Chico says' "I never saw this season coming"!

man-up UNT

I don't get it either. Our only shot at winning more than 3 games was Damarcus Smith being at least a borderline all-conference QB. And that was a long shot in its own.

So much this. How can an educated fan base see this yet a coaching staff, and in particular the OC/QB coach not?? 

Sad thing is I expect nothing better from the next RV hire.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

So much this. How can an educated fan base see this yet a coaching staff, and in particular the OC/QB coach not?? 

Sad thing is I expect nothing better from the next RV hire.

What if RV hires your man that you have advocated so hard for (Fritz) and we sink further down to the core of the earth? Knowing you, it would somehow be RV's fault because the lack of "support" or some other hot garbage you could muster up. But admitting being wrong is a thing I think you would have an issue with. 

Full disclaimer: I am not defending Rick Villarreal in any shape or form. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

What if RV hires your man that you have advocated so hard for (Fritz) and we sink further down to the core of the earth? Knowing you, it would somehow be RV's fault because the lack of "support" or some other hot garbage you could muster up. But admitting being wrong is a thing I think you would have an issue with. 

Full disclaimer: I am not defending Rick Villarreal in any shape or form. 

Settle down, son. I have no problem admitting I am wrong. For instance I had a moment of optimism yesterday and predicted a 7 point loss. I was wrong. Plain and simple.

I think the bigger issue here is that you are pissed that I am right so often. It's ok. After you have been around about 7 years, you will realize that predicting big issues with this complete mess of an AD isn't difficult, as long as you think with your head and not your heart.

As far as Fritz, we will never find that out because RV doesn't have the negotiating ability to get him here. Plain and simple. RV would also rather hire a 30 year old assistant and go with the trend and what the majority of the fans on here want. Why? Because as we have seen with his recent quotes on past hires, he can then throw down the "everyone liked the hire when it was made" bullshit to deflect responsibility for his decision. 

It's what he does. Briles has this job if he truly wants it. And he will be a complete disaster at UNT. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

What if RV hires your man that you have advocated so hard for (Fritz) and we sink further down to the core of the earth?.

This kind of question is pointless.

But as a point of fact, it is almost impossible for the next coach to take us further down than we are at the moment. This is the nadir. We aren't competitive in games even against old Sun Belt foes. The toughest job in Denton is to compile a Mean Green highlight reel after games. We're playing poorly in every facet of the game.

When you see how Fritz's team played against Georgia last night, it seems absurd to think he'd be another McCarney here. His 153-68 record shows he can win. Doing that in CUSA is not a herculean task.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This kind of question is pointless.

But as a point of fact, it is almost impossible for the next coach to take us further down than we are at the moment. This is the nadir. We aren't competitive in games even against old Sun Belt foes. The toughest job in Denton is to compile a Mean Green highlight reel after games. We're playing poorly in every facet of the game.

When you see how Fritz's team played against Georgia last night, it seems absurd to think he'd be another McCarney here. His 153-68 record shows he can win. Doing that in CUSA is not a herculean task.

Take it back you will freaking jinx us, I have found at UNT it can always get worse. 

He never saw a 10 lost season this year, really? Okay, coming in to the season we have 3 of the worst QB'S in division-1 football, what in the hell did he think was ahead??? You can't win without a QB... The hell with this coaching staff! Don't let the door hit you in the ass as you exit the building...

Chico will be lucky to be coaching High School next year! 

My mother always said, "Proof is in the pudding". The time he had time to get past the dead cat bounce to see his true colors, god what an idiot. 

Edited by KingDL1

I had serious issues with this season before it even started (schedule with a week 1 bye, the 5 home games). Most of the fans that were paying attention, knew the staff didn't do enough to address our QB concerns. But, to be honest, Cosh being a bust as the D coordinator, and the terrible play of our defense was a surprise. I didn't expect us to be the best defense in C-USA, but didn't expect us to be this bad either.

After the Tennessee game, some of us on the board pointed out that Tennessee took it easy on us, but others didn't care to hear the truth. I didn't even bother to predict the MTSU score because I had a bad feeling it wouldn't be pretty. This football program is in worse shape now, then it was in the Dodge years. At least we could point to the Sun Belt conference or Fouts as an excuse back then.

About two weeks before the season, I spoke with Canales and he told me this team would be good and win games. So, I believe him when he says, "I never saw this season coming". The problem is, he, the rest of the staff, and leadership should have.

I had serious issues with this season before it even started (schedule with a week 1 bye, the 5 home games). Most of the fans that were paying attention, knew the staff didn't do enough to address our QB concerns. But, to be honest, Cosh being a bust as the D coordinator, and the terrible play of our defense was a surprise. I didn't expect us to be the best defense in C-USA, but didn't expect us to be this bad either.

After the Tennessee game, some of us on the board pointed out that Tennessee took it easy on us, but others didn't care to hear the truth. I didn't even bother to predict the MTSU score because I had a bad feeling it wouldn't be pretty. This football program is in worse shape now, then it was in the Dodge years. At least we could point to the Sun Belt conference or Fouts as an excuse back then.

About two weeks before the season, I spoke with Canales and he told me this team would be good and win games. So, I believe him when he says, "I never saw this season coming". The problem is, he, the rest of the staff, and leadership should have.

See also...

Game story: MTSU hands UNT 10th loss, making Mean Green one of just five teams to hit double-digit losses

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151121-football-blue-raiders-hand-mean-green-10th-loss.ece

Where did this quote come from?

I think it came from Side Show and/or Vito.

Edited by EagleMBA

This is kind of a no-win topic of conversation for the coach who is the bread on the McCarney sandwich.

Chico: "I never saw this coming."

What the hell -- how could you be so blind to not see this coming?

Chico: "I saw this coming."

What the hell -- how could you see this coming and fail to prevent it?

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Yep.  We really should just stop bringing him up, there is zero chance he comes here.

So you are close friends with Willie Fritz?

Look, I doubt the terrible AD could ever make this happen, but this is the hire this program needs.

It's not some no name assistant from a P5 program. Its another G5's head coach. That, and the money it would take to get him here, would be a huge head turner for those that know college sports, and something this university has NEVER done. 

We should keep talking about Fritz as long as a coaching search is still underway. 

Because if ever a fan base deserved this hire, it's this fan base. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really do like Mike, but...

...if he looked at the QBs on the roster before the season and saw anything even remotely resembling success, well...there is Exhibit 1-A as to why he should not be our head coach.

As I've said before, I think all of those guys would be fine FCS or D-II quarterbacks.  And, so, if Canales really believes they could have put together a successful season for us, then I fully support his candidacy to be a head coach at an FCS or D-II school.

Because someone else was in charge. Not saying that applies here, but if you're trying to CYA, that would be the answer.

That might not be a smart play for Chico. A head coach out there who might hire Chico as an assistant doesn't want to think he'll publicly stab him in the back after he's fired.

See also...

Game story: MTSU hands UNT 10th loss, making Mean Green one of just five teams to hit double-digit losses

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151121-football-blue-raiders-hand-mean-green-10th-loss.ece

I think it came from Side Show and/or Vito.

It didn't come from me. I was just responding to the OP.