Coach Littrell on ESPN Central Texas at 3:30 Tuesday

Eagle-96

Somehow I happened to be driving down I45 as this interview was happening.  Coach Littrell didn't make it on until around 4pm.  

The interviewers asked him the usual questions.  What brought you to North Texas?  Recruiting questions.  How quick did you call Graham Harrell (very quickly)

They then went a bit into North Carolina as that is who Baylor is playing.  

All in all a pretty standard interview.  

• Upvote 3

I suspect in the beginning that RV has given him a script to read concerning "RV's vision since 2000". Once you get past that nauseating part, and Coach does his thing, you will appreciate what he has to say.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I suspect in the beginning that RV has given him a script to read concerning "RV's vision since 2000". Once you get past that nauseating part, and Coach does his thing, you will appreciate what he has to say.

Yeah, I don't think it's a compliment to RV for him to say how long he's had his "vision" and compare that to the actual results.

The radio guys were very complementary of Seth.  Good to hear. 

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the fact that Littrell seems to speak to the fact that "We have to get the community involved, open our doors to them, show people what NT has to offer, etc."  

Voicing the view that part of the responsibility to grow fan involvement lay with the athletic department I feel is actually a more effective sales pitch than Mac & RV's constant "we're doing what we can...it's on the fans/community to show up."

• Upvote 2

I appreciate the fact that Littrell seems to speak to the fact that "We have to get the community involved, open our doors to them, show people what NT has to offer, etc."  

Voicing the view that part of the responsibility to grow fan involvement lay with the athletic department I feel is actually a more effective sales pitch than Mac & RV's constant "we're doing what we can...it's on the fans/community to show up."

McCarney started out saying this too.   Everyone does.   

• Upvote 2

Everyone does, but not a lot deliver.  I am pretty sure Littrell has already visited almost as many HS coaches as Mac did the entire time he was here.

I think you're talking about recruiting.   I thought the conversation was around community involvement/interest... like getting the City of Denton interested in coming to the games.

• Upvote 1

I think you're talking about recruiting.   I thought the conversation was around community involvement/interest... like getting the City of Denton interested in coming to the games.

Nothing will get the community more involved than winning.  I think Dodge did go out and meet with everyone who would stand still for 10 minutes, but that involvement didn't last through the losing.  

• Upvote 1

Part of the responsibility to grow fan involvement?  It is ALL of their responsibility. It is not my responsibility or obligation to go to a North Texas sporting event.  I don't have to compel myself.  That is something for the Athletic Department to do. What are they going to do to get the masses to want to come? Because looking back, there aint a whole heck of a lot. 

• Upvote 4

Nothing will get the community more involved than winning.  I think Dodge did go out and meet with everyone who would stand still for 10 minutes, but that involvement didn't last through the losing.  

I think I agree, but oddly enough, we didn't see an increase in ticket sales after the 9-4 HoD Bowl season.  Littrell can go out and try to drum up support... I anticipate him doing so.  But this is only a fraction of his job (I think we all know who shares more of the responsibility here).  I just hope he doesn't get beat down by the apathy like so many before him... along with the inaction of those who share more of the responsibility. 

Of course, if he doesn't win, then this is all moot.

This post makes me wonder what level of effort it takes to recruit to NT.  I think we found out with Dodge that you can recruit here if you just go out, shake some hands and remind people your here.  I don't know if we Dodge got us the best we could have signed, but it is better than finding out the hard way: sitting on your tail and doing nothing inside the best football hotbed you can ask for does not mean kids will sign.

McCarney started out saying this too.   Everyone does.   

this

I think I agree, but oddly enough, we didn't see an increase in ticket sales after the 9-4 HoD Bowl season.  Littrell can go out and try to drum up support... I anticipate him doing so.  But this is only a fraction of his job (I think we all know who shares more of the responsibility here).  I just hope he doesn't get beat down by the apathy like so many before him... along with the inaction of those who share more of the responsibility. 

He is going to realize that he has to not only be head coach, but perform most of the functions of the AD if he wants it to get done. 

Its going to wear him down very quickly. Mac basically quit after 3 years. 

Nothing changes here until we hire a professional, successful AD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I have to honestly believe that most on the fence types about buying season tickets would need to see that 2013 wasn't a fluke.  If we showed up at Texas and either gave them a good game or won then you would have seen an uptick for sure.

I'm not making any excuse for the lack of coordinated efforts by the AD to not capitalize on the season and make a concentrated effort to drum up more ticket sales but I see the following reasons for skepticism among those considering purchasing tickets.

1.) Anyone who watched knew that DT was the only D1 QB on the field that we had.... and he graduated.  Same could be said with plenty of other skill positions.

2.) We happened to catch some teams at their lowpoints in recent history (So. Miss, Idaho, Tulsa) and some knew that

3.) The simple fact that one winning season in 10 years isn't going to cure all.  People needed to see at least one more year of being at least decent.  They didn't get that.... at all.

I'd also love to see a pic that shows that there were 38k at the HOD bowl in green or at all.

These pics don't add up to 38k fans.  The stadium seats 92k

gallery_1_219_1590560.jpg

usp-ncaa-football_-heart-of-dallas-bowl-

HeartofDallas_Blog_05.JPG

If Littrell can get us a couple of winning seasons we will see the results in attendance that we so desperately want....hopefully the AD marketing dept. can help usher that in.