Welcome Tennessee fans

Harry

Don't forget Sam Houston.

Ah, yes, how could I forget our first elected president and the man that made Santa Anna surrender. Thanks buddy.

I'm a Texans fan before Cowboys fan, but Jason Witten, also.

Well if we are gonna play that game, they need to thank us for the Oilers. I'm still pissed off about that. F'n Bud Adams. May he rest in misery with all the Oiler fans he crapped on.

• Upvote 2

No, I was quite aware of that fact. I see no point in kicking an opponent while they are down, certainly not one whom we are playing for only the second time in 40 years. Now, if a snobbish Florida or Alabama fan was to come on our cyberturf and conduct himself in a disrespectful manner, that would be a different story. The fact that you guys have stood by the Mean Green through such a dismal season and actually managed to maintain some sense of humor, as evidenced by some of these threads, is, in itself, worthy of praise.

Thanks. Some on here said no one in college football noticed.

They are obviously wrong.

• Upvote 2

To the fans making the trip I look forward to seeing you in East Tennessee.  You will be treated well and our fans will will welcome you into our tailgates.  Looking forward to evening the series and meeting some Mean Green fans in Knoxville.  There are some quality posters on this board and thank you for letting me visit this week

• Upvote 6

Oh!  You're talking about me.   Not wrong, sir.    We are their opponent this week!   DUH!  They're going to know about their direct opponent.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I just thought I would say this before 90 says it and insults you in the process.

90's point was that they knew about our humiliating defeat well before they were thinking about us as their opponent.  I could be wrong, but I got the impression from Rex's post that he would have heard of something that embarrassing even if they were not playing us at all this season.  Of course, we may never know if that is true or not, so maybe we don't have to spend time speculating.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the welcome Mean Green! And let me say that I understand your frustration although times are finally changing for us and they will for you guys also.

I hope to see some Green shirts walking around before the game. I feel comfortable in saying to come join us at any of the tailgating party's and enjoy some great food and football conversation. You will be guaranteed to leave with a full stomach and slurred speech. We have many traditions at Tennessee like the Vol Navy, Vol Walk, running through the T and the checker board end zones. Come and share some with us this weekend.

Regarding the final score...our coach is not the type to run the score up on another team. Not in his DNA! Here is to a good clean football game and GO VOLS! 

• Upvote 5

I'm not trying to argue with you, I just thought I would say this before 90 says it and insults you in the process.

90's point was that they knew about our humiliating defeat well before they were thinking about us as their opponent.  I could be wrong, but I got the impression from Rex's post that he would have heard of something that embarrassing even if they were not playing us at all this season.  Of course, we may never know if that is true or not, so maybe we don't have to spend time speculating.

Understood, but on the other side of this, we're all hardcore fans of North Texas.   Any Vol fans who comes on this message board is also going to be a hardcore fans of the Vols.  
Tennessee has been on the schedule all year.  I knew to keep an eye on them this year because they're our direct opponent.  Week1 or week 13, it doesn't matter.   I think the hardcore Vols fans would be the same way.   So, when they see a 66-7 score between UNT and Portland St, they're going to pay attention to that, because we're their direct opponent.  "Oh, hey!  We play North Texas this year!   Wow!  I can't believe they lost that badly."   Whereas a fan of a different SEC school, say Missouri, would see the same score on ESPN and say, "Ouch!  Sucks for the Armadillos." and quickly forget because it means nothing to them.   

As for Tennessee, because I've known to pay more attention to them than most other schools, I know they're not doing as well as they'd like this season, but they had a nice win VS their hated rivals: GA.  Unfortunately, we're the lucky ones they get to play for bowl eligibility.  As for a team like GA, I don't really know how their season is going other than whatever highlights of their games are on ESPN, which I quickly forget because they don't concern me... because they're not playing us and they're not challenging for any kind of title.   In the same vein, I would challenge some of our Volunteer friends to tell us about UTEP's season without googling.  They probably don't have a clue, because UTEP isn't on their schedule.

