Report: Coker out at UTSA

BillySee58

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

National Signing Day is on Feb. 3rd, which means it is less than a month away.  IMO, poor timing on UTSA's part.  Unless they have a new coach already lined up, how can they recruit anyone to a ship without its captain?

Are they not also subject to the 30-day job posting rule or is that enforced anymore?

6 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Are they not also subject to the 30-day job posting rule or is that enforced anymore?

That would mean they would not have a head coach until after National Signing Day!  Yikes!  What a PR nightmare that could be.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Last season was the killer.  They had all of the pieces in place and more seniors than any other program in the country.  They should have canned him after that debacle but I don't think they had the money to do it.

The timing is odd.  Evidently, they were able to get enough buyout money from the UT system to leave enough to bring in a new guy but it took some time.  They have a TOUGH budget situation there and the sparkle of moving up to FBC has faded now.  UT System is very stingy with the purse strings.

Will be interesting to see who they land.  They really wanted Jinx but he's taken now.  There are plenty of others who want a head gig though.

Jinks would of been perfect. I still think Toni Levine would be a good hire. Coker was not making much money, they will have to step it up!

My God, UTSA is making worse decisions with their football program than anyone could have imagined. You lost to the worst team in the country, yet kept your coach. You finished a turd of a losing season, yet kept the coach. Then, all of the bowl games get played, JUCO recruiting comes and goes, and high school recruiting's deadline is coming up in less than a month and you decide that NOW is when to fire the coach?

That makes RV look somewhat less incompetent--and that is quite the accomplishment. Way to go Lynn Hickey!!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

They definitely have a timing problem but I won't second guess their AD. Say what you want about UTKFC but they do have a top-shelf Athletic Director. Note: I would have referred to them as nUTSAck but their AD is a lady.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This stinks of Coker giving them the bird going out the door. 

@BillySee58 is there anything worth poaching in their recruiting class? Can you give us a few names?

I wasn't very familiar with their class, but I knew it was small and it still is (outside the juco signees). Receiver Jesse Ebozue visited here but was never offered under Mccarney. Mclin from Carthage would be good.

• Upvote 1

Imagine the stress the new coach is going to have to go through due to the poor timing on UTSA's canning Coker. If Dan McCarney ever had a chance at getting the job there, I would be advising rowdy talk to be on hospital watch (Not joking around).

The bright side of this is for all the Texas teams in CUSA, as well as SMU to have a greater advantage in recruiting the state, Just imagine Littrell sitting down with a young man in the San Antonio area...

Coach L (after a long discussion about football and UNT) " UTSA doesn't know what they are doing. They don't even have a coaching staff right now"

Kid: "Sold"

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Their recruiting is screwed in a BIG WAY. By the time they hire a coach, signing day will be here and they will be left with very very little after the poaching. I actually feel bad for the JUCOs that signed thinking they would be playing for Coker.

I was thinking the same. So strange to wait until midterm LOIs are signed and a month before national signing day. Bizarre

• Upvote 1

For all of the bitching that we do about Rick V - and much of it is legitimate - he at least made our coaching change early enough that we have a head coach and a staff on the ground running and recruiting a month prior to National Signing Day.    That is sure not the case for our friends at Texas State or UT- San Antonio.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Huff said:

For all of the bitching that we do about Rick V - and much of it is legitimate - he at least made our coaching change early enough that we have a head coach and a staff on the ground running and recruiting a month prior to National Signing Day.    That is sure not the case for our friends at Texas State or UT- San Antonio.

Such a true true statement. Two teams with which, like it or not, we are recruiting rivals are in a bad spot right now. We MUST take full advantage of this as I trust Littrell et al are already doing.

200.gif

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Huff said:

I choose to disagree but have no facts, just an opinion. Regarding RV, I'm not so sure he was anything but a puppet in this process. Regarding UTKFC, they have a highly professional AD. I seem to recall Coker saying that he wasn't going anywhere and looking forward to next season. Was this a severance negotiating ploy on his part or did he intentionally $chidt in the nest to spite the AD?  So many scenarios here but their AD is well-respected and would be on my short list to call when we shed ourselves of RV.

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Imagine the stress the new coach is going to have to go through due to the poor timing on UTSA's canning Coker. If Dan McCarney ever had a chance at getting the job there, I would be advising rowdy talk to be on hospital watch (Not joking around).

The bright side of this is for all the Texas teams in CUSA, as well as SMU to have a greater advantage in recruiting the state, Just imagine Littrell sitting down with a young man in the San Antonio area...

Coach L (after a long discussion about football and UNT) " UTSA doesn't know what they are doing. They don't even have a coaching staff right now"

Kid: "Sold"

My hope is Littrell is winning recruiting battles with bigger and better programs than UTSA.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you notice...  he cited KP as well.   Like his D-Line's output last season or not, KP is likely the best recruiter on staff... even after everyone else comes on board.  It's likely why he's still here.

KP is a pretty good recruiter. He brings in good players for us and I am glad that Littrell decided to keep him on board. It was a smart move on his part. 

7 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Could be even worse than 30 days.  First, the hard part; they must identify and negotiate a contract with a suitable candidate while being able to prove they showed no racial biases in the hiring process. Then, under Texas law, a 21-day waiting period must be observed before the UT System can vote to hire the finalist.

The first part, as Texas State has discovered, can be a drawn out process all by itself. They too will have to wait 21 days for the Texas State System board to approve their candidate once they find one.

And, to add insult to injury for the athletes committed to those schools, the new coaching staff is in no way legally bound to honor the scholarship offers that have been extended by the previous staff. The athletes could find they have no scholarship offer from that school and it will be far too late to start the recruiting process with another college.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

they signed 7 mid term jucos and only have 4 current commits on the board according to this:  http://utsa.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

My guess is that they have known about this for awhile now, hence the guy we just hired coming on board. 

The timing is not good for sure though.  Perhaps Hickey realized that she had to do something and it took time for them to get UT System to approve it.

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I wasn't very familiar with their class, but I knew it was small and it still is (outside the juco signees). Receiver Jesse Ebozue visited here but was never offered under Mccarney. Mclin from Carthage would be good.

I really hope they make a run at mclin. Having goree and Rutherford should help.