Todd Dodge

DougRush

I have no clue how SLC performed pre and post Dodge. If you want a key indicator as to see what kind of coach he was/is I would start there.  

We played SLC in HS almost every year. They were well coached every year, and when i played, they were coached by Ledbetter.  

Their athletes were not any better or faster at that time than our team, but we were always surprised at how good they were. They have a long history of being well coached and tough. 

That's why they win consistently, IMO.

While Dodge was at Fossil Ridge (which was in Southlake's district in 98 and 99), Southlake went 12-2 in 1998 with Lurch as their quarterback. They went as far as the state semifinals and lost to Cody Cardwell, Kelan Luker, and the man, the myth, the legend, one Art Briles. That was my senior year, I played at Coppell and we lost by 3 to them in our season finale.

In 1999 SLC went 6-4, did not make the playoffs, and went 2-3 in district play including a loss to Todd Dodge's Fossil Ridge Panthers.

• Upvote 2

Hope we're not doing a rewind.

I doubt we are. I'm sure Littrell has or will speak to Dodge at some point about his time here. Since he has a WR committed to us, I think the subject will come up. Dodge is a stand-up guy and will give Littrell all the insight on where he thinks he went wrong.

• Upvote 3

Congrats to Coach Dodge & to all the DFW area teams that advanced to the state championship game: Mansfield Lake Ridge, Frisco Lone Star, Argyle, Celina , and Brock.

FYI: Brandon Jackson is the receivers coach at Frisco Lone Star.

and we still have yet to go after their receivers, wonder if that changes with new staff? 

While Dodge was at Fossil Ridge (which was in Southlake's district in 98 and 99), Southlake went 12-2 in 1998 with Lurch as their quarterback. They went as far as the state semifinals and lost to Cody Cardwell, Kelan Luker, and the man, the myth, the legend, one Art Briles. That was my senior year, I played at Coppell and we lost by 3 to them in our season finale.

In 1999 SLC went 6-4, did not make the playoffs, and went 2-3 in district play including a loss to Todd Dodge's Fossil Ridge Panthers.

Remind me, Coppell lost on a last second FG try, correct?

Rick

We played SLC in HS almost every year. They were well coached every year, and when i played, they were coached by Ledbetter.  

Their athletes were not any better or faster at that time than our team, but we were always surprised at how good they were. They have a long history of being well coached and tough. 

That's why they win consistently, IMO.

back in my day, our district was Aubrey, Celina, Coppell, Little Elm, Southlake Carroll, Pilot Point, and Sanger. Ledbetter had just taken over in 1980 (my senior year), his team was very disciplined & tough.

• Upvote 1

back in my day, our district was Aubrey, Celina, Coppell, Little Elm, Southlake Carroll, Pilot Point, and Sanger. Ledbetter had just taken over in 1980 (my senior year), his team was very disciplined & tough.

wow. Isn't it crazy how fast this area has blown up. Un real!! Love to chat sometime and get perspective. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 1:57 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Remind me, Coppell lost on a last second FG try, correct?

Rick

You know, I honestly can't remember. I remember my last play was a punt return by SLC's homecoming king Tye Strickland and myself and a Navy discus thrower named Nate Michael combined on the tackle. I remember there wasn't much time left in the game after that. Looking back, I wish I'd have tried to strip the ball but you can't change the past.

We did beat the other eventual state champion that year besides Stephenville, Grapevine.

Edited by Cr1028

Come on dude. Southlake has their 9th and 10th grade on one campus and their 11th and 12th grade on another. Just so they can keep all the talent under one program's roof.

Southlake ISD should have at least 2, most likely 3 high schools in the district. 

They dont. For football. 

Allen is the same way.

To say coaching has nothing to do with talent available is insane. 

6-37 indicates he is a terrible coach, that's if you go by the "he either can coach or he can't" theory.

But I guess "football is football," right?

Alright, I'm an alumn of Southlake-Carroll ('96) and my kids are there now (grade school). There's a little over 8,000 students district wide. 4 (small) Elementary schools...that does not warrant 2 to 3 high schools. Aren't there high schools with 8,000 students? I hate that arguement. It has nothing to do with keeping all the talent under one roof.

The (Senior) High School was built in '92 when we had around 200 in each class, before the population boom. It's been expanded (maybe twice?) but in no way can it contain 4 grade levels. Sure, they could have built another High School but the current facility has nothing wrong with it other than size. It's not a two high school district. Isn't projected to be any time soon either.

Southlake-Carroll has tradition. Not talent. That's why there's a history of success, football and otherwise.

And since we're on the topic, a certain Defensive Coordinator was my neighbor for several years. All of you need to get over 2007. He has, no reason you can't.

Edited by UNT Five&Dime
Delete a random "l"
  • Upvote 3

Alright, I'm an alumn of Southlake-Carroll ('96) and my kids are there now (grade school). There's a little over 8,000 students district wide. 4 (small) Elementary schools...that does not warrant 2 to 3 high schools. Aren't there high schools with 8,000 students? I hate that arguement. It has nothing to do with keeping all the talent under one roof.

The (Senior) High School was built in '92 when we had around 200 in each class, before the population boom. It's been expanded (maybe twice?) but in no way can it contain 4 grade levels. Sure, they could have built another High School but the current facility has nothing wrong with it other than size. It's not a two high school district. Isn't projected to be any time soon either.

Southlake-Carroll has tradition. Not talent. That's why there's a history of success, football and otherwise.

And since we're on the topic, a certain Defensive Coordinator was my neighbor for several years. All of you need to get over 2007. He has, no reason you can't.

Plus, now you have Trophy Club going to Byron Nelson. When I was in HS, I went on a date with a SLC dragonette(or whatever they're called) and she lived in Trophy Club.

current alignment snapshot numbers:

https://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=984&CID=1567932 

Allen at 5,987 is biggest in the state.

If these are 2014 numbers then they are from the 2012 enrollment report, correct?  Reason I ask is I know for a fact what my kid' school turned in a few weeks back at the deadline for the 2016 report and it's higher than what this list shows.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I want to see the half student at Cy Lakes

It's a sad, sad situation... The kid used to play football, but Todd Dodge tried to coach him to cross a train track. Didn't go so well, sawed him completely in half, nothing left below the torso. Trauma forced him to transfer away to Cy Lakes. 

But... He's not dead! That's a moral victory! 

2nd But... No genitals anymore. That's gonna make it hard to be a good husband and father. 

If these are 2014 numbers then they are from the 2012 enrollment report, correct?  Reason I ask is I know for a fact what my kid' school turned in a few weeks back at the deadline for the 2016 report and it's higher than what this list shows.

Rick

these are the numbers used for the current alignment. I've seen where someone listed the new numbers from this year (to be used for the coming realignment), but couldn't find the link this morning.