It will be fun to test my hypothesis next year with any Florida fans who join us.  If the Portland State loss is as terrible as you guys say, I would expect to see them say something like. "Hey, didn't y'all lose by 50+ points to a FCS school last year?".   My guess is that they won't remember that, but only have an opinion about our team based on the overall record this year and the SMU & Bethune-Cookman games prior to playing them... especially the BCU game, because that's usually their FCS beat-down team.

TL;DR - Digging my feet in.  Portland St loss will not define North Texas because no one outside of NT fans or fans of our direct opponents care enough to allow it to define us.

• Upvote 2

No oldguystudent... it is not. Just trying to have a logical conversation with an opposing fan base. Just stating that if the score gets out of hand he will pull the starters quickly. He is not one of those type coaches. Never has been through his coaching career. 

I can tell by your post and other fans on here that your season has been very hard to live with. Again... we as Tennessee fans know EXACTLY how you feel. It's no secret what has happened to us over the last 5-6 years. 

• Upvote 1

No oldguystudent... it is not. Just trying to have a logical conversation with an opposing fan base. Just stating that if the score gets out of hand he will pull the starters quickly. He is not one of those type coaches. Never has been through his coaching career. 

I can tell by your post and other fans on here that your season has been very hard to live with. Again... we as Tennessee fans know EXACTLY how you feel. It's no secret what has happened to us over the last 5-6 years. 

To be fair, pulling your starters early won't stop the score from rising. Even if you dive left, dive right with your back ups in... This defensive coordinator Cosh is a plague. But we do appreciate the kind sentiment lol.

So you know from everyone's favorite AD to you:

b5aQdyZ.gif

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 4

TL;DR - Digging my feet in.  Portland St loss will not define North Texas because no one outside of NT fans or fans of our direct opponents care enough to allow it to define us.

Um, what else do they have to go on the past decade?

We just have to hope more people within the NT community cares enough to affect change over the next decade.

Understood, but on the other side of this, we're all hardcore fans of North Texas.   Any Vol fans who comes on this message board is also going to be a hardcore fans of the Vols.  Tennessee has been on the schedule all year.  I knew to keep an eye on them this year because they're our direct opponent.  Week1 or week 13, it doesn't matter.   I think the hardcore Vols fans would be the same way.   So, when they see a 66-7 score between UNT and Portland St, they're going to pay attention to that, because we're their direct opponent.  "Oh, hey!  We play North Texas this year!   Wow!  I can't believe they lost that badly."   Whereas a fan of a different SEC school, say Missouri, would see the same score on ESPN and say, "Ouch!  Sucks for the Armadillos." and quickly forget because it means nothing to them.   

As for Tennessee, because I've known to pay more attention to them than most other schools, I know they're not doing as well as they'd like this season, but they had a nice win VS their hated rivals: GA.  Unfortunately, we're the lucky ones they get to play for bowl eligibility.  As for a team like GA, I don't really know how their season is going other than whatever highlights of their games are on ESPN, which I quickly forget because they don't concern me... because they're not playing us and they're not challenging for any kind of title.   In the same vein, I would challenge some of our Volunteer friends to tell us about UTEP's season without googling.  They probably don't have a clue, because UTEP isn't on their schedule.

It will be fun to test my hypothesis next year with any Florida fans who join us.  If the Portland State loss is as terrible as you guys say, I would expect to see them say something like. "Hey, didn't y'all lose by 50+ points to a FCS school last year?".   My guess is that they won't remember that, but only have an opinion about our team based on the overall record this year and the SMU & Bethune-Cookman games prior to playing them... especially the BCU game, because that's usually their FCS beat-down team.

So now all hardcore fans of people we play this year will know about it. 

The "in the know" crowd appears to be Expanding, because that is not what you initially said.

What about next year's opponent's fans? Will they know? How long into next season do we have to go before those fans won't know?

