Southern Miss head coach leaves for NFL

BillySee58

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

With the exception of Pete Carroll, I'm generally hard pressed to find examples of college coaching geniuses tearing it up in the NFL.  Good luck and enjoy the paycheck I guess.

Well, I checked out his bio on Wikipedia, which seems good for general information on coaches, and he did coach wide receivers for the Jacksonville Jaguars  from 2007-2010, so this isn't his first rodeo (with the NFL).  Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Monken

Ouch. The timing for this is fairly horrible for southern miss. We are not going head-to-head with USM too oftn, so it will probably not help us much but more local competitors from the AAC, CUSA and sunbelt are probably frantically calling USMs most interesting commits to see if they can turn them now.

38 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Ouch. The timing for this is fairly horrible for southern miss. We are not going head-to-head with USM too oftn, so it will probably not help us much but more local competitors from the AAC, CUSA and sunbelt are probably frantically calling USMs most interesting commits to see if they can turn them now.

Probably should be doing the same.. 

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

With the exception of Pete Carroll, I'm generally hard pressed to find examples of college coaching geniuses tearing it up in the NFL.  Good luck and enjoy the paycheck I guess.

Jim Harbaugh? Also, the Eagles had the second best offense in the NFL during Chip Kelly's tenure, with Foles/Sanchez/Bradford at QB. Personnel decisions were bad, but  he did good from the coaching side.

Saban also didn't do that bad. Had a winning season with Gus Frerotte as his QB, then went 6-10 with Joey Harrington at QB. No coach lasts long in the NFL with bad QBs.

One thing I'll say is it's hard to trust coaches who are better recruiters than coaches. You don't get all the players you want, so coaches like Monken who maximize their talent rather than relying on having better players are better suited for the transition, IMO. Plus, he's going to be an OC first.

Also he isn't calling the plays. Dirk Koetter already said he is calling the plays so he will just be helping develop players. Which at SM he showed he can get a lot out of the talent he has and the Bucs have a lot of talent of offense in Jameis, Martin, Evans, Sims, Seferian-Jenkins, Jackson, Bell, Humphries, Dye, Brate, and others. (The Bucs are my favorite team so that's the only reason I know so many of their players lol).

Does anyone know if SM has any commits from Texas?

1 hour ago, MEEN2018 said:

Also he isn't calling the plays. Dirk Koetter already said he is calling the plays so he will just be helping develop players. Which at SM he showed he can get a lot out of the talent he has and the Bucs have a lot of talent of offense in Jameis, Martin, Evans, Sims, Seferian-Jenkins, Jackson, Bell, Humphries, Dye, Brate, and others. (The Bucs are my favorite team so that's the only reason I know so many of their players lol).

Does anyone know if SM has any commits from Texas?

None. The SE area.