If RV cared about North Texas (A message to RV)

UNT90

He would contact Pres. Smatresk and negotiate a buy out. 

Just walk away before you cause a huge amount of pain to this university with what is bound to occur in the remaining home football games.

This fan base is FINALLY angry. They finally reached the point of saying no more. You know how college athletics goes. You know what this will cost this university if YOU insist on drawing this thing out. You know it will be extremely ugly. 

Do the right and honorable thing. You have become far too polarizing a figure to effectively lead this AD. Deep down, you know it.

Please, walk away and save everyone from these coming weeks.

@Glad To Be Green 

I'm not convinced of this part...

• Upvote 4

We are in the best conference we've ever been in, we have the best facilities we've ever had, our non-revenue sports teams are very good. Did all that happen in spite of RV or would anyone here admit he has actually done some positive things for this university. Way more so than he predecessor ever did.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

We are in the best conference we've ever been in, we have the best facilities we've ever had, our non-revenue sports teams are very good. Did all that happen in spite of RV or would anyone here admit he has actually done some positive things for this university. Way more so than he predecessor ever did.

While this might be true, these things don't offset the apathy that has been so pervasive because of a lackluster product on the field. He's hired terrible coaches.  What you're pointing out is akin to rearranging the deckchairs.

• Upvote 4

Don't be surprised if an eagle's head ends up in your bed...wrapped in a gently used Jimmy John's wrapper.

That's a routine Friday night in G town. 

All well and good. But he can't win. He's had 15 years and failed miserably. His hires consistently fail. The last loss wiped out any respect from the bowl win and we are right back to being the laughing stock of college football, where we have been during most of his tenure.

15 years and nothing has changed in that respect. 

If you like failure, by all means keep RV.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

the non-revenue teams are very good?

there are a couple of good ones, but that is by no means an a cross the board proposition.

• Upvote 3

While this might be true, these things don't offset the apathy that has been so pervasive because of a lackluster product on the field. He's hired terrible coaches.  What you're pointing out is akin to rearranging the deckchairs.

Apathy? You must not have been here under Helwig. I remember when RV got here he had to try to trade students a UNT shirt for their OU/UT/A&M shirts to wear AT UNT. It was ridiculous. When I arrived during the Helwig years we were in the Big West and orientation didn't even tell us where Fouts Field or the Superpit were.

Maybe he should get fired, if he hadn't gotten rid of Mandy, I'd be yelling to fire him too. I just don't want to totally bash the man, he has made mistakes but he has also done many positive things for the school.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

Apathy? You must not have been here under Helwig. I remember when RV got here he had to try to trade students a UNT shirt for their OU/UT/A&M shirts to wear AT UNT. It was ridiculous. When I arrived during the Helwig years we were in the Big West and orientation didn't even tell us where Fouts Field or the Superpit were.

Actually, Emmitt started that. Not RV.

So because we have progressed a millimeter, you are ok with it. Because it "isn't as bad as when I was in school," you are perfectly fine.

Thankfully, a lot of us have decided that isn't good enough.

• Downvote 1

Actually, Emmitt started that. Not RV.

So because we have progressed a millimeter, you are ok with it. Because it "isn't as bad as when I was in school," you are perfectly fine.

Thankfully, a lot of us have decided that isn't good enough.

I doubt that RV makes it out of this mess. I'm sure he will get fired because of your letter campaigns and the like. However, I will not ignore that he has done many positive things for this school. I just pray that his replacement isn't worse. Because we have no idea if Smatresk is any better at picking athletic directors than RV is at picking coaches.

Smatresk hired 2 athletic directors while at UNLV. The first hired Bobby Hauck, you remember him, the guy we beat in the HOD bowl that got fired the following season. His second athletic director hired the Todd Dodge of Nevada. But you guys are right, Smatresk could only find gold in an AD.

OH, and Emmitt, thanks for doing the t-shirt thing. I thought that was an RV idea. My fault. Credit where credit is due.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I doubt that RV makes it out of this mess. I'm sure he will get fired because of your letter campaigns and the like. However, I will not ignore that he has done many positive things for this school. I just pray that his replacement isn't worse. Because we have no idea if Smatresk is any better at picking athletic directors than RV is at picking coaches.

Smatresk hired 2 athletic directors while at UNLV. The first hired Bobby Hauck, you remember him, the guy we beat in the HOD bowl that got fired the following season. His second athletic director hired the Todd Dodge of Nevada. But you guys are right, Smatresk could only find gold in an AD.

OH, and Emmitt, thanks for doing the t-shirt thing. I thought that was an RV idea. My fault. Credit where credit is due.

Look, I have huge trepidations about who this university will hire to replace RV, especially after the Portland St game has given life to the kill football idiot crowd, BUT I think it's worth taking a chance. When has this university ever done that? 

It took a lot of RV mistakes to get me to this point. I know all the possibilities.

If you think I'm negative, you are wrong. I believe we are in the position finally to hire the right AD. I consider that optimism. I consider negativity accepting that we will always be the worst team in college football. What's clear is that is what we will continue to be with this AD at the helm. 

Oh, the letter writing campaign isn't my idea, it's Cerebus's. He actually persuaded me to finally let the Prez know how I feel. If it works and RV gets fired, it is because the 115 people on this board, along with who knows how many lurkers, who want to see him go decided to do something about it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We took a chance on Dodge and Benford and they blew up in our face. We hired Peterson and McCarney who were supposed to be "safe" hires and those blew up in our face as well. I fear change and worry our replacement AD won't be able to schmooze the big donors and with all due respect to the po' folks like me, we need those big donors, BAD. Without them, McCarney is still the coach for 2 or 3 more years.

• Upvote 1

We took a chance on Dodge and Benford and they blew up in our face. We hired Peterson and McCarney who were supposed to be "safe" hires and those blew up in our face as well. I fear change and worry our replacement AD won't be able to schmooze the big donors and with all due respect to the po' folks like me, we need those big donors, BAD. Without them, McCarney is still the coach for 2 or 3 more years.

The right AD will cultivate 2 to 3 times as many big donors. The fact that this university is the 4th largest in the state and has a mere 17 large donors is an indictment of RV, not a reason to keep him.

You have to stop thinking like this is 1986. It isn't. RV has left a ton of money on the table. If the big donors truly love UNT, they won't go anywhere. If they love RV, well, their choice. We can find others.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

The right AD will cultivate 2 to 3 times as many big donors. The fact that this university is the 4th largest in the state and has a mere 17 large donors is an indictment of RV, not a reason to keep him.

You have to stop thinking like this is 1986. It isn't. RV has left a ton of money on the table. If the big donors truly love UNT, they won't go anywhere. If they love RV, well, their choice. We can find others.

I sure hope you're right.

Kudos to RV for his role in getting the stadium built (with other leaders), but I can't agree with the other two positives helping his case for continued employment.

Our conference is only a small step up from the Sun Belt.

No AD in the history of I-A/FBS football ever saved his job because of performance in non-revenue sports. Especially in Texas. Football is the Father, Son, Holy Ghost and Flying Spaghetti Monster of college athletics in our state, and he's turned us into the 195th best football program in the U.S.

• Upvote 2

@Glad To Be Green

Another huge blowout with no fans in the stadium. You have cried a lot of tears supposedly meant for UNT. If you honestly care about this university, do the right thing. Stop dividing people, negotiate a buy out, and same some face. If you do this, there is still a chance that something will be named for you here. 

However, if you choose the other path and cling to this job, a lot of your legacy will be ruined.

Think about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2