And will there be a East Carolina fan asking a SMU fan "who do y'all play this week" and the SMU fan responding "UNT, you know, that team that got blown out by an FCS last year?"

But you are right, the only ones that know about it are hardcore UNT fans...

Why does the younger generation get so butt hurt when someone challenges what they say? 

Its not "insulting" because I disagree with you. Get off the teet. 

• Upvote 2

To be fair, pulling your starters early won't stop the score from rising. Even if you dive left, dive right with your back ups in... This defensive coordinator Cosh is a plague. But we do appreciate the kind sentiment lol.

Just got word another Vol is out for the year. We are VERY thin, so you all may see a lot of back ups early in the game. And Josh is injured also. Butch is still relatively new for us (year 3), and we have not had very many "put away" games with him. But, as Danny says, his history does not look like he would run up the score and Tennessee does not traditionally do so either.

Hope everyone who gets to come enjoys all the Tennessee traditions and is warmly welcomed. Just like every fan base we have some of "those", so, if you encounter one, go on to the next true Vol and you will be treated well.

Just a mention, Calhouns on the River is good...will be swamped. There is also a Calhouns in Bearden (Kingston Pike), some good places in the Old City and Market Square. Also Littons and The Creamery in Fountain City (Broadway @ Essary and Hotel respectively). There will be no non-permitted parking on campus, but uptown and across Cumberland (the Strip) are possibilities. The Strip is the UT students' area, will be restaurants, bars, etc. There is a website to check for traffic conditions.

ENJOY!

• Upvote 4

The "in the know" crowd appears to be Expanding, because that is not what you initially said.

What about next year's opponent's fans? Will they know? How long into next season do we have to go before those fans won't know?

And will there be a East Carolina fan asking a SMU fan "who do y'all play this week" and the SMU fan responding "UNT, you know, that team that got blown out by an FCS last year?"

This probably needs to move to the thread you're referencing...   but to point out "what I initially said":  

You guys are really ignoring the bigger problem of apathy regarding North Texas sports.   I don't think people will remember that loss any more than people will remember the HoD Bowl win.

Newsflash:  Outside of the people who post on this very forum, and maybe a couple-hundred other people, no one really cares about NT athletics.

This is what I originally said.   You believe this to be untrue.  I don't.   The HoD bowl win was 2 seasons ago.  It has faded.   Recall Texas fans' banter on here when they were slated to be our first game the next season.   "North Texas is not to be taken lightly... 9-4 last season... won the HoD Bowl..."    Did the Iowa fans even mention the 2013 season or the HoD Bowl?
Just like everything else, it's 'what have you done lately?'

Again, it will be an interesting case study next year when the Florida fans show up on here next year.  Hopefully they'll be concerned about facing a 2-0 team that just demolished Bethune-Cookman 66-7.  I highly doubt they bring up Portland State though.

This probably needs to move to the thread you're referencing...   but to point out "what I initially said":  

This is what I originally said.   You believe this to be untrue.  I don't.   The HoD bowl win was 2 seasons ago.  It has faded.   Recall Texas fans' banter on here when they were slated to be our first game the next season.   "North Texas is not to be taken lightly... 9-4 last season... won the HoD Bowl..."    Did the Iowa fans even mention the 2013 season or the HoD Bowl?
Just like everything else, it's 'what have you done lately?'

Again, it will be an interesting case study next year when the Florida fans show up on here next year.  Hopefully they'll be concerned about facing a 2-0 team that just demolished Bethune-Cookman 66-7.  I highly doubt they bring up Portland State though.

I know of two Florida fans that will know about the Portland State debacle....

I know of two Florida fans that will know about the Portland State debacle....

These Florida fans...  are they friends/family of yours?  
If so, do you think they would give a flying flip about it if they did not know you... because you're such an ardent supporter of UNT?  They would bring it up to give you a hard time, or have something to talk to you about, because they know you care about UNT athletics.   You're probably the only person they know (other than Army of Mom) that cares about UNT athletics?

