counterpoint to banners

flyonthewall

KxN92g6.gif

Janis said "One day up near Salinas, Lord...I let him slip away. He's lookin' for that home, and I hope he finds it."

She also said "Freedom's just another word for nuthin' left to lose...nuthin', and that's what RV left me."

Edited by EagleMBA
add

Well, instead of quietly letting RV contract expire in a few months they choose to show support for him and give him a new contract. Don't forget, it appears only 22 people paid for the banner.

I read talk of a that the letter writing campaign failed but how many letters were actually written. Not emails, those don't count. Actual, physical letters. How many? If it's less than 50, then that's hardly a "campaign." I suggest getting at least 200 people who are current donors to the Mean Green club to write actually letters to the President and each of the regents. That will get noticed. 

On a completely different note, if you go away then come back and try to post a reply how do you get rid of the multiple quotes? I can add more, but not take them away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, keep in mind this would have never come up if RV hadn't said a "minority" wanted him to resign or get fired. After the poll on this website of the most hardcore fans finished 151-11 for RV to go. 

That was basic giving us a big F you. Well, he gets it back Oct 31. I think he severely underestimated how mad the loss to Portland St made this fan base. And he definitely didn't measure his comments when responding to his accountability.

According to the GMG Site statistics, there are 13,687 Members of the GMG Board and the most online at any one time was 1,438. 162 people participated in the poll, in my mind that is a minority any way you slice it! You may not like it, but facts are facts.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

According to the GMG Site statistics, there are 13,687 Members of the GMG Board and the most online at any one time was 1,438. 162 people participated in the poll, in my mind that is a minority any way you slice it! You may not like it, but facts are facts.

FYI that's not how statistics work. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 5

Well, instead of quietly letting RV contract expire in a few months they choose to show support for him and give him a new contract.

Your theory is that they might be ready to dump Rick Villarreal when his contract expires, but if fans fly a "Fire Rick Villarreal" banner they will be so offended by this they extend his contract? Complicated!

Anybody in UNT leadership who wants RV out will use the banner to help make their case. It shows fans are hopping mad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That is the most response any poll on this website has ever received. 

A lot of those 13,687 stopped caring about UNT athletics years ago. There are maybe, what, 300 or so active posters on here? Maybe a mod can help us out with this. 

So that's a pretty good indication of how the hard core fans feel. Keep in mind, it wasn't a 60%-40% split. The numbers were 151-11. That's about 96% in favor of dismissal.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It's funny to hear people say we don't matter when they've come to this board to read what we think.

GMG represents a core following for UNT that any president or AD would be foolish to consider irrelevant. You're not going to find a group anywhere else of fans who care more about our teams, going back decades.

Giant corporations track random Twitter mentions because they fear going viral on social media for pissing customers off. We're the people talking the most about the Mean Green online. I don't think it would be wise to write us off as a "minority."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If we fire fire the AD today we basically lose a recruiting class and our best shot at all  the best available coaches as we ensure that we won't have a head coach until next year. Does anyone really want that scenario?

If it's this option or having our current AD make the new hire, then I will take this option.

• Upvote 2

If we fire fire the AD today we basically lose a recruiting class and our best shot at all  the best available coaches as we ensure that we won't have a head coach until next year. Does anyone really want that scenario?

I think you overestimate how much time it would take for a new AD to be brought in and start working on the football program.

Recruiting classes are about the coach, not the AD. Even if we have a new AD and coach in place tomorrow the first year of recruiting is going to be a massive uphill trek. That's unavoidable.

Keeping RV means letting him put his stamp on football for another five years with the next coaching hire. You really want that?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's funny to hear people say we don't matter when they've come to this board to read what we think.

GMG represents a core following for UNT that any president or AD would be foolish to consider irrelevant. You're not going to find a group anywhere else of fans who care more about our teams, going back decades.

Giant corporations track random Twitter mentions because they fear going viral on social media for pissing customers off. We're the people talking the most about the Mean Green online. I don't think it would be wise to write us off as a "minority."

