Free Admission! North Texas Ready For Early Game Against MVSU Thursday. Tip off at 11:30 am

Harry

DENTON -- The North Texas men’s basketball team will host Mississippi Valley State in a non-conference game on Thursday, Dec. 17 at 11:30 a.m. inside the Super Pit.

Free admission will be available for all fans, students and faculty during the early morning contest starting at 11:30 a.m.

North Texas snapped a seven game losing streak Monday night with an 18 point victory, 78-60, against Nicholls at the Super Pit. Four NT players were in double figures with sophomore Jeremy Combs leading the way with 19 points and eight rebounds. Junior Deckie Johnson set a new career high with 17 points and classmate J-Mychal Reese chipped in with 14 points, scoring in double figures for the eighth straight game. The Mean Green only committed nine turnovers and were stellar at the free throw line shooting 73.3 percent (22-for-30).

Reese is leading the team in scoring at 14.7 points per game and Combs is second at 13.5. Johnson is third at 11.7 points per game and leads the team with 17 made three pointers. Freshman Ja’Michael Brown earned his third start of the season against Nicholls and is averaging 6.7 points per game and has dished out 31 assists.

As a team, North Texas continues to be in the top 50 in field goal percentage sitting at 47.9 percent, which is 48th in the nation. The Mean Green have attempted 275 free throws on the season, which is 13th in the country amongst division one schools.

NT will travel to Omaha, Neb. for a road contest at Creighton on Monday, Dec. 21 at 8 p.m. on Fox Sports One.

About the Opponent: Mississippi Valley State
•This will be second meeting between the teams after playing last season in the Super Pit. North Texas came away with a 67-52 win on Nov. 26, 2014 with former player Colin Voss scoring 10 points and grabbing eight rebounds.

• Mississippi Valley State has lost 12 games in a row to start the season. The Delta Devils have played some quality opponents and lost a one point game at Air Force, 65-64, on Nov. 19.

• MVSU has lost to big schools like Nebraska (L, 51-97), New Mexico State (L, 85-46), BYU (75-68) and Northwestern (L, 78-48). The Delta Devils haven’t played a home game yet going 0-11 on the road and 0-1 in neutral site games.

• MVSU is led by junior Marcus Romain, a 6-2 guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., who is averaging 17.1 points per game. Romain has scored 137 points in eight games. Classmate Damian Young, a 6-3 guard from Grayson, Ga., is second on the team in scoring at 10.8 points per game. Junior forward Michael Matlock leads the team in rebounding with 5.4 boards per game.

It is my understanding that DISD messed up the date for this game on their school district calendar, so DISD students will not be present.

Thanks DISD superintendent! Ha!  Just using a play off a common theme here these day.

So, free admission makes a lot of sense.  Maybe a few more folks attend and maybe a few more concessions purchased, etc.  Hopefully, some of the surrounding school districts are still set to attend. Who knows.

ODU did this recently with, I believe, a 10:30 am tip-off.  Had over 8000, mostly Norfolk ISD kids, in attendance (free admission).  You think that place was loud?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

*Those other threads speak about certain seats or areas of the stadium. Not absolute free admission. You get what you pay for holds true to everything. 

Given the time that this game is taking place, I doubt offering free admission really will make a difference in attendance. I'll bet the UNT gave DISD free tickets, so I wonder if that would have changed your opinion on giving away tickets for this game.

I would argue that offering free tickets for any sport in any seating section cheapens the value so I am always against it. I'd rather see something more along the lines of "buy 4 tickets and get a free pizza at the concession stands" as that actually makes the product seem to have more value than something free ever would.

It is my understanding that DISD messed up the date for this game on their school district calendar, so DISD students will not be present.

Thanks DISD superintendent! Ha!  Just using a play off a common theme here these day.

So, free admission makes a lot of sense.  Maybe a few more folks attend and maybe a few more concessions purchased, etc.  Hopefully, some of the surrounding school districts are still set to attend. Who knows.

