What the hell is going on with Club Seats?

UNT90

Ryan,

I appreciate every bit of hard work you have done to promote our school.   And, I am not somebody who bashes the administration overall, because outside of the choice of coaches, a lot of really good things have taken place over the last 10 years or so around campus.    UNT now is much better off than when I graduated in the late 80's.

I have one problem with what you said.    I wish people associated with the school would stop saying how hard it is to recruit and promote UNT.   There is absolutely no reason for that kind of the negative thinking when you look at the overall situation here.

Crappy facilities ?  NO

Bad stadium ? NO

Dated campus ?  NO

Bad location ?  NO

Lack of donors and revenue from sports?   YES

However, UNT is no worse off than any of our CUSA partners.   And, we have a better foundation than most of them IMO.   Because we are not raking in $$$ in the Big 12 or another P5 conference, it is harder for us to compete with schools like Texas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc.      The thing is, nobody here really expects that to be the case right now.   Our choice of coaches in recent times have really hurt our momentum.   We can get it back and the Littrell hiring would appear to be a big first step from a national opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That demographic is a vocal minority.  There are lots of people who came to UNT from all over the country/world and didn't have any opinion on UT one way or another before showing up on campus.  There are also a lot who fit the art/music/teacher bill and, though they came from Texas, also had no interest in any of the other big Texas schools.  So in a sense, yes, you can skip over a lot of those specific people, but just because they're snarky about the whole "I just came here because I didn't get into UT/aTm/whatever" and get all loud about it doesn't mean that they represent everybody else from that time period.

• Upvote 3

See, you're still basing it on the loud ones in the area.  So if a bunch of vocal Houstonians from that era have that attitude, eh, let 'em.  If they want to be tacky and throw around opinions without any factual basis, they're not worth wasting our time on at the moment.  There are plenty more fish in the sea, it just might seem overpowering at times if that happens to be a crowd you're around somewhat often.

• Upvote 4

So, I finally listen to the RV interview in the podcast. So many issues, but this is the one I'd like to address currently.

What the F is up with the club seats? Because RV didn't make anything clear in that interview. 

First, if RV is thinking about raising the price of the MGC donation after a 1-11, 5 home game season to which RV shares a huge portion of the blame, he should be fired on the spot. Talk about driving people away.

But not only does he talk about raising  the MGC donation level, he talks about giving people 5 years to pay it off! WTF is that about? That sounds like a one time bump of a SIGNIFICANT amount. Like to $5000 level. 

This is probably just RV again F'n something else up, but as a club seat holder, when are the planning on telling me about this increase? 

He also promised things being explained in person to every club seat holder. I'd bet the farm THAT never happens and just becomes something else the RV said because it sounded good at the time. 

I'll be waiting for that call.

If anyone can explain what the hell is going on with club seats, please post here, because RV sure as hell didn't in that interview.

I would recommend calling the ticket office, the ticket manager or someone in the athletic department to clarify their issues, not us.

• Upvote 4

Ryan,

I appreciate every bit of hard work you have done to promote our school.   And, I am not somebody who bashes the administration overall, because outside of the choice of coaches, a lot of really good things have taken place over the last 10 years or so around campus.    UNT now is much better off than when I graduated in the late 80's.

I have one problem with what you said.    I wish people associated with the school would stop saying how hard it is to recruit and promote UNT.   There is absolutely no reason for that kind of the negative thinking when you look at the overall situation here.

Crappy facilities ?  NO

Bad stadium ? NO

Dated campus ?  NO

Bad location ?  NO

Lack of donors and revenue from sports?   YES

However, UNT is no worse off than any of our CUSA partners.   And, we have a better foundation than most of them IMO.   Because we are not raking in $$$ in the Big 12 or another P5 conference, it is harder for us to compete with schools like Texas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc.      The thing is, nobody here really expects that to be the case right now.   Our choice of coaches in recent times have really hurt our momentum.   We can get it back and the Littrell hiring would appear to be a big first step from a national opinion.

Lack of donors? A coach was just hired for over 1m! Somebody or bodies stepped up and deserves a big Thank you!

• Upvote 1

The fact that we scheduled back to back basketball games against SIllinois and started the football season with a bye week tells you all you need to know about why 'it is hard to win at North Texas':  terrible decisionmaking.  At this point who cares what the F is up with club seats or the MGC or anything else? Until NT stops making major bonehead moves I'm not buying any of it.

• Upvote 3

The fact that we scheduled back to back basketball games against SIllinois and started the football season with a bye week tells you all you need to know about why 'it is hard to win at North Texas':  terrible decisionmaking.  At this point who cares what the F is up with club seats or the MGC or anything else? Until NT stops making major bonehead moves I'm not buying any of it.

This.

Littrell might be the perfect coach, but our AD is the worst in the country. Same will be true with the next basketball coach. We hire people like Ryan Munthe to work there. Nobody should be surprised when we suck at these sports. We have no leadership for a FBS program. RV having a job still confirms this. Some of us just can't reward this stupidity anymore. I'm quite prepared to not visit Denton for a home game for many many years until he is retired or dead. We suck because we choose to suck, nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Because I should have to call them?

Man, you are from the RV school of management, aren't you? 

When I need or want something that is typically what I do. Granted we all know the AD is not up to par on most things. But I think expecting them to call for every little thing might be grabbing at straws, club seat holder or not. 

This.

Littrell might be the perfect coach, but our AD is the worst in the country. Same will be true with the next basketball coach. We hire people like Ryan Munthe to work there. Nobody should be surprised when we suck at these sports. We have no leadership for a FBS program. RV having a job still confirms this. Some of us just can't reward this stupidity anymore. I'm quite prepared to not visit Denton for a home game for many many years until he is retired or dead. We suck because we choose to suck, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes. I agree. Real question, when should we start seriously holding Smastrek accountable for not holding his employees accountable? 

• Upvote 1

No.  When I hear or receive something that I end up having questions about, I reach out to that person or organization for clarification.  As a manager, I try to prepare for everything, but sometimes people don't understand the message as intended.  The larger the group,the more apt someone will miss what is intended.  Thenthere are those customers that either don't want to understand or just want to be a pain.  I think you fall in the later considering you posted on here with a question about ticketing.

• Upvote 3

• Harry locked this topic