MGB video: Morris talks about landing at UNT

Brett Vito

Not to dog on the guy, but I'm surprised to see the UTEP QB, Leftwich, so high on that list.  Aside from sacking the guy 237 times in Denton a couple years ago, he did not look that impressive.

Then again, he was running for his life against that D.  Maybe he's an NFL-like passer with a little time in the pocket.

EDIT: Maybe I'm remembering a different UTEP QB.  My memory has been on a lousy run as of late.

Edited by greenminer

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Not to dog on the guy, but I'm surprised to see the UTEP QB, Leftwich, so high on that list.  Aside from sacking the guy 237 times in Denton a couple years ago, he did not look that impressive.

Then again, he was running for his life against that D.  Maybe he's an NFL-like passer with a little time in the pocket.

EDIT: Maybe I'm remembering a different UTEP QB.  My memory has been on a lousy run as of late.

You got the right guy. He was also a true freshman and that was the first game action of his college career.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I think at this point Vito is just trolling GMG with his "The QB hasn't been a position of strength since HOD CHAMPION MVP DEREK MOTHERF***ING THOMPSON LEFT IN 2013" in every article.

Nope, he is just reminding people that I was right when I said in early 2014 that you mofos would miss DT in the 2014 season.

You mofos did miss DT, even if you were to prideful to admit it. 

Being right so often around here is really starting to be a heavy burden. I wish Vito would stop reminding people...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 17

As for Morris's ranking, that's simply because he doesn't have a body of work at the college level to judge him on.  This is the guy we drooled after when he was a recruit, knowing all the time that he was a pipe dream for us.  Now he has had 4 years of working with the best coaches in football and practicing against the best defense in football.  He has to be significantly better now--or at least readier--than he was then, right?  If the O-line is at least average this year, I fully expect Morris to be in the top 4 of C-USA QB's.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Nope, he is just reminding people that I was right when I said in early 2014 that you mofos would miss DT in the 2014 season.

Being right so often around here is really starting to be a heavy burden. I wish Vito would stop reminding people...

Oh I wholeheartedly agreed with you about us missing DT. I thought he was vastly underrated. Just don't need to be reminded every 5 seconds

• Upvote 4

I'd take DT over Hall.

We have two bowl victories in our history. One with Andrew Smith and one with DT. DT won the bowl MVP.

Posted 29 Dec 2015 · Report post

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 8:20 PM, adman said:

Per this ranking he wasn't even average. (#80 of all FBS QB's) 

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/year/2013/page/2

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 3:57 PM, Eagle-96 said:

Was hoping someone would pick up on that. Its been pretty dry around here since Hall and Smith. Before that there was a drought between Maher and Hall.

We have run out A LOT of spares in my 20 plus years following the team:

Scott Hall was ranked #86 out of 112 (23rd percentile) with a QBR of 36.1 his senior year in the same rankings adman used above where DT's QBR was 55.3 and he was 80th out of 128 (37th percentile).. Don't kid yourself that Scott Hall was a great quarterback. He was a defensive back that turned out to be an average quarterback on a team with great running backs and stout defenses, no better than DT.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 11

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I'd take DT over Hall.

We have two bowl victories in our history. One with Andrew Smith and one with DT. DT won the bowl MVP.

No worries. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

Hall   5829 YDS    50 TD   26 INT  Rate 133.0   3 conference titles

DT   7427 YDS   42 TD   34 INT  Rate 126.1   ETA * I gave DT too much credit on the conference title.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

No worries. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

Hall   5829 YDS    50 TD   26 INT  Rate 133.0   3 conference titles

DT   7427 YDS   42 TD   34 INT  Rate 126.1   1 conference title

0 conference titles for DT

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That stat is a little misleading. I did a count one time, and we've had over 10 teams in our history who did not go to bowl games because there weren't very many, but would have gone by today's standards. Still impressive accomplishments to win them, but only since we rejoined the 1A/FBS level has this really been that achievable for us. Way more attainable now, with every 6-6 team in the country and some 5-7 teams getting in.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

0 conference titles for DT

That stat is a little misleading. I did a count one time, and we've had over 10 teams in our history who did not go to bowl games because there weren't very many, but would have gone by today's standards. Still impressive accomplishments to win them, but only since we rejoined the 1A/FBS level has this really been that achievable for us. Way more attainable now, with every 6-6 team in the country and some 5-7 teams getting in.

Absolute brain fart on that one. It was such a great season. That fact gets lost in my feeble brain.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I dont miss DT and I was a DT fan before anyone even knew about him.  

From 2009-2014 we've had a guy ranked in the top 100 in terms of QB rating. In 2015 we had none.

As low as 100 (McNulty, 2014), and as high as 46 (Dodge, 2010). Others have been Vizza and Thompson, scattered between 90th and 60ish.

Point I'm getting to is, it shouldn't be so hard to get a decent QB here, but the McCarney staff made it so.

I think this change in staff can bring in the talent necessary where QB will no longer be a glaring need. Where we're not using the excuse, if only we had the right QB.

Hopefully the focus will shift onto other needs, BECAUSE I'M LE TIRED. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I dont miss DT and I was a DT fan before anyone even knew about him.  

DT wasn't super talented. His numbers weren't fantastic and his TD/INT ratio was close for awhile and he took almost his whole career to find his stride. But hey, he had enough talent when it counted and he had one hell of tough streak.

I don't get this "you'll miss DT" jive, though. It's not as if the fans or coaches drove him away. This fool is over talking about "how right he was" as if it would've changed DT's graduation date or would've brought in better quarterbacks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NTAlum09 said:

Vito if you are reading this, please stop referencing the 2013 Heart of Dallas Bowl. Yes it was a great day and I was there when we won. But in reality it was rated dead last in the bowl game rankings from ESPN. Probably got a lower rating with having UNLV as our opponent.

It's the last time we won anything.

It's our last point of reference.

What else do we have? The Dickey run? There are kids getting a driving permit that were born when that run started.

It's a reminder that things need to change.