I would like to see us add positions related to high school recruiting in DFW

Harry

TCU has two recruiting specific positions:

Zarnell Fitch Director of High School Relations and Recruiting

Nelly GonzalezAssistant Director of Football Operations/Recruiting 

SMU has two:

Brooke Hickey - Recruiting Operations Coordinator

Mark Smith - Recruiting Coordinator/Offensive Analyst

If we are serious about recruiting here in the DFW area and state, why not create some staff positions focused on this?  I realize that we don't have TCU's budget but it seems like a focus of our existing resources in this area would be helpful.  We are sitting on a goldmine and we just need the tools and resources to get to the gold.

SMU has two:

If we are serious about recruiting here in the DFW area and state, why not create some staff positions focused on this?  I realize that we don't have TCU's budget but it seems like a focus of our existing resources in this area would be helpful.  We are sitting on a goldmine and we just need the tools and resources to get to the gold.

agreed.  there is really no reason we shouldn't be doing this.  

But this would mean working for RV

RV is gone in t-minus 6 months (or less). Smastrek is going to come to his senses due to the current basketball fiasco and realizing he is having to baby RV into making yet another hire. But, yeah, sign me up after he is gone in any capacity within the athletic department. I will take a pay cut to make it happen too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

SMU has two:

Unfortunately this just highlights more of the failure of RV and the previous coaching staffs.  These positions should have be already in place as soon as Apogee was completed.  At the very least we should have had one of these positions.  Maybe we could have gone the opposite direction of SMU and had a Defensive Analyst/Recruiting Director.  I think finding players to run the spread offense is easier than finding defensive players good at defending it.  As much as I am excited to have a head coach with a dynamic spread option coordinator resume, I would be more excited to have the top rated defense in CUSA.  If we have the top rated defense and just a little above mediocre spread offense our team probably wins CUSA West Division.

• Upvote 1

If TCU can have (Whoa!) Nelly Gonzalez and SMU can have Brooke Hickey, maybe we'll have to step up to

Rollergirl

200.gif

or perhaps "Fiveyards" Booty.

200.gif

Her nickname is "Fiveyards" because her backfield is in motion.

• Upvote 2

Houston has a Director of Recruiting, an Assistant Director of Recruiting and a Director of High School relations. All we have is a WR coach/Recruiting Coordinator. That is ridiculous! We need someone out making calls on high schools full-time. He could make 3 solid calls a day: morning athletic period at one school, lunch at another then afternoon athletic period at a third school. You could get someone real good to do this for $100k. If we're cheap, we could probably get by with $75k. Would be a great entry level job for a GA who needs promoting or a good job for a high school coach looking to move into college. It is a sin against our natural recruiting resources that we don't have someone doing this for the football program. 

We keep saying we need to recruit better in our own backyard.  We hear high school coaches saying we never visit them.  Why not pay someone a decent salary and provide them a car and gas and have them spend their ENTIRE job scouring the area high schools with a North Texas presence.  Think outside the box.  Set reasonable goals and hold people accountable. It doesn't have to be Littrell at every high school but if we had someone representing North Texas wearing our gear it could make a lasting impression.

We keep saying we need to recruit better in our own backyard.  We hear high school coaches saying we never visit them.  Why not pay someone a decent salary and provide them a car and gas and have them spend their ENTIRE job scouring the area high schools with a North Texas presence.  Think outside the box.  Set reasonable goals and hold people accountable. It doesn't have to be Littrell at every high school but if we had someone representing North Texas wearing our gear it WILL make a lasting impression.

fify. 

Like I said, sign me up. Want passion on the road, into the hallways of high schools and field houses, that's what I would offer. But they'll bring in someone with 0 affiliation to this school with no real passion for this University and it will end up just being a "job" for whoever lands this. Typical UNT kind of stuff. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

fify. 

Like I said, sign me up. Want passion on the road, into the hallways of high schools and field houses, that's what I would offer. But they'll bring in someone with 0 affiliation to this school with no real passion for this University and it will end up just being a "job" for whoever lands this. Typical UNT kind of stuff. 

And anybody that says no to you and the Mean Green, do you just say "Nope.  GTFO"?

• Upvote 7

This is obviously the future. I hope Seth not only is making big money, but also substantial raises for the Assistants.

You may not be able to contact players all year round, but you can contact coaches and admin!

Another area is the independent football camps and their coaches. You now have independent coaches and trainers outside programs that run all year. A big example would be Kevin Murray's dad.

He could also be in touch with JUCO!

And anybody that says no to you and the Mean Green, do you just say "Nope.  GTFO"?

Of course not. I would do what all the big time programs do, hire a bag man and he dines him and pays him and promises him the universe. Duh. 

I would pitch what this University has to offer from a first hand experience, not a script. I would then do everything I can to get them to buy in that doesn't raise red flags at North Texas. 

• Upvote 1

fify. 

Oh you have hit the nail on the head here....we don't like hiring our own grads around here much.  Those who will go the extra mile, work longer hours and be committed far longer because it is "their school" than the one who is just here to get a paycheck and move on.  But that is almost assuredly what they will hire.

• Upvote 1

Oh you have hit the nail on the head here....we don't like hiring our own grads around here much.  Those who will go the extra mile, work longer hours and be committed far longer because it is "their school" than the one who is just here to get a paycheck and move on.  But that is almost assuredly what they will hire.

Unless you are a College of Music grad.  All we really need is for our sports programs to gain the respect that our music programs have.  And no, Ben and them, you don't throw out your best program in some weirdly construed plan to do better by your stepchildren.

SMU has two:

No respect for Mike Grant (Wide Receivers / Recruiting Coordinator)?

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-coaches.html

Reword this for me

Some here have said we get better at sports by deemphasizing our most renowned programs, those in the music school.  You don't get better as an institution by forsaking the programs that have done the best.  You bring those who have underperformed up to the level of your best programs.  Sorry, if I mistook you for a musical philistine because you said you didn't like jazz.  But hey, maybe I'm wrong to think you're one the "let's get better by doing less well at what we've done best" crowd.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

SMU has two:

Wow...SMU has two, PLUS SMU Jesus, and all they can muster is another class of two-star recruits?

Is there a money back guarantee on these hires for them?

• Upvote 1