MGB: "Fire Rick Villarreal" banner flies in Denton

Brett Vito

you're really on Brett b/c he wasn't the first to publish this "news"? without of course realizing that he was the only one to give you a few hundred words as opposed to a few hundred grammatically-poor characters? and the only one to link to the next gofundme...let's say, "project"?

I've never understood how Vito has ended up in so many's cross-hairs.  he's done a damn fine job considering the resources and access at his disposal for the past decade...he's also incredibly responsive, both to personal inquiries and the general mood/whims of this idiot-box, but in the end he's also just a beat writer...not an investigative journalist and not a shock-jock.

you may not be able to do a whole lot worse than RV, but you certainly can with Vito.

Ok, you win. It gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its probably the thing I understand the least about this fan base.  Our chicken shit AD won't even give their only beat reporter a parking pass.... Yet people are pissed that he's not constantly breaking stories.  

and given so many poster's views on Denton culture, if he opted for a bike everyone would call him a hipster.

mans in a no-win situation, really.

• Upvote 2

Its probably the thing I understand the least about this fan base.  Our chicken shit AD won't even give their only beat reporter a parking pass.... Yet people are pissed that he's not constantly breaking stories throwing any and every unconfirmable-rumour that goes flying around onto the blog on into the paper as if it's the facts.  

• Upvote 4

What AD hired Todd Dodge, Dan McCarney, Tony Benford, Shanice Stephens, and Mike Peterson?

I seem to remember the geniuses of this board were excited about all or most of those hires. 

I'm not sure if Rick Villarreal is the right person to direct UNT athletics from this point on but I do know he has accomplishments we should all be grateful for.  If he must go so be it, but the comments (and the banner, are classless - in my opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Really?!?!?! I hope this is ignorance looking for answers. If not, you are contributing to our decades old ailment of dontgiveafukalitis. 

You really need to learn how to use humor to make your point.

It will serve your future well, son.

I seem to remember the geniuses of this board were excited about all or most of those hires. 

I'm not sure if Rick Villarreal is the right person to direct UNT athletics from this point on but I do know he has accomplishments we should all be grateful for.  If he must go so be it, but the comments (and the banner, are classless - in my opinion.

And if everyone in this fanbase were like you, we would continue losing for the next 10 years with RV at the helm.

In my opinion.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

This board also had detractors who didn't like hiring a high school coach like Dodge and didn't like hiring a coach like McCarney with a losing record. I wasn't one of those people, because I was in hope-for-the-best mode, but to state we all loved the hires is not true.

People who want a change at AD know that RV had some accomplishments, primarily in facilities. But the last 10 years is such a massive failure on the field in revenue sports that to leave him in place is to accept mediocrity.

If the letter-writing campaign had not been ignored completely -- I'm not aware of a single letter to President Smatresk that got an actual response -- and RV had not publicly dismissed our concerns as a "minority" of fans, there might not have been a banner at all.

• Upvote 5

This board also had detractors who didn't like hiring a high school coach like Dodge and didn't like hiring a coach like McCarney with a losing record. I wasn't one of those people, because I was in hope-for-the-best mode, but to state we all loved the hires is not true.

People who want a change at AD know that RV had some accomplishments, primarily in facilities. But the last 10 years is such a massive failure on the field in revenue sports that to leave him in place is to accept mediocrity.

If the letter-writing campaign had not been ignored completely -- I'm not aware of a single letter to President Smatresk that got an actual response -- and RV had not publicly dismissed our concerns as a "minority" of fans, there might not have been a banner at all.

I know of one letter that got a response.

By RV.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1