Vito Coaching search update

Harry

If a new coach comes here and finds that he's being asked to make up for deficiencies in the athletic department, I hope he has enough juice with Smatresk to go to him and demand better from the AD and his (or her) top subordinates. It has been reported that RV asked Smatresk for a public vote of confidence and didn't get one. If RV is still around after the coaching hire, maybe we'll be in a situation where the coach is more powerful than the AD and can get the support he needs in areas like marketing.

Unless people like Ernie Kuene like the coach more than RV, Pres. Smatresk hands will be tied. 

RV has 15 years of personal relationship manipulation over the new coach. I have little hope Ernie or any of the other big donors can shake off that manipulation and give the new coach the power he needs.

Plus, the AD will be the new coach's boss. A new coach isn't going to rock the boat. He will realize soon enough that hard work isn't required in UNT athletics, and will adapt to the culture, much like McCarney did. 

As long as RV is here, we have zero chance of winning. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wouldn't be surprised that RV's reputation itself will be his biggest hurdle in landing a good coach. His record aint great people.  And, his department seems to shoot itself in the foot.... Just sayin...

this. 

This coaching hire will be of less quality because of his presence.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we don't consider people from FCS or other with head coaching experience, we will have sincerely inhibited the ability to succeed . In the case of Memphis in particular Fuentes wanted Dickey as OC because he had head coaching experience. If we hire an FBS assistant that method will be the only chance for him to succeed. Head coaches make decisions and assistant coaches make suggestions. It is a huge jump for an FBS assistant on his own especially with the disfunction that this program has historically shown.

• Upvote 2

There are so many open wounds on this program now that a paper cut probably bleeds it to death. I am still hoping for Coach Briles, but not likely considering our current state of affairs. I think what bothers me most is knowing what a great guy RV is (and he really is), then seeing what a terrible AD he has become. Every coach we hire is clear about the challenges to coaching and recruiting for sports programs in Denton Texas. The biggest problem in hiring a new coach is not that we have an AD who has lost touch with his responsibilities, but thinks "stepping aside" versus "stepping in" can work with any head coach? Doing the Mean Green March or not, Alums being allowed into practice or not, recruiting deficiencies or not, Dan MacCarney would never have been a good hire here. However, Todd Dodge could have been a good hire here. Where was our AD in all of this coaching mess? An AD should have demanded more.."Glad to have you here Coach Dodge, but no other High School coaches please". Or what about.." We do a TRADITIONAL March for our fans three hours prior to game time, Coach Mac.. and let's open up the practice fields so fans can watch their favorite players and be excited about Mean Green Football again." There is simply no formula where RV can sit idly by and let things happen. Yes, hiring a new coach for any sport is a gamble but the AD must take the reigns. I believe that is RV's most glaring deficiency now. I hate to beat UNT90's dead horse, but I cant see a scenario where we get a Head Coach worth a nickel while we have an AD who doesn't want to step in and take charge. Coaches who know anything about North Texas football and our AD will not come here to do this job alone? I would like to think an offensive mind like Briles or Cumbie would jump at the chance to head coach, but how much do they really know about North Texas? I think maybe too much.

Guess we will just have to wait and see.. again.

GMG!!!

Edited by medpilot21
  • Upvote 3

Okay, here I come with another potentially silly question related to this quote:

"UNT officials said right off the bat that they would like to have someone in place shortly after the end of the season so that they can get started recruiting right away."

How likely is it that this aspiration will limit our potential coaches pool to those at schools not going to bowl games (or the CFB Playoffs, as may be the case with Riley)?

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal and school officials have been on the road talking to a few of the coaches they are interested in. Most coaches don’t want their names connected in any official way to head coaching jobs for a number of reasons, including the fact they are still recruiting for the teams they currently work for. UNT has been having preliminary discussions and presenting what they have to offer to candidates.

I understand that possible candidates don't want it made public about their interest in the job, but I have a problem with us traveling to them. If I'm in charge of the search/hiring all interested parties come to me or have a conversation with me via skype. I would NEVER fly/drive to them....NEVER.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Okay, here I come with another potentially silly question related to this quote:

"UNT officials said right off the bat that they would like to have someone in place shortly after the end of the season so that they can get started recruiting right away."

How likely is it that this aspiration will limit our potential coaches pool to those at schools not going to bowl games (or the CFB Playoffs, as may be the case with Riley)?

It will probably only take the 4 playoff teams out of the mix for us but I doubt we are looking at the staffs of Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Iowa, Oklahoma State. This could put a wrench into Lincoln Reilly plans as OU still has a shot at making the 4. Teams will generally release assistant coaches to their new teams if they are in a regular bowl game. 

I understand that possible candidates don't want it made public about their interest in the job, but I have a problem with us traveling to them. If I'm in charge of the search/hiring all interested parties come to me or have a conversation with me via skype. I would NEVER fly/drive to them....NEVER.

Keep in mind that the coaches we are interviewing are still working, gameplanning, recruiting, coaching, etc... at their current jobs. These guys probably have been granted only a limited amount of time to interview and talk to UNT. It just isn't feasible(and maybe not allowed by the their current head coach) to take additional time to fly or drive to Denton. We may only have an hour or two with these guys and need to make any concessions we need to get the best possible candidates.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 6

Thank goodness you're not an AD.   I bet you'd have the new coach just skype with all of his potential recruiting targets too.

Isn't that what we're doing?  Trying to recruit a potential HC?

• Upvote 5

It's much easier for us to travel to a prospective coach without being noticed than vice versa.

As for talking on Skype, this is a job that could pay $1 million a year, the way some people are talking. Would you make a hire that big without doing the interview face to face?

• Upvote 4

(sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

Can't you say that is the case for just about any hire made in any organization?  You try to determine who the best candidate is for the position you are trying to fill and sometimes you just don't make the right choice.  Every hire can't be a home run.

