Jake Spavital Candidate

mgfan

Yeah, best friend is a Senior at A&M. Says Spavital has some really questionable play calling and isn't producing well with the amount of talent they have. I think Kingsbury/Sumlin had more to do with A&M's recent offensive success than Spavital did. Most A&M fans want him gone

Sounds like the bar would be set low by hiring him.  Well, that means he is right in UNT's wheelhouse. 

• Downvote 4

Yeah, best friend is a Senior at A&M. Says Spavital has some really questionable play calling and isn't producing well with the amount of talent they have. I think Kingsbury/Sumlin had more to do with A&M's recent offensive success than Spavital did. Most A&M fans want him gone

Aggie fans are almost as bad as Tech fans.  On the whole, their knee-jerk skills are simply incredible.    A&M is 6-2 (ranked 25th) with only 1 poor offensive performance against Ole Miss.  One stinker and the A&M fan base is ready to fire him.

He would be a heckuva hire.  There is no better recruiter in the conversation.  He's a Sumlin-only guy, so that doesn't help him develop HC strategies, but again, there are only a few recruiters out there better than him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aggie fans are almost as bad as Tech fans.  On the whole, their knee-jerk skills are simply incredible.    A&M is 6-2 (ranked 25th) with only 1 poor offensive performance against Ole Miss.  One stinker and the A&M fan base is ready to fire him.

He would be a heckuva hire.  There is no better recruiter in the conversation.  He's a Sumlin-only guy, so that doesn't help him develop HC strategies, but again, there are only a few recruiters out there better than him.

Well, they've put it on his wiki page so its gotta be true.

Since Spavital was assigned as the full-time offensive coordinator in 2014, the vaunted Aggie offense has regressed each year in overall production, creativity, output, and player development. On October 24, 2015, after the second straight dismal offensive performance by Spavital's unit, Texas A&M lost to Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi by a score of 23-3, leading to thousands of Texas A&M fans calling for Spavital's firing.

• Upvote 1

well, it's a good thing Tech was able to snag him! sounds like they should have no problem in the Big 12(-2)  for the next 10 years!

i think coordinators are great... but a young coordinator is not by any means a sure thing. they are limited in experience/knowledge of the NCAA game and dont have the full knowledge of what it takes to run an entire team. I'm not saying it can't work, im just saying let's be a little more realistic with our expectations.

that A&M success back in 2012 was built by Sherman recruiting the hell out of some offensive lineman. he left a full cupboard and Sumlin (an experienced head coach) was able to put the pieces together in a way Sherman would never have been able to, which lead to the success they had. 

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

well, it's a good thing Tech was able to snag him! sounds like they should have no problem in the Big 12(-2)  for the next 10 years!

i think coordinators are great... but a young coordinator is not by any means a sure thing. they are limited in experience/knowledge of the NCAA game and dont have the full knowledge of what it takes to run an entire team. I'm not saying it can't work, im just saying let's be a little more realistic with our expectations.

that A&M success back in 2012 was built by Sherman recruiting the hell out of some offensive lineman. he left a full cupboard and Sumlin (an experienced head coach) was able to put the pieces together in a way Sherman would never have been able to, which lead to the success they had. 

Let us not get experience and age confused here.

Kingsbury was 31 when he became co-OC at UH. He was 33 for the one season he was OC at A&M. He became TT's head coach at age 34 with one year of experience as the sole OC of a program and only 5 years coaching experience(all at the FBS level).

Kendal Briles is 32 and in his first season as OC. This is his 8th year coaching(all at the FBS level).

Lincoln Riley is also 32 but he is in his 6th season as a sole OC at a FBS school. He is in this 13th year coaching at the FBS level.

• Upvote 2