example to the other students at the game.

About the actual game... Yes the first half and part of the second half were not good at all but the team showed signs of life at times in the second half and hopefully that is something they can build on. Also, UNT is probably the biggest name that NWOS plays this year so they no doubt had more energy than they probably would otherwise. They could also shoot pretty darn well. They didn't really have any playmakers, but if they got an open look they usually knocked down the shot. A win is a win and hopefully some more of the rust will fall off next game.

Edited by e-bone

I'd say that the Student section is green, General admission is yellow, and Reserved seating is red. By my best guess, Blue is season ticket holders?

Who knows how it'll work out for the Indiana game. ph34r.gif Students better show up if they don't want their section to be sold off for the NT/UI game.

user posted image

Personally, I think a legend might help someone guess what is what in the diagram.

I was told 104-123 was student seating at the last game. Maybe the usher didn't know what they were talking about?

As far as the Indiana game, I'm buying tickets to that game. I want to have a good seat and I wouldn't be surprised to see the athletic office sell the student sections since school won't be in session.

well, the usher that talked with me told me to be at 103 or 104....

But what is so wrong with 105 when NOBODY but 3 people were there?!

Last year, it wasn't like this... That is why i don't understand the change...

and if nobody is going to be there, why is it such a bad idea to allow the kids to be closer to the action.