I'm not writing off anyone, just stating that there is a misconception that 161 or 300 people constitute any kind of majority in the grand scheme of things at North Texas. It's easy and factual for Rick to claim that the calls for his ouster are coming from a minority of supporters. I also don't agree with your assessment that "I won't find a group anywhere who care more about our teams", I know more than 161 folks that support UNT Athletics and aren't part of this board. That said, I'm certain everyone on this board cares and are probably the most vocal or they wouldn't have taken the time to register and post here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I'm not writing off anyone, just stating that there is a misconception that 161 or 300 people constitute any kind of majority in the grand scheme of things at North Texas. It's easy and factual for Rick to claim that the calls for his ouster are coming from a minority of supporters. I also don't agree with your assessment that "I won't find a group anywhere who care more about our teams", I know more than 161 folks that support UNT Athletics and aren't part of this board. That said, I'm certain everyone on this board cares and are probably the most vocal or they wouldn't have taken the time to register and post here.

Actually...162 people voted on that poll...there are what...850 MGC members? I can probably say it's safe to assume that most of the 162 are MGC members. That is 20 percent of the MGC if all 162 that voted for him to be fired are in the MGC. Of that 162, 151 voted for him to be fired. Pretty good sample size of the people that donate to fund scholarships for our athletes if you ask me. 96% of that sample size said...good riddance to the man. So, assuming that the other 688 had a chance to vote...660 of the remaining 688 MGC members that did not get a chance to vote would vote for him to be fired or resign. I will go out on another limb...that percentage would probably not be that high in favor of a no, but I would safely say that 80% is a solid figure. And that might be low balling it. 

Bottom line to alllllllll of this...Rick Villareal is not very good at his job. Never has been. He needs to be let go or given the opportunity to peacefully resign. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's easy and factual for Rick to claim that the calls for his ouster are coming from a minority of supporters.

Unless you're in Smatresk's office reading the email and counting the phone calls, you don't know the size of the angry mob wielding pitchforks.

I run message boards and websites. You're making too much out of those user numbers. They count people with accounts who are logged in pretty well, but people who aren't logged in, have cookies turned off or don't have accounts at all aren't counted very accurately.

Besides, in any group of people who care about something, only a small percentage will be vocal. That doesn't mean our viewpoint is a minority. We could be fully in touch with the sentiments of the fan base, given the sea of empty seats at the last two games.

Since you know over 161 people who care about UNT athletics as much as us, go ask them how they're feeling about RV. I bet you'll find a majority are ready for the merry-go-round of suck to come to a stop.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well, instead of quietly letting RV contract expire in a few months they choose to show support for him and give him a new contract. Don't forget, it appears only 22 people paid for the banner.

I read talk of a that the letter writing campaign failed but how many letters were actually written. Not emails, those don't count. Actual, physical letters. How many? If it's less than 50, then that's hardly a "campaign." I suggest getting at least 200 people who are current donors to the Mean Green club to write actually letters to the President and each of the regents. That will get noticed. 

On a completely different note, if you go away then come back and try to post a reply how do you get rid of the multiple quotes? I can add more, but not take them away. 

In what world do you think email is invalid? 1985?

Hey, do you happen to own a DeLorean?

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 4

My response, as it usually is, to many things I read people losing their minds on here is my avatar.

I would add, something I don't see a lot of mention of is how firing RV immediately impacts big donor $$ coming in.  I presume that we stand a better chance of funding our next coach's salary and, more specifically, the amount of money we'll have available for our assistant coaching pool if RV stays.  Simply put, if keeping RV means we have a lot more to spend then I think this is a pretty simple decision that our leaders have to make---you keep him.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

Hell...not even all the mgc members that are on this site voted...

In the grand scheme of things, I honestly don't care if rv stays or goes...I really don't think what we, as a community of diehards, matter.

Is north texas ever going to be in a huge ass conference that matters??? Probably not...I'm ok with that...I just want to tailgate and watch football with my kid...

I know that isn't a proactive stance or one that will evoke change, it's more of a "keep the status quo and shut up" kind of stance, but shit, I don't care enough to even care...

Just give me another beer.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Not sure you really know what your talking about. 

ADs don't keep recruiting classes together. Besides we don't really have a class together. It's like 4 guys. 

The best available coaches will come after RV is gone and a stable situation is in place. Why apply when an AD is possibly going to get the ax? Then you have a new boss who didn't hire you. 

The situation at UNT is toxic right now.  

• Upvote 4