I'm talking about the Florida fans who DO NOT know any UNT fans.   The number of those fans would obliterate the number of Florida fans that DO know UNT fans... something like 1000-to-1.

These Florida fans...  are they friends/family of yours?  If so, do you think they would give a flying flip about it if they did not know you... because you're such an ardent supporter of UNT?  They would bring it up to give you a hard time, or have something to talk to you about, because they know you care about UNT athletics.   You're probably the only person they know (other than Army of Mom) that cares about UNT athletics?

I'm talking about the Florida fans who DO NOT know any UNT fans.   The number of those fans would obliterate the number of Florida fans that DO know UNT fans... something like 1000-to-1.

Well why didn't you say so in the first place!

For the sake of full disclosure, MeanGreenTexan accurately characterized the context of my awareness of your loss to Portland State. Because you are on our current schedule, I have paid more attention to the course of North Texas' season this year than I ordinarily would. I was not aware that the Portland State game was your homecoming; that must have made it particularly difficult to stomach. In this era of what I call "slide-rule" football, where the pigskin moves up and down the field with hardly a semblance of defense, pinball-like scores have become fairly commonplace; the average fan may well have looked at that score and thought, "good day offensively for Portland State," and then dismissed it without further consideration.

Incidentally, I would strongly advise Mean Green fans not to attend the Florida game at the "Swamp." As nonconference opponents, you probably would not be subjected to the full arsenal of their venom, but Tennessee fans who attended games there have reported a very warm reception, as in being splashed with cups of urine. I do not believe that Florida fans share our sense of hospitality toward visitors. They have enjoyed a lot of success over the last twenty-five years but have a "Johnny-come-lately" attitude when it comes to their place in the history of college football. By comparison, the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry is fiercely contested but predicated on decades of respect, due to the fact that General Neyland, Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Bear Bryant, Johnny Majors, and Phil Fulmer all viewed this clash of orange vs. crimson as the annual measuring stick of their respective programs.  Florida is the program that we truly despise and, more than anything else, it stems from the fact that they have never learned to win with grace and lose with dignity.

Incidentally, for what it is worth, my brother encountered Syracuse fans at Neyland during our 2001 game with the Orangemen. They commented on how graciously they had been greeted in Knoxville and contrasted it sharply to the rude reception they received at the 1999 Orange Bowl, when they played the Reptilian Horde.  So, Mean Green fans, be forewarned about visiting the Swamp.

Edited by Volosaurus rex
  • Upvote 3

Why does the younger generation get so butt hurt when someone challenges what they say? 

Its not "insulting" because I disagree with you. Get off the teet. 

A little much  ***Editied by KingDL1***

Haha, j/k, idgaf.  But you are often insulting, bro.  I'm not talking about saying "you're wrong, and here's why I believe so."  I'm talking about name-calling which you must admit you've done.  Maybe you're right and it is my generation or maybe it's how mama raised me, but I feel like any time I want to call someone names, I'm already wrong.

EDIT:  you can probably find examples from when i first got on here where I did exactly what I'm condemning now, but I'm not as hot-headed as I once was.  Hopefully that means I've matured.  Also, I'm not gonna condemn anyone who is still a hothead because I remember the uncontrollable burning itch passion.  But if I can spare someone from becoming entangled in interminable bickering, I'll try.

Incidentally, I would strongly advise Mean Green fans not to attend the Florida game at the "Swamp." As nonconference opponents, you probably would not be subjected to the full arsenal of their venom, but Tennessee fans who attended games there have reported a very warm reception, as in being splashed with cups of urine.

Did you know that Florida won a national championship?

• Upvote 4

Did you know that Florida won a national championship?

Of course, they won one under Steve Spurrier (1996) and two under Urban Meyer (2006, 2008). They also were absolutely massacred in the 1996 Orange Bowl by one of Nebraska's greatest teams, 62-24. We enjoyed that game almost as much as our Citrus Bowl victory (20-14) over Eddie George and Ohio State.