ODU did this recently with, I believe, a 10:30 am tip-off.  Had over 8000, mostly Norfolk ISD kids, in attendance (free admission).  You think that place was loud?

could we possibly have a better example of why we fear for Seth Littrell and whoever takes over our hoops program in 2016? Terrible AD and we play in a town where the ISD cannot even get a simple date right with the university for what was a fairly easy field trip. 

Pathetic...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

could we possibly have a better example of why we fear for Seth Littrell and whoever takes over our hoops program in 2016? Terrible AD and we play in a town where the ISD cannot even get a simple date right with the university for what was a fairly easy field trip. 

Pathetic...

Vanna, I'd like to buy a vowel.

C L _ _T _R  F_C_

• Upvote 5

Pathetic...

Don't believe the BS.  History stands on DISD's side as to who screwed up here.  We can't even get a brand new football recruit's name spelled correctly in the headline announcing his commitment on our own athletic website.

avYpZNH.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Don't believe the BS.  History stands on DISD's side as to who screwed up here.  We can't even get a brand new football recruit's name spelled correctly in the headline announcing his commitment on our own athletic website.

avYpZNH.jpg

Rick

Yeah, I know. But it just, again, proves the point of how hard it is to succeed at a place that literally is surrounded by a large majority of people, both inside and outside of the university, that flat out don't give a crap about UNT Sports.

That mindset does not exist ANYWHERE else in this state for a FBS school. Frankly, its seems difficult to see how that mindset ever changes enough to make things work any differently than they have for the last 40 years. I respect that others fell and hope differently, but the history of apathy here runs VERY deep. The accepted losing and the lack of care about woeful attendance sort of proves that point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick

You complaining about spelling is rather amusing to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know,...when I was running an official website where the employees were making 6 figures I was much better at it.  

Rick

I was only trying to point out that you are one of the major offenders when it comes to spelling mistakes and to see you pointing out someone else's mistakes was rather amusing and quite ironic.

Carry on with your faux rage.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Versus carrying on with "expected and accepted"...losing fans like FFR is akin to LBJ losing Walter Cronkite's support during the Vietnam Era. Once you have lost a visible ally, that means the number of people who gave up or quit following the program before are significant in number.

Never mind, though. RV's "vision" is really being executed in all aspects--marketing, community relations, wins and losses--in front of hundreds of people at The Super Pit and at Apogee these daysIt must feel awesome to sit in a facility that is no more than a quarter full anymore--and that's on a good day.

BTW, not speaking for FFR, he can do that himself--but, for me, there's nothing "faux rage" about it. Its more mind-boggling that someone can pull this off. No doubt, RV has this thing on autopilot now. Its damn near miraculous in how he has achieved this in this day and age of college sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was only trying to point out that you are one of the major offenders when it comes to spelling mistakes and to see you pointing out someone else's mistakes was rather amusing and quite ironic.

Carry on with your faux rage.

But it's not faux, it's reality.  It was the news of the day as NT athletics go and sadly fans such as yourself, for whatever reason refuse to demand better from this athletic department.  

If it had happened even a couple of dozen times I wouldn't even blink about it.  But it's how an RV run AD goes and is a common occurrence.  And despite that I sent a note to them about it it's still incorrect as I type this.  Like so many other things, I guess they just don't care.

These are just some of the things Coach Littrell is going to have to get used to.  

Sad.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

But it's not faux, it's reality.  It was the news of the day as NT athletics go and sadly fans such as yourself, for whatever reason refuse to demand better from this athletic department.  

If it had happened even a couple of dozen times I wouldn't even blink about it.  But it's how an RV run AD goes and is a common occurrence.  And despite that I sent a note to them about it it's still incorrect as I type this.  Like so many other things, I guess they just don't care.

These are just some of the things Coach Littrell is going to have to get used to.  

Sad.

Rick

There is a group of people that seem to think that getting a new AD will suddenly all in the world will be right.  You seem to be one of those people Rick.  Sadly, should we get a new AD tomorrow it will be at least a year before I expect any significant changes to really be made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4