• Upvote 3

Can't you say that is the case for just about any hire made in any organization?  You try to determine who the best candidate is for the position you are trying to fill and sometimes you just don't make the right choice.  Every hire can't be a home run.

How many trips to the plate do you get before you're released and someone gets called up from AAA?

• Upvote 3

It's much easier for us to travel to a prospective coach without being noticed than vice versa.

As for talking on Skype, this is a job that could pay $1 million a year, the way some people are talking. Would you make a hire that big without doing the interview face to face?

I would do the initial interest interview via skype, and then based on how that went, I would arrange for him to come to Denton for the "official" face to face.....in my house. As AD I wouldn't beg anyone to come and be part of the interview process. 

AND it's not the same as recruiting a player. In case some of you don't know, players are not employees, coaches are.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Problem is none of RV's football hires have been.

The only thing close to a home run in his 15 years is Johnny Jones. Out of, what, 10 hires? And that was 13 years ago? 

But keep on keeping those expectations low...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I would do the initial interest interview via skype, and then based on how that went, I would arrange for him to come to Denton for the "official" face to face.....in my house.

It's not the same as recruiting a player. In case some of you don't know, players are not employees, coaches are.

Have fun with some old retread coach and your roster full of 1*-or-less players then.

People enjoy feeling wanted.   If you're not going to show someone that you want them, someone else will.

• Upvote 1

Have fun with some old retread coach and your roster full of 1*-or-less players then.

People enjoy feeling wanted.   If you're not going to show someone that you want them, someone else will.

You mean like the one we just fired. And as I recall, RV flew to Florida a couple of times to talk with him about the job. Yeah, that method worked out real well for us.

Inviting them to come and have a face to face with me is a very good way of letting someone know they could be wanted.  But they have to show interest first.

And didn't I tell everyone that the recruitment process would be different?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I would do the initial interest interview via skype, and then based on how that went, I would arrange for him to come to Denton for the "official" face to face.....in my house. As AD I wouldn't beg anyone to come and be part of the interview process. 

AND it's not the same as recruiting a player. In case some of you don't know, players are not employees, coaches are.

Most initial interviews/indications of interest are done over the phone. Next step is face to face interview. We are paying too much money to have it over Facetime. We are also in no position to make demands of candidates regarding time and travel when they are still employed by someone else. We are at the mercy of the AD at the candidates school. If Lincoln Reilly/Mike Norvell says "Hey the phone interview was great. I'd like to formally interview for the job. I only have 1-2 hours due to my current job. Can you come up to Norman/ Phoenix?" We should be on the next flight. Period. We're not begging anyone. It's not about pride. We are doing what everyone does in this situation.

• Upvote 4

Inviting them to come and have a face to face with me is a very good way of letting someone know they could be wanted.  But they have to show interest first.

This is a weird cat-and-mouse game you are imagining. I don't think any FBS program would ever sit back and wait for coaches to visit them to prove they were really interested.

By the time a school official talks to a prospective coach, it would already have been made clear that person was interested in the job. His agent would have contacted the school privately to determine its interest. People he knew would've put out feelers.

The same is true in the opposite direction.

Nobody wants to take the PR hit of being seen going after a [job|coach] that has no chance of happening.

• Upvote 1

Vito, tell me how many coaches are hired at places that are not major re-building jobs?  He and some posters seem to think NT will be lucky to get anyone to take on this herculean task of NT football.  

If the coach is afraid of the challenge, than it is better for both parties to go another way.   Coaching at NT is a challenge, just like it is at the majority of G5 schools and lower tier P5's.  

• Upvote 3

Problem is none of RV's football hires have been.

The only thing close to a home run in his 15 years is Johnny Jones. Out of, what, 10 hires? And that was 13 years ago? 

But keep on keeping those expectations low...

My expectations have never been low. I want us to win as much as the next person sitting in the stands. It's just that my life will never revolve around the successes or failures of the sports programs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's just that my life will never revolve around the successes or failures of the sports programs.

It is possible to be fanatical about your alma mater's football team without your entire life revolving around it.

Or so I've been told.

Gotta run. My sons Jamario and Booger need help with their homework.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

A few things:

1.) Brett Vito's blog really, really suggest that he has no insight about this opening being filled at all. For some reason, that just seems pathetic, since he is the only person that covers us in the media, but that's how things seem to roll around here.

2.) Chris Thomsen fits the description perfectly for what we want--previous head coach, current P5 assistant head coach, someone who specializes in coaching linemen, which Mac was supposed to be great at, as well, but just mailed it all in after he got his extension. The OL is the only part of this team, besides RB, that I think we have solid potential in developing decent talent from the current pool of players. Nowhere else on offense, nowhere on defense...

3.) Lincoln Riley had great success at G5 East Carolina, so it should translate to us if he came here, right? Not necessarily...ECU is probably one of the dozen G5 schools that would easily transition to P5 status if they were given the chance, like UH, Boise State, UCF, USF, Fresno State, SDSU, and others. They have awesome fan attendance and support. We are basically the exact opposite of ECU in just about every way imaginable right now, in terms of G5 programs.

4.) Why no mention of Sonny Cumbie in all of this? Has he made it clear he is not interested in coming here from TCU? That guy is a great offensive coach, turned Boykin at TCU into a Heisman hopeful, and has some solid name recognition in this state from his QB days at Tech under Leach, as well as his job as the co-OC at TCU right now.

5.) I just don't see how anyone can believe that RV will get this hire right. I can't believe that there are people in leadership that are allowing him to make this hire after the last 10 years of mostly epic levels of suckitude, culminated with the $2.1 million dollar buyout of McCarney because of the 66-7 crushing on Homecoming against FCS Portland State. .